benefit scroungers

1234567 ... 28
alan.ennis alan.ennis

Re: benefit scroungers

I am of the opinion that if you work hard for a living then you should reap the rewards, or at least experience a positive differential from those who do not. (you should have more money). However I must say that it is sad to see the targeting of people on benefits en masse, but then it dosent surprise me as most people seem to lack the imagination or the will to see beyond any kind of official propaganda. Some people deserve to be on benefits...because they are ill or can't cope or whatever, it is because we have this system that we can hold our heads up and say we look after our sick and vulnerable. I work long hours in my taxi and yes...I pay my income tax and national insurance...plus the tax the government makes from the £200 per week I pay in fuel.

I pick up many people, and yes there have been people I have judged to be scroungers who have irritated me after getting up at 5.00am, to take them here and there in what I judged to be their pathetic lives. One such person I am no longer required to pick up. I learned that he had committed suicide after years of depression brought on by the loss of his young family in a tragic accident. I choose not to label people scroungers even in my mind now even though I know they must be out there somewhere. If you can guarantee a hundred percent accuracy in enforcement then fine, but I wouldn't want one innocent person to suffer for the sake of saving money. Thats the philosophy of criminals my friends.

Thanks for reading.
Mrs J Nicolson Mrs J Nicolson

Re: benefit scroungers

Article in yesterday's paper - Somali refugees installed in a £2million home at a cost to the taxpayer of £8,00 per month. In addition to this all of the other benefits they will be "entitled" to. No change there then. So much for George Osborne's pledge to restrict housing benefit. This is the same government who are taking away child benefit from hard pressed middle income families. They have no idea how difficult it is for a lot of young couples providing for a family and keep a roof over their heads. Like all governments they go for the easy targets. I voted for David Cameron but what a disappointment he has turned out to be. When are we going to get a government who truly stands up for the hard working people in this country?
fedupofuk fedupofuk

Re: benefit scroungers

I am total agreement with others here.  As a disabled person unable to work through a degenerative spinal condition but who has worked all my adult life until now I was appalled when I oould not work any more and had to claim benefits.  As someone who held good. well paid, jobs and paid into the system I had to fight for every penny yet I see every day those in my town who neither work or want.  These people have numerous children, usually by various partners, can go out partying every weekend, 3 or 4 foreign holidays each year and even get money from the Social Fund for Christmas presents for the kids!!!!!!  Theyappear fit and well and probably are working on the side.  How do they do this I asked the lady at the benefits office?  They know the system and can work it yet people like me, honest people who can prove their disability, are subjected to the humiliation of having to jump through hoops to get anything at all.  The system should be geared for those who have contributed to society not for those who give nothing and take all.  Even these people with multiple kids should be made to do community service with creches provided.  It may make them think twice that they are not going to get everything handed on a plate.

Re: benefit scroungers

Alan,

My personal take of the question of benefits is similar to your own in that I am always careful about judging people who receive benefits of one kind or another. Unless you a privy to the individual circumstances people should not be judgemental. However, I am not naive enough to believe that there are not a lot of people out there who could work but choose not to. I agree that the powers that be have to create the situation where it is more profitable in both terms of  finance and personal worthiness for people to work. It therefore makes more sense to me for the money to be spent on smaller and medium sized companies to be given the help and encouragement create jobs and pay a "living" minimum wage to make working worthwhile rather than pay the money out in benefits to individuals. The current minimum rate is due to increase to £6.08 (I think the pence are correct) in October which equates to approx £240.00 gross per week less than £13,000 per year. even if you live in one of the least expensive areas in the country, a single person would struggle to survive let alone an average family of four to live on this kind of money. We are all only on this planet for a finate amount of time, so as far as |I'm concerned my time is worth the same as the next person, and therefore a basic rate of pay should enable everybody to "live" as opposed to just existing.

