Syria

1234

Re: Syria

Changed my line on Syria in light of recent developments

Posted this on Bloomberg today...

Lanark Relic 1 hour ago 1 comment collapsed
Collapse Expand I think this is once again a false dawn shared by a handful of optimists. Very surprised to see the Dow back over 15k! There are that many fundamentalists among the rebels that Kerry and his band of do-gooders should pause for thought. What do you prefer the real enemies of the US who threaten the very notions of freedom which are dear to us, or age-old dictatorships whose traditional hold on power will be clung on to at the cost of increased bloodshed and desperation? Hard choice that one, but the latter is the lesser threat to the US in my book. Ironically, left alone to their devices, and a cast-iron assurance from Bashar Assad that chemical weapons will no longer be used (if the intercepted calls are anything to go by, Assad's express wishes for restraint were too late), Assad could well win his struggle and restore the independence of his nation once again. Weaken it further and the so-called 'rebels' will assure that World War III looms even closer than it already is! Have Obama and Kerry completely lost their senses? The best way to decelerate this war is to offer a home to the refugees - most Syrians are good hardworking people - and enforce a freeze of the assets of all factions to this war.

Re: Syria

David,

Assad and Russia have now offered to openly get rid off "all" Syria's chemical weapons.

This must be a positive and America should now step back from the brink and cancel any planned strike on Syria.
Peter C
Boomer Boomer

Re: Syria

If Asad accepts the Russian proposal to Isolate all of his chemical weapons it would support the claim that Asad forces did not launch the chemical attack in the first place. We have still to see any proof that he did, despite the Americans shouting that they have proof. Where is it? what is it? why don't you show us the proof?   if the proof is as reliable as that about Iraq then we can say that the Americans are just looking for any excuse to launch an attack. Reading between the lines I think that the Rebels are on their last legs and the Americans (CIA) have told them that they need an excuse to intervene ( such as proof of chemical weapons being used)  so the rebels have obliged probably using gas supplied by the CIA. I can't understand why the Americans would prefer an Al kahida  led dictatorship as opposed to an Asad secular dictatorship. I don't think anyone expects a democratic regime to arise out of this civil war.
If the Americans do attack and Asad retaliates against Israel (a likely source of any attack, as Asad would cliam) then we will see the start of ww3.

Re: Syria

Totally agree, Peter!

Re: Syria

Here's my latest posting on Bloomberg...

Lanark Relic 7 minutes ago 1 comment collapsed
Collapse Expand Let's face it. Obama and Kerry have so totally backed the wrong horse here, and Putin and Assad are laughing. No American boys to go for this one, please! Not only is it not worth one more American. boy's life but to me it spells Armageddon clearly enough... That said, if Obama hadn't created an almighty stink in the first place, chances are Putin would not have played this card. So credit to Obama for being tough, and credit to him too for consulting Congress when he could have acted unilaterally had he chosen to do so. I agree that the very best solution is for Syria to give up her stockpile to UN inspectors to ensure their removal (destruction will be costly, pointless as well as dangerous) Then Obama would do well to sit down with Assad and Putin to hasten the end of this utterly pointless and futile war.
Save editorCancel
Edit Reply 0 Like

Re: Syria

John K,

I have done a little research into the possibility off America having weapons that could Vaporise chemical agents which would prevent more casualties from any strike on Syria's chemical stockpiles, this is what I have found........

Air Force Developed Bombs Capable of Destroying Syria’s Chemical Weapons

The U.S. Air Force has spent years developing so-called “Agent Defeat Weapons” designed to target and destroy stockpiles of chemical or biological weapons without dispersing or releasing them to surrounding areas.

“The U.S. Air Force has Agent Defeat Weapons designed to limit collateral damage and effects,” Air Force spokeswoman Jennifer Cassidy told Military​.com. “The munitions are PAW (Passive Attack Weapon) and Crash Pad.”

Both of these weapons would be carried by aircraft such as the F-15 or F-22 fighter jets and B-2 or B-1 bombers. It’s likely the Air Force would deploy the weapons from a B-2 or F-22 to take advantage of their radar-evading stealth technology considering the advanced air defense systems in Syria.

The CrashPad, or BLU-119/B weapon is a high-heat explosive bomb designed to incinerate chemical agents before they can be harmful, according to defense officials and DoD documents.

