The Queen's Speech

It was reported today that David Cameron is to announce new measures to control extremism with the ability to close mosques that are used to promote hate and ban organisations. This extremism bill will be a key part of the Queen's Speech I trust he will take this opportunity to include the banning of Sharia Law in this country and make the practising of such a criminal offence. The laws of the land must remain paramount regardless of peoples religion.

Re: The Queen's Speech

This post was updated on .
He hasn't got the b***s sadly, but you are absolutely right, Sharia Law is a plague like Islamic Front, as I choose to call it, and needs eradication!

The law, that is. I will make it clear, that I hold human life dear, and am not talking annihilation, but containment!

Re: The Queen's Speech

David A

Banning Sharia as a component of extremist grooming is fair enough, however what concerns me is that unless the wording of such a law was specific to Islamic extremism, then it could be extended to include any political or religious group who's views the Government saw as a threat to it's operational credibility, as such this could be a way of restricting freedom of speech and more dangerously a threat to freedom of thought as well.

Re: The Queen's Speech

Well, I would say it was extremist in its doctrinaire attitude to their law's interpretation, and equally heinous, the execution (and I don't use that word sparingly!) of said law within the groups they do no consider conformist, including women and children, and any infidels! Yes! I say the proponents are as bad of that extreme Islamic front that plagues our world!

Re: The Queen's Speech

Re: The Queen's Speech

Peter C

Perhaps our critique of Islam, it's prophet Muhammed and Muslim society could be deemed extremist in nature by some rather than the real time reflection of the actual  impact of Islam's presence in the UK on the lives of all non Muslims?

Re: The Queen's Speech

I agree with the posts - of course we want to tackle extremism but it has to be defined and we have to be absolutely certain that we retain our freedom of speech. Sharia law is not British law and should be outlawed - British law is the only law of the land.
Islam can and should be compatible with living in this country - extremism of any sort is not but should not be outlawed - I would rather see and hear what people have to say - pushing underground is dangerous. Hence my desire for the maintenance of free speech. I know that this may sound very punitive but if people choose to live in this country they have to undertake to abide by our laws.  Freedom of men and women is an integral part of our society.
The schools inspectorate has discovered 100 illegal religious schools today - both Moslem and Jewish.  I think all education should be secular and give children the opportunity to learn about all faiths and cultures. This may not appeal to many but it does offer a more equal playing field.
My experience of my local schools all without religious bas is excellent - unfortunately the staff are under constant pressure with children of different faiths, cultures and also children from families who are unable to cloth, feed, get their child to school or even clean their teeth. Teachers are expected to parent children these days.
I digress - I always fear governments that propose banning  - especially a state of mind or religious belief - this needs to proceed with care. We are already under continual observation, constantly checked and our privacy invaded - we can barely move without the government knowing what we are doing etc - it is like so many other things they dress it up to look like protection of society but there is likely to be a much more sinister agenda - more control of the people by the government. Could I have a point?