Obviously some jobs are worth more than others due to extra skills, qualifications etc. and that is where the differential kicks in. A living wage would benefit everybody in that people would feel more valued and have more self worth and the government would receive money back through taxes, national insurance, etc.  Retailers would benefit from people having money to spend. I do not claim that this will resolve the problem entirely but I feel it would go a long way to improving the current situation.

Finally, I would add that it is wrong for people not working to be better off than those who
who are working, unless of course they a genuinely unable to work through ill health.

Re: benefit scroungers

eyeswideopen eyeswideopen

Re: Benefit Cheats

are you a cheat, do you fiddle expenses, benefits ,extra time at lunch, early dart,all fraud scamming the company, people pay tax, nat insurance, so they are entitled when unemployed, maybe we should take your house for lazing around the office, you seem to have alot of time to be writing crap,are you a retard
alison alison

Re: benefit scroungers

how dare you would you imploy some one that has bi polar depression ..meaning you have days where nothing can get you then others when you cant get out of bed ...i will tell you no you wouldnt
yes its me and every day is a struggle im not no scrounger im just trying to survive !

Re: benefit scroungers

Trish Trish

Re: benefit scroungers

I have been unemployed since finishing my degree in June. I do not qualify for Jobseekers allowance and receive no benefits except my NI contributions. This is given so long as I can show I am looking for work and as the weeks go on there are less jobs to apply for. I would love to have paid employment but beginning to despair as I approach 100 applications and no interviews.
I could fill my week with  voluntary work but if I volunteer I am not available for work. I have to sign on every two weeks making a 10 mile round trip to do so.
not all who are unemployed wish to stay that way.

Re: benefit scroungers

alex alex

Re: benefit scroungers

Small minded idiots like you wind me up,I am one of the so called benefit scroungers you are getting on your high horse about,I come from a small village and have been unemployed for some time now,before this I had worked hard most of my life,I apply for jobs I dont even want that is when there is any advertised which in my area is few and far between.I would do anything for a job but there are just none in my area,I have to travel to the nearest towns and hand out cv's and approach employers asking for work which i dont mind but there are no jobs and people like you putting down and generlising unemployed people is an absolute disgrace,yes there are scroungers but just like most things in life there a re bad apples,as we have seen lately there are bad politicians,bad police,etc....
 And maybe you should look closer at what the goverment is doing to create jobs because i know from my area sod all is being done,in fact I hope one day you do find out what the system is like once something goes wrong in your life,because I shall tell you this it is an absolute farce what has been happening in the jobcentres the last few years.
Trish Trish

Re: benefit scroungers

I agree whole heartedly. Apply for every job and rarely get even an acknowledgement. As to being helped to find work by Jobcentre you must joking. I can look through the online list myself to find what is there. Making me special appointments and handing me a printout is not helpful. I have to be there 10 minutes before the appointed time and usually have to wait 5 or 10 minutes past the time before being called. Does wonders for you self esteem I don't think
Rosie Rosie

Re: benefit scroungers

They should be helped with the first two children and after that,fend for themselves.Hard working tax payers have to limit their families,they can't afford children as they are forced to work to pay for other people to breed.
Tracey Emsden Tracey Emsden

Re: benefit scroungers

I agree with the last post. There are lots of able bodied people on the dole who don't want to work and will always find some way around for looking for a job. There are lots of organisations that rely on volunteers and people should be made to volunteer for community projects before receiving any benefits. I believe in David's comments that this Society is sick and its because a lots of people have no pride in themselves or their community these days. All those graduates who can't get a job, make them drive a meals on wheels van....or keep the parks tidy...you don't need a degree to pick up a trowel!

Re: benefit scroungers

elizabeth elizabeth

Re: benefit scroungers

Re: benefit scroungers

a patriot a patriot

Re: benefit scroungers

don't worry, herr cameron will be creating lots of jobs soon in the building sector ............ for lots of immigrants

Re: benefit scroungers

Eileen Evans Eileen Evans

Re: benefit scroungers

look at this  they get my votehttp://www.voteenglish.org/