The weapon is a 420-pound, high-heat incendiary weapon with what’s called a “blast-fragmentation” warhead. The Crash Pad is built from an existing standard MK 84 bomb body. The “PAD” in CrashPad stands for “Prompt Agent Defeat,” referring to the weapon’s ability to destroy chemical and biological agents without causing contamination, official documents describe.

The Passive Attack Weapon, or PAW, involves firing a host of steel and tungsten penetrator rods to create a “kinetic energy” battlefield effect without using an explosive. The weapon, first used to knock out antennas in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, is among the weapons used to advance what strategists call “effects based warfare.”

The idea with effects-based warfare is to achieve a strategically valuable battlefield “effect” without necessarily having to damage or attack large portions of the infrastructure of the attacked country or area. The PAW penetrator rods, which range from several inches to more than one-foot, can disable an enemy fuel tank, antenna or helicopter without necessarily damaging people.

One analyst said if the PAW were to be fired from a high enough altitude and was able to travel with enough terminal velocity – it could destroy chemical weapons stockpiles without releasing contaminants.

“When you hit something at high velocity, what you get is a flash of incredible heat in a confined area extremely fast. That can vaporize everything in small area,” said Daniel Goure, vice president of the Lexington Institute, a Virginia-based think tank.

Goure likened the effect to the impact of so-called “Sabo” Kinetic Energy 120mm tank rounds fired by the U.S. Army’s M1Abrams tank.

“A Sabo round is essentially the same thing, a combination of spalling and heat effects. The round melts its way into the tank,” he said.

Being able to generate enough heat sufficient to incinerate or neutralize the harmful agents is an essential ingredient to the success of Agent Defeat Weapons, according to military officials and scientists.

Re: Syria

Peter C

Impressive research, so it would seem that the US could totally neutralise the Syrian chemical warfare capability with ease assuming they know exactly where the Syrians have moved them to.

Re: Syria

John K,

Glad you found it off interest......

I want to throw this into the mix, see what others think......

Are we seeing the Tribulation as  End  Time  prophecies being played out in the middle east byIsrael and the American bible belt!!

The one thing that hasn't been taken into consideration is...

The Jews/Israelis need to rebuild a third temple on the Temple Mount.

The Jews control America, America will defend Israel no matter what......

These religious nut cases believe so much in the second coming of their "Christ" they are creating the conditions that are foretold......

Has anyone read about.....

Tribulation as  End  Time  prophecies  specifically  foretell......

Please take a read at this article and research the subject yourself and I look forward to hearing others opinions.

Click the link and read.....

http://www.heisnear.com/TerroristsEndTimesWW3.html

Re: Syria

Peter C

Peter old boy have you perchance seen the light, have you been reborn in Christ?

Or are you mischieviously laying out traps for the evangelists?

Re: Syria

John K,

I don't know about being a reborn in Christ but I was born into a Protestant (Church of Scotland) family, my best friend in childhood and still is a close friend was born into a Roman Catholic family, growing up together we both hated the anger between both sets of religious bigots but our friendship survived because we had better eyes to see that religion is the source off unhappiness warring factions between religious groups.

This is what brought me to making my recent post about Jews/Israelis and their ...... End Times prophecies.

Religious factions are "THE BIGGEST THREAT" to love and peace on this plant......

Don't get me wrong most people of the faith in all God figures do much good but we can easily see one religion v another (Muslim v Christian) are playing out a very dangerous path in the hope of a "Second Coming of Christ"....... They actually believe in these prophecies.

Clink the link and read more about their "End Times" about past, present and future events which is driving them to create the "End Times".

World current events, trends, signs of the end times and Bible prophecy

Sent from my HTC One

Peter old boy have you perchance seen the light, have you been reborn in Christ?

Or are you mischieviously laying out traps for the evangelists?

http://have-your-say.915577.n3.nabble.com/Syria-tp4029977p4030128.html
To unsubscribe from Syria, click here.
NAML

Re: Syria

Peter C

I was born into a Roman Catholic family and so was force fed the indoctrination of the "true faith" from birth, to the extent that I became an altar boy and later the head altar boy responding to the priest during mass in Liturgical Latin verse.

However at 13 I began to think for myself and noting the rampant hypocrisy of the clergy and the unreconcilable contradictions of church dogma I took a conscious decision to abandon the faith that was never mine by choice. I never considered joining any other church or creed and from the age of 13 till I was 54 I could easily be termed an agnostic almost verging on being an atheist.

