benefit scroungers

123456 ... 28

Re: Benefits fraud

TJ,

I guess there is conflicting information out there, so if I am up to it I shall head out and get a housing benefit form tomorrow........ not to prove you wrong but more to convince myself my mind isn't rambling and I misunderstood what I saw when helping the nephew fill out his form.
Peter C
TJ TJ

Re: Benefits fraud

Peter

Save yourself the trip, the form is downloadable from from the Gov website.

Copy and pasted from the housing benefit claim form

Part 13 How we pay you
If you are a council tenant
Your council will pay any Housing Benefit you are awarded into your
rent account.
If you rent your home from a private landlord
Your council will usually pay your benefit to you. Your council can pay your
money
● straight into a bank or building society
● by cheque.
It is then your responsibility to pay your rent to your landlord.
In some cases, your council can pay your money direct to your landlord.
If you are unable to manage your rent payments, contact your council.
Your local council may ask you for more information.
If you rent your home from a housing association
You can choose how your council pays your benefit. Your council can pay
your money
● straight into a bank or building society
● by cheque, or
● direct to your landlord.

Re: Benefits fraud

TJ,

Thanks for saving me a trip to the council offices.
I am sure you have the correct information to hand if you found a download copy......

However the simple solution would be that No One gets cash to pay their housing costs and if all housing benefit is paid "Only" to a tenants landlord this person would not have been in the position to up sticks with several grand!

Simple! Problem Solved!
Peter C
TJ TJ

Re: Benefits fraud

Peter

I agree, housing benefit could, and should be paid direct to landlords which would prevent people keeping the rent money and then doing a 'moonlight'........Can't see a good reason why councils wouldn't do this as they pay council rents direct, I can only think it is administration costs.

Re: Benefits fraud

TJ,

Always glad when we find common ground to agree on.......

I have asked a neighbour who leases two houses out privately his thoughts on why housing benefits aren't made directly to him, he told me.......

Most private landlords do not want people on benefits in their property so the councils who pay the benefits give them the option to get the money in hand to hide the fact they are out off work to prevent the landlord possibly asking or demanding they leave the property.
Peter C
TJ TJ

Re: Benefits fraud

Peter

That sounds like a logical explanation, and it helps the council I suppose, as if someone can't rent privately because they are not working then it is the councils responsibilty to house them.

Re: Benefits fraud

TJ,

On that we can agree because there are enough people homeless it waiting on council housing to come available.....

I guess its the few that abuse the system once again looking for any loophole to steal....
I know you don't see it as theft and see it as a debt and debt is a civil matter not classed as a crime, I am sure many private landlords see it as fraud though because as a tenant you sign a legal binding agreement but then you do the same with a bank loan.......

Bottom line is that not paying your private landlord is a civil matter not a crime.

Re: benefit scroungers

Gill,

I agree that people should be made to do some hours work for the benefits given to them.

I have news for you....... The government has introduced a scheme but in my opinion it is just another way to massge the JSA claimant figures to appease the Tax Payers.

I have a neighbour who lost her job a little over a year ago that she had been in for the past 14yrs through no fault of her own. She was informed that she will be placed on a college course or made to sit in an office of a company to look for work all day long, every day off the week, she was also told its not work she is being made to do its being made to work looking for work or taking a course at college to further her chances of finding work.
She was told she gets her benefits paid only and she will no longer be classed as being on JSA but she will not be classed as working because if the government classes them as working they must pay the minimum wage and they would also be eligible for working tax...... so to get around this they are saying to the public they are making people work for JSA but in truth they are herding the JSA claimants in colleges or offices looking for jobs all day, five days a week for up to two years...... In my opinion this is metal torture not work and a clear case of government massaging JSA figures to appease the tax payers.

However she like you have noticed that the same young layabouts who can work but won't work and also look like they are on drugs or alcoholics who have been unemployed for years and years are not being targeted for the same treatment....... Once again this Government is closing in on the easy targets who want work but can not find work because the total lack of jobs out there can't get work.
This is only a mission to make the tax payers believe they are actively doing something about the long term unemployed when they are picking the easy Target.
Peter C
Keith Norris Keith Norris

Re: benefit scroungers

Gill,

Firstly, I completely agree with you point... However, there are many people who are forced to cheat the system because of the rules. Until a Govenment sucessfully works out a way of setting a minimum wage and topping up people who are prepared to work for less this will never be resolved. Its just that its easier to cheat the system and get more money than take a low paid job so there are no winners.

