Quantcast

Our next Prime Minister

Simple Question

Do you think our country deserves a New Prime Minister sooner than October and if so how quickly do you think this can and should take place??

Re: Our next Prime Minister

If Cameron is at last on course to comply with the will of the people of Britain, and he has the grudging respect of many in the EU, I say better the devil you know. Unless you want another Sterling crash I suggest we now do our best to persuade him to stay on to rectify the mess he has got us into. A solid pound and a solid Euro is not a bad thing, as long as members are free in future to decide their own priorities. Federal Europe with one currency, or independence and their own currency like Switzerland and Britain. The former never had it so good, since they unpegged from the Euro. That says something, for the future of Sterling, doesn't it, provide the country doesn't sink to lifeboat minus rudder! After Goldman Sachs, sudden about turn too, predicting that instead of falling below 1,000$ ounce for gold, they now say (post Brexit), it's $1500 which I predicted long ago, and it could well go higher while the world confronts the now world challenge of Brexit. Keep your head, while all about you are losing theirs, I say! Again I apologise to Mrs Hovenden earlier, I only want what's best for all our countries! I have many friends, worldwide, including Nazim Karimjee who was my best friend at school, and I'm not about to lose any of them! Mr Trump, take note!

So, in answer to your question, no more General Elections, please! Let Cameron be persuaded to engineer this transition before he goes. Who agrees with this meddlesome currency trader?

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Hi David an Peter,
I think Cameeron has demonstrated what a spineless moron he really is and I rather doubt that he will stay in power, even though he really should sort out the issues with leaving the EU. He did, after all, initiate the referendum albeit not for our the reasons - he was hoping to win and unite his party - failed miserably.
I suspect that the financial situation will get more complicated and messy if he leaves in October but he will go, he is weak and far too lazy to contemplate the hard work required to enable an acceptable 'divorce'. If he stayed as prime minister it is possible that the situation would calm down and stabilise sooner - but I am not a good enough judge to be sure. He seems disliked in Brussels but I imagine that whoever is our prime minister, particularly a Brexit supporter would be disliked.
I have a strong feeling that he never really understood the responsibility of taking on the job of prime minister or the hard work involved in the role. I have always thought he felt a sense of entitlement without actually recognising what such a job entailed. He certainly did not expect a Brexit vote - he looks totally bemused and 'at sea' hence his resignation. He really thought 'remain' would win.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

David & Mary

I'd say that that boat has already set sail.

In my opinion.....

David Cameron was convinced inside his own mind his gamble on an EU vote was already won and he got the shock of his life when Brexit won.
He was never prepared for Brexit and that is why he pre EU vote committed to remaining in power to carrying out the will of the people regardless of the outcome.

When Cameron resigned in the morning 24th June he should have triggered article 50 but I think he is trying to distance himself from being named as the PM who triggered article 50 even though it was his gamble that led to this situation.

However, there may be Method in his Madness because without an emmididate triggering of article 50 he leaves it open for EU referendum part 2......

There is so much talk now about a general election and some parties intend to stand on remaining in the EU and if they get elected are seeing this as a mandate to hold a 2nd EU referendum.

This is an affront to democracy and the referendum we just had.

If Boris or if any Tory Brexit supporter becomes your leader does there need to be an election?

Should it Not be new leader takes over and get on with Brexit and running the country

Re: Our next Prime Minister

If I had a vote then I would support my own MP Andrea leadsom for the Tory party leadership, for the following reasons, her Eurosceptic credentials are impeccable as shown by her voting record, she is also a formidable orator with a lightning quick mind and like most women she can out think any man who argues against her views, then there is her moral attitude to her role as an MP, I have personally raised many issue with her all of which she has investigated and either found an answer to or sought advice from relevant ministers who have contacted me directly despite the fact that I had resigned from the party in 2005,  finally and possibly crucially her background does not include a privelged public school education provided by rich doting parents.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Yes, I have a lot of time for her, and complimented her on her recent article in response to a Times leader. She has vision, which we sorely need right now.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Please not Johnson, May, Crabbe or Javid - I think John has a point maybe Andrea Leadsom would be a better choice - don't know much about her but surely she can't be worse than any of the current bunch even if she is a Tory. I won't be voting for a Tory under any circumstances but I do not want to see any of the previous 4 I have mentioned. Johnson is a proven liar, May is dull and not much cop at all, Crabbe well I won't say what my opinion is as it is not printable - he is very sanctimonious is as far as I can go and Javid is utterly useless - a hopeless Business minister - I am thinking about Port Talbot! The 4 are far to right wing we need a breath of fresh air and Leadsom has always been a 'Leaver' so there is a chance she has some ideas and plans for the future. I have yet to hear anything out of the mouths of anyone yet.
Also just one point about invoking Article 50 - if they leave it until October when Cameron scuttles off - there is a chance that a number of people in the EU countries will have registered their disapproval and there may well be demands for further referenda in some of the other member states.  Also there are elections due in Germany and France and I suspect that this is why there are demands to start the 'divorce' asap. There is fear that the EU may start to collapse - it is not in a good place - low growth, the refugee problem and th rise of nationalistic parties.
What do you think - could I have a point?

