Religion and culture

The line between race and religion is very blurred. I find it annoying that people are described by their nationality in one breath and then suddenly become a Muslim, Jewish, or maybe Christian in the next. This country is historicaly a Christian Society albeit that there are numerous variants to this name. Likewise Islam comes in many different guises.
These facts in themselves prove that all religious beliefs are subject to interpretation
and who is to say who is right and who is wrong.

Too much emphasis and freedom is given to religion in my opinion. Although an Atheist, I can understand how people feel the need to be part of a group that gives them, as an individual support and comfort.I do not understand, why these groups find it necessary to be forever fighting not only between but amongst themselves.

The laws and culture of our Country should be paramount over and above all religious beliefs. British people of Christian Faith have to abide my these rules and foreigners should also and not be permitted to hide behind their religion when it suits, or to attempt to impose their beliefs on us. They should consider themselves fortunate that they are permitted to conduct their religious services freely,(a courtesey not always afforded to British people in some of their countries) and not keep using their religion as an excuse for their behaviour and demands on our Society.If a job requires hours and services that are in conflict with their religious beliefs they should not take it. Similarly if they
cannot accept our Christian culture they should not come here.

I believe the problems experienced in Britain have been exacerbated by the rights given
to foreign immigrants through legislation which appears to be contributing to the erosion
of our own culture and the persistance of certain groups to try and impose their cultures
and religious beliefs on us. Indiginous brits feel as though they are the foreigners in their own country.

The Human Rights Act needs to be ditched and replaced with a citizen charter which protects our Society. More conflict in this world has been caused by religion than any other cause and it is about time our culture and laws were protected in our own country before it is too late and the worms turn. If foreigners, whatever their nationality or religion are not happy with that and are not prepared to abide by our laws and culture, they are free to go home.

The saying goes "When in Rome do as the Romans do" and I support that wholeheartedly.

Re: Religion and culture

Rookery Rookery

Re: Religion and culture

Wholeheartedly agree.    I am willing to make people at home, but at the same time I ask that they respect us and OUR traditions.
Youssef ElBaz Youssef ElBaz

Re: Religion and culture

In essence, I agree, if not more than just in essence but here is the issue with the 'when in rome...' bit. You would not be willing to follow an Islamic or Chritian wa of life if you had to live or visit elsewhere. So, people should be allowed to continue with their beleifs even if it contradicts local customs or the traditions of their new home as long as it does not argue them, an example: A muslim woman should be able to wear a veil or even tape herself head to toe in duct tape BUT under no circumstances whatsoever should she or any of her community attack or impose such an idea of the indiginous population. The concept of a citizens charter - now that I like a lot. Well written.

Re: Religion and culture

Th4e Oracle Th4e Oracle

Re: Religion and culture

Youssef,

To put it plainly, "When in England, do as the English do".
I would not go to live or work in a Country where I could not accept the people's way of life and would certainly not seek to change their beliefs or culture.  I would not expect to have the same rights as the idigenious population but I would expect to have to live by their rules. If I were religious I would hope to be able to practise my faith in private but would not expect provision to be specifically made for my faith if it were not the predominant faith in that Country. This is a liberal country and we are taken advantage of because we try to ocommodate other people's religions and cultures, to the detriment of our own.
As I think I said before, Religion has been the cause of more strife than anything else in this world.