Preportional representation

dave 1 dave 1

Preportional representation

I feel we should have true PR in this Country.Not the mish mash that Cameron and Clegg tried to foist on us.I am thinking on the lines that the Welsh people have in their assemblies were all the people get represented.It was shown with the EU referendum that when every individual vote counted the people engaged and turned out to vote.It felt as the only time their voices were heard.The first past the post as had it's day.We have started to take back our Country from the EU,let us now go for true democracy by changing our voting system to PR.

Re: Preportional representation

If we had used PR during the 2015 general election then UKip would have had 70+ MP's and the SNP would not have won a majority in Scotland.

That would have considerably changed the political picture in the UK, the Conservatives would have had to set up a coalition with UKip to stay in power.

Re: Preportional representation

dave 1

I fully support PR, however,  I doubt the Tories will move to a system which will make their chance to get into power more difficult and since they allow the LibDems have an AV vote which they lost its not going to happen until possibly when the Tories are eventually removed from power.

Which is going to take a very long time given the state Labour is in unless there's a miracle and Jeremy Corbyn can become electable
Peter C
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Preportional representation

Sorry I have not replied to John Kelly and Peter C but I have been very busy and have only just read the postings.I agree that there is very little chance of it happening but one can live in hope.Our MP's seem to be getting further and further away from any form of Democracy.What happened to Jo Cox was dreadful but I disagree that the democratic process was not followed by all Parties by abstaining from the Election process.I see this as the thin edge of the wedge.Also MP's wanting a vote in the house on BREXIT is going against the Democracy of the people.While ever we have tribal voting this sort of thing will happen.I am pleased to say I hold no loyalty to any Party.They would have to do what is right for the people of this Country,and not themselves,to earn my vote.

Re: Preportional representation

dave 1 - of course we should have PR - the rubbish that Cameron and Clegg gave us was ridiculous, and almost incomprehensible - this was probably intentional!
Peter's points also make sense too - PR would change the face of politics in this country which is the very reason why we will not be given the option to vote for it again. Brexit has shaken the establishment to it's roots and they will do anything to hang on to power and PR would take it away from the few and give it back to the masses. For a government to go the length's that Cameron and Osborne went to in order to hang on to power eg building homes for sale, no social housing built and almost giving houses away - making it very easy to get mortgages with very low interest rates and the right to buy - this was done in order to keep existing votes from house owners and enabling more buyers. They believe that house owners are more likely to vote Tory! I wonder what will happen when interest rates rise! Last time in the 80's during Thatcher's time many properties went into negative equity and many lost their homes due to inability to pay mortgages. Unfortunately then, as now, people perceive properties as investments instead of homes!
Anyway I digress - we need and should have PR - our current system is not fair at all!

Re: Preportional representation

John K

The Scottish Parliament is determined by a process called the Additional Member System (AMS) and specifically a variant of it using the D’Hondt Method of counting.

It’s actually not complicated at all but the calculations involved in allocating all the seats to ensure a roughly proportional represention.

For the purposes of AMS Scotland is divided into eight areas. Each has between eight and 10 constituency MSPs, and exactly seven “list” MSPs.

The constituency MSPs are elected by First Past The Post (FPTP) just like in Westminster elections and the list seats are then distributed in such a way as to try to make the total vote shares for each party more closely match the numbers of seats they end up with.

For example.....

If Holyrood elections were conducted by FPTP alone then on May’s results there’d be roughly 123 SNP MSPs and just seven from the other four parties put together.

This system is as close to a PR system in the UK.
Peter C
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Preportional representation

Mary S,thank you for your reply.I believe that it is a good thing to discuss this topic on all sites like this as it shows that people are wanting to be heard as individuals  and their voices heard in our voting system,which they are not with our present system.I was thinking on the lines of the Welsh system were they have PR for their Welsh assembly.I also would like to state on this site that a large proportion of our MP's need to be re-educated on what Democracy is,as there is a large percentage do not wish to carry out the will of the people by having Brexit.If they can they would prevent it happening.We need to be asking our MP's what Democracy is,before we vote them in.

Re: Preportional representation

I'll tell you what democracy is, my friend, a myth - and nowhere is that more evident than in America and their elections! Who do you go for? sex mad men or thoroughly corrupt men and women? Not much choice there, as far as I can see!

Re: Preportional representation

Democracy does not exist as it should David. I don't really understand the US system and it's electoral colleges - I need to study it more closely. It seems that many have voted already - so it appears that they do not have a particular day for casting votes.  I think Trump is still in with a chance - this is more about peoples' anger and feelings of disenfranchisement than hearing or caring about what he has to say. Having listened to many of his statements and the 3 debates I really do wonder why anyone would vote for this man - he clearly can't remember his past statements or doesn't care [ more likely to be the latter - he is so arrogant]. He really is appalling. I accept that looks should not influence decisions but his hair is a miracle and triumph to hairspray, wild animals which must have donated their lives to contribute fur or hair and science! I can't take my eyes off it! What a choice - Hillary or Trump - terrifying!
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Preportional representation

Hi David A,I am waiting to see if Mrs. May follows through with Brexit.If she does then Democracy is alive and kicking in this Country but if not then they will have shown it to be a myth and it will be a waste of time for people to give their vote.As regards these two in America,if thats the best they can do then America is in a very,very bad way.

Re: Preportional representation

Suggest you check out my previous post! With Clinton, perhaps, but with Trump, I don't think so!