Quantcast

Paralympic mess

Mr D Akenhead 8 minutes ago
pending
Look no further than the IPC President, Sir Philip Craven, for the originator of this mess. Why could he not settle for the same as the IOC? But no, he had to go one step further and ban the entire Russian Paralympic team - who incidentally seemed to show the same Olympic spirit in Rio as anyone else! Why could they not each have been tested individually as were their compatriots in the Olympic games? It makes no sense whatever to bar one great sporting nation in its entirety just to justify some non-entity's ego, and it does irreparable harm to international relations. I hope he considers his position. His actions have probably guaranteed a permanent rift betyween the IOC and the IPC, and I'll be surprised when the lawsuits run their course, if the latter will survive. That is the stark reality sadly now facing the entire Paralympic movement. This has nothing to do with Brazil and everything to do with Sir Philip Craven. Many Paralympians will agree with me.

Re: Paralympic mess

David.
I think this is an absolute tragedy and somehow made worse by the success of the Olympics for able athletes. I agree with you it is nothing to do with Brazil and it is so harsh to ban an entire team. It is seems a bit stinky to me and I do wonder if there is a hidden political agenda.  I suspect there is a lot of corruption in the governing parties - it now seems endemic in so many sports, especially given the furore about football.  It is the athletes who have dedicated their time and lives to their sports for their country and our enjoyment and with the hope of winning in their chosen discipline who lose the most. The little jumped up officials like Craven who are to blame and seem to relish the attention. It would be so much easier as you suggest to test each athlete and have done with it and anyone cheating will be exposed immediately and dealt with then and there - far too obvious for the likes of Craven!