In 2001 while on holiday in Turkey, I went on a tourist trip to Ephesus which also took in a visit to a small mountain nearby where it is believed that the mother of Jesus spent her final years in the care of the Apostle John, on approaching the site I experienced a total physical collapse which felt as though I had been hit by a speeding car or been butted in the chest by a bull, all the air in my lungs was pushed out by the impact, yet there was nothing and nobody near me that could have caused this to happen.

At the time of this incident the temperature was 38_40 degrees C yet my body temperature was recorded by the Red Crescent at just 11 C, emotionally I was a total wreck, I was experiencing the worst sadness I have ever endured, much worse than when I lost my parents and worse than I experienced at the loss of my older brothers, this feeling lasted for three days
duringwhich my body temperature gradually recovered.

I have consulted my doctor, a Catholic Priest and a CofE Vicar but none were able to advise me what had happed, I think that I had a spiritual event, an awakening if you like, I am still a skeptic where religion is concerned by I have to admit to a change of thinking where God, Jesus Christ and the Biblical story is concerned and am now more open minded to every thing(except the EU, HaHa)

Re: Syria

John K,

I am sure what you experienced was real and I accept that many unusual phenomenon takes place and happen to many people.

I have had my own unexplainable phenomenon taking place shortly after my 72 year old mother died 12 years ago. I had found her death particularly hard to deal with and a few days after her funeral was over, I had been sitting at my computer, thinking about a blog I was going to write, I had a handful of Minstrel sweets in my hand, my wife called on me so I slammed the minstrel sweets down on my desk, I could not believe the result as I got up but the sweets had formed a perfect cross,         .

                            OOOOO

This is a crude mockup but you'll get the picture......

What would be the percentages off a random handful of Minstrel sweets falling into this shape.

On another occasion ten days after my mother died, again sat at my computer, no one else in the room and my mother's bible with had been put in a cardboard box with a couple off books on top, feel out the cupboard and landed at me feet.

I'm sure you'll agree very unusual events and I know they are not as extreme as the event you described, so I have a health respect that their may well be something else that we don't understand it or can explain away but what that something is..... Who knows!!

So I accept what happen to you to be genuine event in your life......
I can also accept the fact that their may well be a bigger external power but what or who it is I am not convinced in a God figure.

Re: Syria

First we must examine what the word God means to each of us, does it conjure up a picture of a wise old man with a long white beard sitting on a celestial cloud, for me that example is a hangover from the Greeco/Roman pantheon of gods that they in turn inherited from the Hindu/Sanscrit traditions of ancient India.

My understanding of GOD is of a Supreme intelligence, all knowing, all powerful, invisible and omnipresent that has granted to the human race a gift of gradual enlightenment that has set us apart from the animal kingdom so that we can achieve all that is our destiny to so do.

My opinion of religion is that it is totally divorced from GOD because it is the construct of mankind for the control of mankind for the sole enrichment of those who control the many and various religions that plague the world.All religions display an arrogant  and counterproductive message that mankind was created by God in his image, giving the impression that man is somehow godlike in appearance and that God has a definitive sexuality(male).

Judaism
The original monotheistic religion arrogantly states that this planet is less than 6000 years old totally ignorin facts established by science, and by the logic of the human intellect that mans presence on earth can be compared to a single blink of an eye not just in the lifetime of a single human being but in the collective lifetimes of every human that has ever lived. Yet there is something special contained within its teachings contained in the Torah(Bible).

Christianity
The fulfillment of Biblical prophesy, essentially restating the authority of the Jewish faith, but hijacked by the Romans for Sociological/Political reasons that could prop up the decaying Roman Empire, to do this it was essential for Rome to disassociate Christianity from Judaism, an oriental belief system and rewrite Christianity as a bespoke Roman religion that
could be identified with by the citizens of Rome and easily replace the cuts of Zoroastrianism, Mythraism and the cult of Isis.

This culture of adaptation of the religion to suit the changing needs of the papal autocracy which also held sway over the sovereignty of nations, control of the life of the common man with an iron fist for the enrichment of the papal city. This culture of adaptation has resulted in a belief structure that I doubt would be recognised as the teachings of Jesus by his
Apostles.