BTW I have worked and paid taxes all my life.

Re: benefit scroungers

Keith,

I understand your point about the people who find themselves in the financial situation where they are worse off in work and so they risk fraudulently claiming while working.....it doesn't make it right but its understandable why "some" do it....... and you are right the government needs to address the minimum wage issues.

My thinking is that minimum wage should be replaced with what is being called the "Living Wage" which I think should be set at £12 per hour a "Living Wage" would make people feel they were not in need off other state hand outs like a reduction in rent and council tax ...... at least they would not feel they were classed "Scrungers" like those who can work but won't work......

It must be so demeaning to be in full time work being paid minimum wage and still have to claim benefits......

So let's get rid off "minimum wage" and replace it with a "Living Wage" and give working people at the lower end some "Bride" in themselves by making them not claim other benefits.
Peter C
a patriot a patriot

Re: benefit scroungers

wow !! £12 per hour..... I could live like a king on that, like so many other people over 50 being made redundant it's very hard to find a job that pays more than minimum wage in my area. Made redundant again last september I am now on my second job and in a call centre at that being paid just pennies above the min wage, have to wear a shirt n tie and be told what to do by a 20 year old. I have worked all my life, paid in to the system and not just by tax and insurance but by all the things us peasants do, drink, drive and smoke and it grieves me no end to read about what all these immigrants can claim for, in addition to our jobs being outsourced, we even import workers because apparently we are too thick to be employable. Unless we see a dramatic change in our government we are up the shitter . Well done herrr blair and herr cameron for fulfilling hitlers dream !!

Re: benefit scroungers

A patriot,

The Living Wage set at £12 per hour would mean no housing or council tax or working tax ......
This would give £450 app per week and after paying your bills and transport costs would give a reasonable amount of money left to give a Living standard that would reward this in work and would be a huge incentive to get people away from a life on benefits or cheating the system and give them some self worth which every working person should be afforded....... and if it means you could live like a King then so you should.
Peter C
Trev West Trev West

Re: benefit scroungers

Paul C I think you live in cloud cockoo land £12.00 as a minimum wage Who would fund this Service companies would up prices, fuel etc would cost more and still the idle b******s who wont work would be subsidised by the real people who try to make a better living for their families and always get penilised.

By the way two people in our area have just been taken in care homes ,one who has worked all her life, as had to sell her home to cover the cost of care, the other a well known local P*** artist living in subsidised council accomodation vertually all his life and who openly  boasts about not working, as costs paid for by the state. IS THIS CORRECT.

Perhaps we should all say to hell with it and retire on the £12.00 per hour as you suggest ab let the goverment keep us all

Re: benefit scroungers

Fred West,

My views on a "Living Wage" of £12 per hour to replace the minimum wage of £5.94 per hour will most likely never happen, I am not living in cloud cuckoo land it is only my views to lift people out the poverty trap which many find themselves in where the difference from going into work on minimum wage and still having to claim benefits ie; rent and council tax which is in itself paid from tax payers coffers.
In my opinion anyone who puts a full 5 day week in should be paid a decent hourly rate which when they pick up their wage packet should not have to be forced to go cap in hand to claim rent or council tax rebates.....

I to have worked all my life as well paid my taxes fully paid up pension pot etc my mortgage is paid off and I have unfortunately fallen ill and will never work again, I have had to fund my own aids I need to get around electric wheel chair, wet room, widen doors etc etc and there are people I know also who have spent as they earned and they get things paid for them just as you described about in your neighbourhood, the difference between your thinking and mine is.......

I see how lucky I have been in the past to be in uninterrupted employments with good wages but I also know many people less fortunate and have been in and out work through no fault of their own but through companies greed to suppress wages and the staff are the first to be cast aside to save a buck..... therefore they would fall into your description between the neighbour who has had to sell their home and the guy who gets it all paid for him.....

