The ills of our NHS

This post was updated on .
I am sick and tired about the manner in which all leaders of our political parties are not held to account with regard to the promises made to the electorate. They all bandy about eye watering sums of money that are quite frankly incomprehensible to the ordinary man in the street and in many cases to the very people who are quoting them. Diane Abbott springs to mind! The intended figures to be spent on the NHS change from one day to the next, whilst never mentioning two of the largest drains on the resources.
Firstly the obscene amounts of money paid to chief executives, management, and even down to the ordinary administrative staff who by comparison to the private sector are also well paid. Surely the people paid the best salaries should be the medical staff and not the pen pushers. These people have basically a nine to five job, gold plated pensions and when they fail in their duties are paid exorbitant sums of money and very soon employed back in the NHS, in another region. Like the majority of management in this country many are just not up to the job and do not deserve the salaries they are paid. By comparison, doctors, nurses and other medical staff work vastly more hours many of them unsocial and generally under enormous pressure most of the time and I have no doubt that many would agree with me.
The other problem I have issues with are the numbers of foreigners treated in our hospitals who are not charged for their treatment and the failure of “administrative staff” to collect monies billed to other countries, including charges to EU countries who bill the NHS for treatment to Brits. The NHS is supposed to be free at the point of need but that doesn’t mean it should not have to be paid for by people who have not contributed to our system. Let’s not forget the NHS is a NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE not an INTERNATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE.
There is of course the other issue of large numbers of medical staff not being employed by a particular Health Trust or indeed individual hospital. Agency medical staff are costing the NHS billions. It is no use continuing to throw Billions of pounds to a system that is ultimately flawed and where additional funds are going to be wasted.
My final point is relevant to all promises made by political parties on many issues, where I believe that they are well aware they cannot be met. These should be subject to criminal prosecutions for those involved when they fail to make good on promises made.