Islam

Islam is claimed by its advocates to be the final testimony of Gods law in the book called the Q'uran, endorsing and replacing and correcting the Jewish Torah, the Christian New Testament, both of which Islam claims have been changed while the Q'uran has remained in its original form.
However the practice of Islam by its followers is remarkably similar to the pre-Islamic pagan Arab religions that proliferated in that region before MuHammed allegedly became a prophet; praying five times a day, circling the Qaba in Mecca and stoning the devils rocks were all the standard religious rituals carried out by pagan Arabs.
It appears that MuHammed would have been familiar with both Judaism and Christianity both of which were widely practiced throughout Arabia prior to the start of Islam, so it is not surprising that he borrowed heavily from these established religions to blend into a new but familiar faith that Arabs would find it easier to accept as a replacement for the 300+ gods in the Qaba with a single God who already existed among the 300+ as Allah the deity of the crescent moon whose history can be traced back to the Assyrian god SIN(Sinai the wilderness of SIN).

Judaism allows interpretation of Biblical scripture through the Talmud and encourages discussion of different points of view.

Christianity in the past 250 years has diversified and evolved into many different forms through the process of interpretation, this has occurred because Christians with the exception of the Roman Church has encouraged its followers to question their faith.

Islam is totally alone in so far as it actively discourages and punishes those who question their faith, anyone leaving Islam is branded an Apostate a crime punishable by death.

For me it is enough that I believe in a supreme being, that I follow the non religious Commandments of Moses and try to live my life in relation to other as Jesus would have us do, with love and respect as the basis for everything.

Re: Syria

John, Jesus's teaching sometimes looks uncannily like Buddhism!

Re: Syria

David A

I would compare teachings of both to an idealistic form of socialism, one that is inherently honest and altruistic , sadly the attempts to replicate that pure socialism in modern times have foundered on the rocks of dishonesty and selfishness.
Sally Sally

Re: Syria

After watching last night on the BBC about Syria, I think we need to look to get medicines into Syria, and serious wounded children and people out as well as stopping in some way hospitals being bombed.  That was very sad to see children being bombed with Napalm  type bombs and Doctors not sure of how to treat such wounds, or with next to no medicines.

Re: Syria

Sally,

I disagree with you, no matter how heart rendering or how bad these images we get force fed by the media.......

it is not our place to police every country around the world nor intervene in civil wars.......

would we have allowed any other country to intervene in our own civil war in Ireland with the IRA.

ok you can argue it wasn't on the scale that is happening in Syria but the principles are the same...... we would not allow outside intervention, nor should we intervene.
Peter C
wonderhorse wonderhorse

Re: Syria

Re: Syria

Wonderhorse,

I would agree with the humanitarian accept, given medical assistance is off course something we could supply, but if it means medical staff going in to help deal with injuries as Sally suggested then this would most likely mean we would need boots on the ground and it was for this reason I disagreed with Sally.

I don't want to see another British soldier put in harm's way to defend what exactly, from what I have read one side is as bad as the other, I say leave them to get on with it, we can't help one side or the other, we once again do not know what factions are in the rebel side. So supply arms is a defiant no no....

If there is any way we can help is.....

It is to Stop selling weapons to them and supply these weapons that are being used

We are as guilty as the Assad regime for supplying weapons.

Sent from my HTC One

I read Sally's post differently from Peter C - I felt that Sally was talking about humanitarian aid ie medicines and medical help for these poor people who have been injured in this horrendous war. I, too, do not believe that we should police the world and would not support military intervention. We are hardly in a position to tell other countries how to behave given our own recent history [illegal intervention in Iraq to name but one!] I think we should help the injured civilians and refugees. It is immoral to stand by and leave them to suffer when we have the means to help.

http://have-your-say.915577.n3.nabble.com/Syria-tp4029977p4030341.html

http://have-your-say.915577.n3.nabble.com/Syria-tp4029977p4030342.html
To unsubscribe from Syria, click here.
NAML

Re: Syria

David Cameron appears to be doing an about turn on possible UK access for Syrian refugees, Syria was a former French protectorate following the defeat of the Turkish armies in that region in WWI,

The French who when they gave independence to Syria allowed the minority Alawites and to a lesser extent the Druze who proliferated in the Syrian military the opportunity to seize control of the country and by so doing exact revenge upon the majority Sunni population for historic religious oppression carried out by Sunni's against Shia sects when Syria was under the control of the Ottoman empire, so it is the French who are indirectly responsible for the situation that has prevailed in Syria over the last four decades under the Assad dynasty.

I think that morally France should be taking these refugees, not the UK
1234