hypocrisy of Theresa May and DUP alliance

hypocrisy of Theresa May and DUP alliance

Re: hypocrisy of Theresa May and DUP alliance

Well, I voted for Blair! So, I guess that makes us evens, Peter!

P.S. I'm glad you voted Tory - I posted this in today's Times. When it comes to Scotland, May is nowhere near the turncoat Cameron was! call himself a Scot? his ancestors would be cringing in their graves! At least, I stick to my principles!

Mr D Akenhead 2 hours ago
I am delighted Theresa May is meeting Macron tomorrow for a working lunch in Paris, no doubt to discuss common ground between us pre Brexit talks. Smart move, Theresa, because mercifully, it would seem his vision for the EU would seem to tie in with ours! namely, member states returning to running their own affairs, but within a free trade area. This means Brexit could be effectively put to bed, and vital ties between our great nations restored. Go, girl, I say. I'm with you all the way! The markets too, will respond accordingly, of that you can be certain! This young man has vision, and at the same time, respects the public mood. Your sobering recent experience, appears to be doing the same thing for you, and at least you are listening now to your public too. I wish you every success. I'm sorry I doubted you. You've done some good stuff for Scotland too.
3RecommendReply
Annabel 2 hours ago
@Mr D Akenhead
I wish you were right but sadly Macron's vision for reforming the EU is rather different from ours. He wants further integration in order to make the Euro work, not less integration.   He has had nothing to say so far about the non-euro countries and how they are supposed to fit into this scenario.  That is the main reason I voted Leave - because the EU are going to have to go in one direction to make the euro work, and it's not a direction that is in our or Denmark's or Sweden's interests. The EU were not interested in discussing our position properly with Mr Cameron when they should have been, given that we were their 2nd largest contributor.

I'm not convinced M Macron will succeed in achieving the further integration he wants, as this will require the German public to cough up for money transfers to poorer parts of the Eurozone, as well as fiscal union etc.  There is only so much integration even the German public can stand.  So the likely result of Macron's efforts will be continuing stasis.  The whole project is about to run into the sand, which was always its destiny, given its forward-moving, integrationist structure.   In my optimistic moments, I speculate on whether at that stage, the EU leaders might wake up and bite the bullet that says "No more integration, let's just make it a free trade area".

A man that plays Ode to Joy at his inauguration ceremony is not interested, at this stage at least, in member states running their own affairs within a free trade area, more's the pity.
FlagRecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 2 hours ago
@Annabel @Mr D Akenhead your points are well made, and I remarked as much in the Sunday Times yesterday. Theresa May is also aware that the euro cannot survive without the pound and vice versa, so arguably Macron needs to fine-tune his vision!
RecommendReply
Christopher Smith 2 hours ago
@Annabel @Mr D Akenhead "The whole project is about to run into the sand". Strange that despite the EU recognising the social democratic values of extending a fiscal helping hand to the poor and the needy inside our Continent that their economy and currency is comfortably outperforming ours now. Still, like the loony fringe at Hyde Park corner, Brexiters still smugly assure us that yes, the EU will one day fail, whereas we in our island sanctuary will march on to the sunlit uplands of even greater post imperial success. And why do Brexiters always use that word "project" as though the EU is some sort of temporary risky experiment? In its 2 generation life it has kept our young people from war in Europe, changed us from the sick man of Europe we were when we joined, to what was the 2nd largest economy of the Union and placed a check and balance on our domestic right wingers more harmful policies. Good luck Macron while you take the road most travelled and we take a by lane.
4RecommendReply
BernieBear 2 hours ago
@Mr D Akenhead In some ways you over estimate the Macron position.

French Presidents have only ever acted in the interests of the French and the Germans allow it for historical reasons. Hence why France has never had been forced to comply with the conditions of the Stability Pact.

A bit more history and fact is needed in the heady times.

The first fact is that she is having dinner and not lunch.
2RecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 2 hours ago
@BernieBear @Mr D Akenhead pedantry aside, I am acknowledging that he puts national interest first, as do we! so what's your problem?
1RecommendReply
Ian Whitlock 1 hour ago
@Mr D Akenhead
Macron is looking forward to 75% of M.Ps being his people - so should be in a negotiating mode.
FlagRecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 1 hour ago
@Ian Whitlock @Mr D Akenhead while we bankroll France!
David A
dave 1 dave 1

Re: hypocrisy of Theresa May and DUP alliance

Hi Peter,I believe Jeremy Corbyn changed his mind with Brexit.He was all for leaving until he became Leader of the labour Party,then he wished to stay with the EU,is that not turning his coat?In his campaign he as promised every thing to every body.No one seems to have asked him how he intends to find the money to cover all this expense.If he got into power it would be not far down the line before the Country became bankrupt trying to for fill all his Election promises,Would he then go cap in hand to the EU asking for a bail out,and saying what a good job it is that we never left.No doubt his followers would say what a good thing it is that we have got a Labour Government.I truly hope he does not get into power.