Overseas Aid

I understand that Mr Cameron's latest ill conceived "crusade" is to back a Liberal Democrat policy which will enshrine in law that a guaranteed percentage of GDP will be paid in overseas aid in the future. Fortunately it appears to be causing a bit of a rebellion amongst the back benchers, who it seems see the folly of such a move.  Currently the UK ranks No. 2 in the world to the USA for the percentage of GDP given in overseas aid.  Firstly, as has been said many times on this Forum the percentage of the Billions we currently pay that actually goes to help those in real need is minimal. The biggest proportion finds its way into the pockets of corrupt Governments and Regimes and is often used for purposes that actually make the lot of those it is intended to help, even worse. Far from instigating any guilt amongst Governments who donate less than ourselves, it will only confirm the opinions that, if we are stupid enough to do this, let us suffer the consequences. I do not envisage other countries queing up to increase their overseas aid. Secondly, who will the losers be here, most certainly not the wealthy, it won't make one iota of difference to them. However, the poor, the sick, the elderly, the homeless, our health and our childrens'education (that has been decimated by these incompentants) in our own country, will be the ones who lose out as a result of such a ridiculous piece of legislation. Thirdly, what happens if we find ourselves in the position of not being able to pay? Who holds us to account?  My own opinion is that the whole concept is utterly ridiculous and a waste of money (something this Government do excel in). The rest of the world will sit back and watch is bleed to death.

Re: Overseas Aid

fiferalfa2 fiferalfa2

Re: Overseas Aid

Overseas aid should be stoppped forthwith as the money juat does not go where it is supposed to to long now have despotic leaders been lining their pockets we now have to say enough is enough give aid but bot in monetary terms see what response we get rhen