Re: Our next Prime Minister

John K

I am no Tory but I concede there must be a Tory PM even if an election is called for as Labour is in total disarray and I must say I have been impressed with the performance from Andrea Leadsom but is she standing to be Tory leader.

She certainly comes over as leadership material, when she talks she is well informed and presents her arguments that is clear and coherent.......

If I were a Tory voter I would back her as well.
I would prefer her any day to Theresa May who comes over as a cold and uncaring witch ready to cast a spell of doom and horror on anyone.

Quick question to you all.....

Do you think there is a realistic chance that a general election must take place or is just a case of electing a new Tory leader and get on with Brexit?

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Johnson has now stood down in the Tory leadership battle claiming that he doesn't feel he could unite the party. He is responsible with many others for ripping it apart and is now not going to take any responsibility for this.  This is so typical of Johnson, he has realised that he won't win the leadership at this moment in time and that is his raison d'ĂȘtre. He is ruthlessly ambitious and has failed this time - he will be biding his time! He is convinced he should be PM has a great. Sense of entitlement!
I was a Brexit supporter and never trusted Johnson but I suspect there has been a lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes. The thought of any of the prospective leaders makes me shudder. If we have to endure a Tory party in power we need a less right wing person - someone who is more realistic about the economy and who actually cares about our country and it's people. I fail to see such a person - is there one?

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Mary

As you know I am not a Tory however being realistic I think we both concede the next PM is going to be a Tory whether we have a general election or not.

Given these circumstances I would agree with John K that Andrea Leadsom is a little known about Tory but she shown in the Brexit campaign and I would like to see she to be Tory leader.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

I hope Leadsom gets it. Boris announced he's not running. Michael Gove Yuk! Theresa May Yuk! I agree with her though on no General Election until 2020 and her commitment to Brexit, though she has NO mandate to govern, since the hypocrite voted Remain with the rest of the pigs!

Trump is no fool either. If he gets in, gold and silver continue to spiral upwards. If he fails, he and Putin cash in their chips and the commodities market plummets again! Both of those men are winners whichever way the tide of events may turn! It's called hedging your bets! Not without good reason, I still advise SC though I left them a while ago to become a teacher! I still have a knack for accurate prediction no matter what Goldman Sachs dictate!

Re: Our next Prime Minister

David,
Totally agree with you about Gove - makes me queasy to think of him - he messed up in Education and is loathed in the profession - May is seen as a loser due to her cutting of the Police, Border control personnel but she may just squeak it - she really kept her powder dry during the referendum campaign and played the long game. Leadsom has no experience but who knows - Crabbe and Javid could do it - yuk yuk and yuk again!
The new PM will not have a proper mandate and as the Labour Party is in such disarray could chance an election.
We live in very interesting times, here and in the US. It sounds as if you support Trump? The press are saying he doesn't have a snowballs chance. Hillary can't be trusted and Trump appeals to lowest common denominator - but maybe now he will temper his rather extreme views - the problem is, once said, words cannot be erased, although the press have often misrepresented what he actually said. I find him a very frightening character.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Mary,

Some aspects of him appeal to me - particularly his dedication to the peoples of America, Canada and Britain. I think, however, he suffers from the Aristotelian malaise of labelling people and putting them in convenient boxes, but if it's a question of going with the old order in Hillary and the new in Trump, then I'm veering towards Trump in the knowledge that there are some sensible people in Congress who can rein him back! In my book, when it comes to world economics, he's a much better businessman than Hillary - personally I would have preferred a contest with him and Bernie Sanders, in which case I would be supporting Sanders who has vision - he's absolutely right! We need to go back to Ancient Greece which had perpetual success and continuity by coalition government, where people could be booted out by the populace if they didn't pull their weight. Both Trump and Sanders are demonstrating that the old political Party divisional system is fast becoming an anachronism. In a modern world, we need qualified people on top of their job period, and in a new British arrangement reflecting such I would keep people like Leadsom and Corbyn who have no time for political power struggles, but reflect a sense of duty to their nation instead.

Re: Our next Prime Minister

Hi John, I agree with you Andrea Leadsom would get my vote, if I had one. I was really impressed with her performance on the TV debate.  She appears to be cool,calm and collected, and knowledgeable on the EU, not a screaming banshee like with the 3 Rottweilers on the remain side.