Ukip's triumph

TilneyC TilneyC

Ukip's triumph

No longer can the Government assume that the millions of those who voted for UKIP in the European Elections are working class people of low intelligence. It will not work to just assume that 'business as usual' will be sufficient to secure a majority for the Conservatives in 2015.
I do think there is an element of protest voting going on but more importantly, it is my view that people are using the only legitimate way they can to tell the Government that they are fed up with being told how to live their lives by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.
The civil service in Whitehall are guilty of making the situation worse because when a Directive or Recommendation comes from Brussels they seem to seize the opportunity to over complicate the ensuing legislation. Many additions are made to the basic Directive when a new Act of Parliament is drawn up.
In short ALL UK Governments use the EU to manipulate the electorate and then hope to place the blame firmly with Brussels.
We are not all stupid.
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Ukip's triumph

The three main Parties do think the Electorate is stupid,they act as if the Electorate is stupid,and so they tell us what the people will have,not what the people want.The people of this Country should take note,that the power of their vote can rock the foundations from under these career politicians,now that there is an alternative Party to vote for.There are also smaller Parties out there instead of just voting for the usual three.People have no excuse for not voting.Their vote is THE only power they hold to change the way this Country is run.It is also my belief that a protest vote is when a voter spoils their vote,all other votes are for what the voter as chosen.

Re: Ukip's triumph

Tilney, firstly can I say welcome to the Forum, I have not come across contributions from you before so I hope I am right in assuming you are a new member. I am in total agreement with your comments here. The assumption that the electorate are
stupid is the underlying problem that we all have and hopefully more people will use their vote to send a clear message to all parties that enough is enough.  Sadly it still appears that the Labour Party and the Lib Dems remain in denial that immigration is
at the top of the list of the majority of the electorate's concerns and whilst Mr Cameron is attempting to appease, he is still way off the mark as far as I am concerned and not to be trusted as genuine. Give him an inch and he'll take miles.
fiferalfa2 fiferalfa2

Re: Ukip's triumph

Hi oracle
               i cannot believe how ignorant the three main parties are after just being beaten by a party that is for the indigineous population and how blatantly the EU ignores the vote from across the continent the sooner UKIP can get a foothold in westminster the better maybe just maybe the elitist establishment will realise we will not be treated as idiots the best labour polotician was John Smith and would have made labour what it should be not a splinter group of the tories

Re: Ukip's triumph

Hi All,

Just posted this on Times digital, sickened by Matthew Parris and David Aaronovich dismissing UKIP as a temporary aberration!

Mr D Akenhead
7 minutes ago

No mention of the REAL issues afflicting 'these days of trial' you mention, like long-term youth unemployment, dismissing ex-pats who have served Queen and country and freezing their pensions, ignoring the Home Secretary's lamentable inability to account for a doubling of immigration to UK above the so-called guideline of 100,000 a year, putting intolerable pressure on our social services, the police, education and the National Health! You and Matthew Parris may pat yourselves on each other's backs for maintaining your so-called high ground against the forces of evil; but these fictional 'forces' of which you speak are fast becoming that silent majority who see Nigel Farage, a bit like Ken Clarke used to be, (until he lost himself in the mire of Europe and the Judiciary), as a man ready to represent the concerns of the people of Britain, rather than kow-tow to the will of Brussels. Both of you clearly cannot see what most of us can, someone who is saying we DO NOT WANT A EUROPEAN FEDERATION about which we never had or will have a say. WE WANT to be self-governing and be a member of a European Free Trade Area with a leader who will listen finally and ACT on behalf of the silent majority. You are right, in one respect, the wind has risen up, but it will not die down. On the contrary, this victory will add fire to the cause of the forgotten and ignored British subjects of birth in my beloved homeland who are fast becoming the secondary peoples of Britain to the other nationalities of Europe claiming and receiving equal rights. If we could forever be benevolent to all and sundry in harmony and without friction there might be some merit in what you advocate, but our little island group is long past breaking point, and is living on borrowed time and money! Harken to Newton. For every action there is an equal and opposed reaction! That's life! Keith Vaz may claim the truth is very different in big cities, like Leicester, until we realise that it has become along with Bradford a very different city from the 1950s and 60s where today Shariah Law with all its barbaric customs appears more respected than the Christian heritage which preceded it. I say enough, if we wish to retain any remnant of what our parents shed life and limb for. Thus speaks a moderate Conservative. Get used to it and extricate yourselves from your cosy ivory towers, and begin to address the REAL concerns of your readers!
David A