Theresa May's U-turn

Theresa May's U-turn on the so-called Dementia Tax is all about realising she is only going to lose votes from those with wealth.

So much for leadership, a good leader gets it right first time and not trying to be opportunistic as she wanted to look like she was not all for the wealthy who vote Tory.

Her dementia tax or death tax was a lame attempt to win over the JAM's  and show she was not only for the wealthy but at the same time I have hear and read nothing about what Theresa May and Tories are going to do the help the Just About Managing.

This U-turn has highlighted the Tories like Leopards never change their spots.

For example.......

No U-turn on Bedroom Tax

No U-turn on assault on Disabled

No U-turn on policies that have created thousands of food banks that are used not only with unemployed but by the WORKING POOR.

I for one do not think the Tories can or should be trusted with Brexit alone.

I want a good Brexit not a Tory only version of Brexit!!

Re: Theresa May's U-turn

Hi Peter,
I don't trust the Tories with Brexit as you well know, even less so now that they have been forced to do a u-turn on the 'dementia' tax .  They are so pathetic and obviously will do anything to get the wealthy pensioners vote. I wonder who will be the recipient of an alternative policy - the poor will get screwed again no doubt.
This woman is not who she purports to be or even what she would like to be. All bluff and bluster and no substance - changes her mind when expedient - she is more interested in winning than serving the country and has tried desperately to make this election all about Brexit when it simply is not! As you pointed out - no u-turn on the bedroom tax or for the disabled or for those having to use food banks. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a working person and still not have sufficient money to feed my children - it is a disgrace.  I get absolutely furious when these people are accused of being low-life's or similar when it is only possible to get vouchers for food banks from GP's, the CAB or Social Services. Also it is only possible to get help for a limited number of days fore week - there supplies are not unlimited.

Re: Theresa May's U-turn

admittedly the jam is getting pretty thin to spread in the wake of a surging Euro post French election, and a divorce bill of 100 billion euros. May's best bet is Donald Trump right now, but he's in dire straits too. I pray he survives for all our sakes. The weak are going to the wall, here in Canada too because of our pathetic Liberal Premier, who like Jeremy Corbyn is a nice chap, but can't comprehend the base rule of a capitalist society - that NO welfare is possible without GDP growth! I think John Kelly would agree with me, and possibly, Mary too! personally, I like to think I'm a bit of a Jack of many trades as as long as I am blessed with a healthy brain! My partner on the other hand, needs help of all kinds, including chronic pain and her type one diabetes, and while this stupid government is instructing medics to reduce the doses because of their ignorance of narcotics, we have to look to alternative treatments to bridge the pain threshold. This greedy society is its own worst enemy with the weak going to the wall as I write. Disraeli understood the meaning of compassionate Conservatism, and so I think, do I. I hope Mrs May does too, but I think she has yet to prove she does in these very difficult times.

Re: Theresa May's U-turn

The trouble is David - GDP won't grow without investment.  Investment depends on education, skills, good health which also need investment. A society cannot function without a skilled, educated and healthy well-paid and happy workforce - we don't have them. I think our society was willing to suffer from a period of austerity, albeit unnecessary, [depending on your political ideology] but I am not all sure this is now the case - they are not reaping any rewards from austerity - there is still a skills shortage, education is expensive and no longer has credence and our health system is failing. Wages haven't grown sufficiently,decent  housing is beyond the reach of many etc etc. Is May the answer? Not in my opinion - we need a little more than the simple platitudes she is spouting - strong and stable is simply not enough especially given that she can change her manifesto from one day to the next.

Re: Theresa May's U-turn

I agree with you Mary, your reasoning is faultless, and I wasn't much of a fan of her earlier lamentable performances before ousting the dismal Cameron, who, Peter will doubtless tell you, I have no time for either, but Trump may well come to her aid, if only because Angela Merkel caused him distinct uneasiness when he confronted her over Germany's overdue commitment to NATO (and she doubtlessly reminded him in private of the common need to keep their currencies strong by not forgetting the huge debt owing to Germany for the mysterious movement of their gold deposits to an embarrassing location, to settle a balance of payments problem, I understand. Three guesses who?!!!) less said the better, in the current climate!

This is the sort of nonsense we are facing daily in our precarious topsy-turvy world!

Re: Theresa May's U-turn

I just submitted this to Times Digital - Tacitus's post sums up the situation for me!

Tacitus 3 hours ago
@Andrew Wilson There you go "The UK has already been told" - we are not going to settle like Greece and then get kicked up the derriere like Greece.  We are not allowing cherry picking on either side.  It's the whole deal or no deal.  I would not go into any negotiation where the other side tells me how I am going to negotiate.  Maybe you would.

We have done nothing wrong.

We are leaving.

We don't have to have a deal.

They need our trade, our money and to maintain a plethora of services.

Maybe when they drop the bullying, the arrogance and bluster they will be worth talking to - but not until.
FlagRecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 5 minutes ago
@Tacitus @Andrew Wilson well said, Tacitus! Listen to the classic argument, I say! Veni, vidi, vici and you will Mrs May, if your electorate stop squabbling like misguided children and get right behind you! The die is cast! Wake up! We've already crossed the Rubicon, or hadn't you noticed, and the opposition won't give an inch unless they have to!