Tell me why do you blame the guy who needs things paid for him?
Why don't you blame the politicians and governments who force people who have done better out off life after all it is their laws that force us who have tried to better ourselves to sell our homes or pay for our own aids when illness and disability strikes, not those who haven't been as fortunate

You see the guy you described as a Piss Artists to be at fault for having things paid for him, where I see the government being at fault because the Conned and encouraged many people to buy their home and to save for old age only to make complete fools and idiots out us all by then making everything means tested and then tell us we need to sell our homes or use our savings to pay for our own care.... This is hardly the fault off people unemployed who do get help!
I see governments to blame and they are the "Real" Piss Artists and Con Artists!
If I knew back 40 years ago that the government were going to means test everything and force me to sell my home should I need to go into a care home to pay my costs and if I knew the guy next to me was going to have his costs paid for him...... then I would have been a little more wiser about how I set my future out and I to would be getting everything paid for me.
Peter C
 'Brush-top 'Brush-top

Re: benefit scroungers

 Peter C, this is the first time I have visited the site, you seem to be very active, I think you must be around the same age as me. You do seem to have some quite radical views, I like that. I do not reside in UK, I left for warmer climes 12 years ago hoping for a little relief from Arthitus, sadly to no avail but still very happy. With plenty of time on my hands I do watch TV quite a lot, I prefere the news and current affairs programs. I have found myself getting really angry of late with what I feel is the irresponsible decisions that the government is making, there appear to be so many that I have started to wonder if I am becoming senile but having read some of the letters on this sight I now realise that I am not alone in my thoughts. Although many of the decisions do not affect me I feel for the people that are affected, in many cases people who are unable or find it difficult to speak up for themselves, such as the elderly or disabled. I cringe when I hear that benefits of £4.5 Billion are paid to Drug Addicts and Alcoholics [ this figure includes supplying Methadone to the Addicts] and by the same breath we see Day Centres being closed down,Libraries, Homes for the Elderly, the list goes on. Why is the British taxpayer financing the bombing of Lybia and yet the world stands by and watches Syria use Tanks on its people, Mugabe strips the assets of Zimbabwe and the world stands by and watches, could the difference be 'OIL'.  It's a wonderful thing to help people less fortunate than ourselves but should we not get our own house in order first, I was brought up to always live within my means or cut you garment according to your cloth, good old fashion ideals. Do you ever watch 'Saints and Scroungers' what a revelation, who do you blame, the 'Claiments' of those who let them get away with it, food for thought.  Must go now, time to eat, I look forward to returning to this site.

Re: benefit scroungers

Brush-top,

I have been active on this "Have Your Say" for a while now. I first thought this site was a direct line into the Tory party and David Cameron himself but it turned out not to be so...... I have never had a direct reply from anyone in the Tory party even though I am assured by the guy who created this site (adminukpolotics) that politicians and journalist do read comments left here on this site, whether this is true or not is open to debate!

However I feel strongly about what is and has happened to this once Great country we call the UK and in particular the lack of control over our own boarders by being forced to remain in the EU without the people being allowed their right to decide in a "Referendum" which has been denied by successive government.

Next is the slow creeping "Islamification" of our homeland the UK!

In Britain today to speech out ones views on Islam/Muslims or immigration of any kind you are immediately branded a "Racists" this is a deliberate ploy to marginalize and silence the indigenous Anglo Saxon's from speech out about both "Islamification" and "Immigration"...... these need to be openly debated on a level playing field without the "Racist" card being pulled out and used to further one section over the others.

You said I have some "Radical" views, believe me this country is in "Dire" need of a radical overhaul.....

I write on this website, politicians and newspapers in the vain hope that someone somewhere will be encouraged to stand up for what our "Forefathers" fought and died for in two World Wars which was to keep this country free for "Their" Sons and Daughters as well as Queen/King and country but these politicians we have had over the last 40 years or so are slowly giving the "Sovereignty" of "Our" country away to "Brussels Bureaucrats" who tell us what we can and cannot do, change our laws, force us to accept immigrants, make us pay millions of pounds to be a member of this "Elitist" club that the British people do not want to be part off but our politicians do want to be in the EU club and so they have lied to drag the people into the EU, they have denied us our "Democratic" right to have our say in a "Referendum" on the EU because they know the British people "Will" reject the EU overwhelmingly!

Anyway rant is over!

You asked me who I think is to blame to the following.....

"Do you ever watch 'Saints and Scroungers' what a revelation, who do you blame, the 'Claiments' of those who let them get away with it, food for thought."

My reply......

Yes I do watch the "Saints and "Scrungers" program........

