Solution to the World Refugee Crisis

This post was updated on .
Why are we so stupid not to realise what we as scientists have known for a good long time. When I worked at Shell in Western Australia many moons ago computerising their payroll systems I became privy to many schemes that that oil company had in abeyance - would you believe, electric power to drive vehicles, and prototype designs but only to be exploited when the oil reserves in the world merited the change! And now, here we are in the 21st Century with Tesla leading the way, Germany and China are hot on America's heels in the new electric car race! Then I ask another question, why do we persist with the most unstable and dangerous form of energy, nuclear power, when we only need to stare in awe at our sun, as did Daedalus and Icarus of old, and realise that not only does our prime mover, have all the energy, we could possibly want, but it is the cleanest and least harmful source going!

Somebody needs to ask where in the world, the sun's energy is greatest? The deserts of course! So how do we harness this massive source, and turn it into any other energy we please? Simple, really - massive solar panels in silver bowls measuring a mile in diameter would not only resolve the entire world's energy needs in a trice, but Sadi Carnot's law of Thermodynamics, would enable us to use the resultant energy in whatever form, to establish new cradles of civilisation on our planet, and suddenly the Nile and the Sahara, The Arabian and the Sinai and the Kalahari and the Gobi, and the Nullarbor and the Yucatan, and the Sierra Nevada become the new focal points for change, and the refugees in their boatloads return to their origins and the rest of the world breathes again!

We also need to prepare our energies for a sizeable asteroid shower scheduled to be with us in the late 20s! some of those meteorites are solid iron - some sort of deflecting space shield is called for I suggest to ward off anything that can penetrate our atmosphere.

I love dreaming!

Re: Solution to the World Refugee Crisis

Hi David,
Loved your post - my husband, a chemical engineer, and I have been saying similar things to you for years and years. We have always been very dubious about nuclear power - it is unstable and dangerous and almost impossible to manage once spent. Do we want our planet full of spent uranium stored underground forever - I don't. We were at one time told it was the answer to all our power problems, cheap and safe - nonsense, energy prices have continued to rise and unfortunately the biggest are foreign owned! The UK has waves, wind and sun - all of which could be utilised but again investment is not forthcoming - there must be a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and promoting fracking which is fraught with problems.
Alternative energy would change so much for the world and solve so many issues over time but this government would rather allow the Chinese to build an already out of date nuclear power station - totally incomprehensible!