Who do I blame..... I blame every politician, every political party for not coming up with a much more fairer system to make being in work pay more handsomely than remaining out of work, what is the politicians answer make people work for a minimum wage and make them go cap in hand to claim housing and council tax benefits which most be degrading after working a full weeks work, so I believe they should double the minimum wage and give these people a standard of living they deserve but the "Rich" want poverty wages while they make billions, so yeah we need a "Radical" change towards getting people who are and will work feel valued and not force them into the situation where they "Have" to work and claim benefits they should not be claiming....... yes there will always be the jack the lads who will cheat but in the whole, I believe most people would stop "Risk" being caught and accept a reasonable "Living Wage"........

So yeah I blame "Governments" ....... I don't condone benefits cheats but until it is addressed you cannot blame people from doing what they do to survive! because as every hard working tax payer knows for sure the governments will tax us at source and in every thing we purchase to the "Grave".....

You see the tax payers money isn't David Cameron's or any politicians money so they do not take the safety measures needed to ensure the tax payers money is spent and protected like the would if it were their own money...... always easier to spend other peoples money rather than your own and politicians are the "Masters" off "Waste"
Peter C
Frankie Frankie

Re: benefit scroungers

Dear David having met u in oxford once i found u to be a really charming man . so imagine how i felt and the horror inside me about mentally ill people killing themselves after being told by ATOS they had failed their assessments and were fit for work .
 One poor soul had been assessed up to 3 times each time winning his appeal. In the end he sadly ended his life .This is morally wrong.
 These people are not being protected like you promised but being hounded to death . Bipolar and Schizophrenia cannot be faked so why are these poor souls being treated like this to save money? after all u have lots of money to bomb Libya.
 There are lots of scroungers if i'm honest with you but people with these illnesses are not scroungers. These are life-threatening illnesses.
 To have Bipolar and so on, and ATOS say you are fit to work, but the Jobcentre say you are not, is wrong - morally.
 The british public are a caring, loving race, and are known for their charitable ways. But i don't think they know the truth about how these poor souls are being treated with these two untreatable illnesses.
People with Bipolar and Schizophrenia should be exempt from the new ESA assessment. They need the good british public to fight their corner for them because they can't do it themselves.
We need your love, protection and care.
eyeswideopen eyeswideopen

Re: benefit scroungers

WAIT TILL YOU NEED HELP THEN YOU WILL SEE WHOS THE SCROUNDGERS,THE HAVE FIDDLED MILLIONS ALONG WITH MPS, PEOPLE PAY NAT INSURANCE FOR SUCH BENEFITS, AS TO BE UNEMPLOYED, THEY ARE ENTITLED TO THEM WHEN NEEDED.
fedupwithuk fedupwithuk

Re: benefit scroungers

I am, unfortunately, forced to live on benefits due to a very painful disability.  However, I worked for as long as I could and maybe even longer than I should.  I had really good jobs and paid my tax and national insurance like any good citizen.  What really angered me was that every day I see people in my locality who ither work nor want.  Most have never worked and I have seen them every day for 30 years in the pub every day.  I had to fight for every last penny even thoug my disability is easily proven by xrays.  Even the women at the benefits office told me the whole system is geared for people who know how to use it.  I was honest and frank in my answers and it took a year to get things sorted.  My condition  degenerative and I will not get better but at least I am alive.  Why is the system not geared for those who have paid their dues instead of those who have never contributed anything to society and why are those of us who are honest being penalised instead of those who are not?
alan.ennis alan.ennis

Re: benefit scroungers

I am of the opinion that if you work hard for a living then you should reap the rewards, or at least experience a positive differential from those who do not. (you should have more money). However I must say that it is sad to see the targeting of people on benefits en masse, but then it dosent surprise me as most people seem to lack the imagination or the will to see beyond any kind of official propaganda. Some people deserve to be on benefits...because they are ill or can't cope or whatever, it is because we have this system that we can hold our heads up and say we look after our sick and vulnerable. I work long hours in my taxi and yes...I pay my income tax and national insurance...plus the tax the government makes from the £200 per week I pay in fuel.

I pick up many people, and yes there have been people I have judged to be scroungers who have irritated me after getting up at 5.00am, to take them here and there in what I judged to be their pathetic lives. One such person I am no longer required to pick up. I learned that he had committed suicide after years of depression brought on by the loss of his young family in a tragic accident. I choose not to label people scroungers even in my mind now even though I know they must be out there somewhere. If you can guarantee a hundred percent accuracy in enforcement then fine, but I wouldn't want one innocent person to suffer for the sake of saving money. Thats the philosophy of criminals my friends.

Thanks for reading.
123456 ... 28