Mrs May's short acceptance speech

My opinion of her is revised after this, and I only hope she has the courage and strength to carry it out. Bravo! You came good, finally!

“I am honoured and humbled to be chosen by the Conservative Party as its leader,” she said, paying tribute to Mr Cameron for his leadership and to Mrs Leadsom for her dignity in withdrawing.

Despite being a sceptical Remain supporter during the campaign, Mrs May stressed that she would implement Brexit , which was voted for by a majority of 52 per cent to 48 per cent in the referendum on June 23.

“Brexit means Brexit, and we’re going to make a success of it,” Mrs May said. She said that she would “unite our country” and help to ease the divisions exposed in the vote."

“Second, we need to unite our country.

“And third, we need a strong new positive vision for the future of our country, a vision of a country that works not for the privileged few, but that works for every one of us, because we’re going to give people more control over their lives and that’s how, together, we will build a better Britain.”

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Just posted this under today's leader "Call of Duty"

Mr D Akenhead 3 minutes ago
pending
England expects! (and also my countrymen and women!), "it is no exaggeration to say the fate of the nation rests on her shoulders" as you say! Therefore, it behoves us all to pull together and lighten her load. Her task, and ours is formidable, but with the spirit of Nelson and Collingwood (my ancestor, John Aikenhead, was a Scottish midshipman aboard the Royal Sovereign with the latter), we'll prevail!

Rejoice! This is a great day for Britain, with a strong leader at the helm in Mrs May able to stop the Federalist rot and claptrap of the likes of Juncker in their tracks! Rule Britannia, and let's cement our ties with Ireland and Scotland! These Isles united can still be a force majeure to be reckoned with!

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

I agree Peter - don't trust the Tories - never will - I have no idea what 'One Nation Conservatism' is - I thought Cameron was supposed to be one - have yet to see proof of it.
I also wonder what has happened to that other posh boy - Osborne - hope he has gone, never to be seen again - he wasn't a 'one nation' type at all.
I hope Mrs May calls an election next year when, hopefully, the Labour Party sorts itself out and the Tories will be out for a very long time. We need a proper NHS, education and good public services. Public housing and the unions re-instated and given their role back! A country that offers hope, properly remunerated jobs with contracts, fairness and banksters controlled and the city reined in at last.

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Seems you've got your wish, Mary - Osborne's just resigned, and guess who's back? Boris minus side-kick, who is hopefully never to be heard of again either!!

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Yippee, David. He has made such a mess of the economy whilst bragging about the UK being the 5th biggest economy in the world but impoverishing the public services and causing such poverty! Highest growth in the EU countries - wouldn't be difficult given the mess in Europe. So where is the growth and why have the public not had the benefit, I ask myself. It is because the growth is based on a housing bubble that is about to burst! It is not real growth given the lack of growth in GDP. Such an appalling man.
I would be very pleased it we never hear of Johnson again either but I have little hope of that. He will be biding his time - he really believes he should be Prime Minister so will be working out ways of getting what he thinks he should have. He hasn't gone yet unfortunately - he will be buffooning, ruffling his hair and making stupid jokes [ I love Jon Culshaw's impersonation - just fabulous] and avoiding answering questions and using his usual contrivances to curry favour with the public. He will be waiting in the wings - don't doubt it.
I don't have much hope for Mrs May - the snoopers charter is scary and she has not been a particularly good Home Office minister. Reduced border staff and police. Police commissioners being voted in has been disastrous as most people don't bother to vote and they are partisan. Hasn't reduced immigration and was in the remain camp - she has played the long game and I predicted she would pop up as soon as she was able. Cameron left as soon possible - spineless gutless man - couldn't countenance the thought of guiding us through Brexit - he was shocked to the core that he lost the referendum and had no plan B - typical of the lazy useless man! Just too much like hard work and his little plan to unite his party failed miserably. Mrs May is draconian, and I don't relish her as PM but time will tell - hopefully she might suddenly change from being hard to someone who is more caring and kinder than we have had to endure during the last 6 years!

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

Re: Mrs May's short acceptance speech

This post was updated on .
As you say, Peter, despite all her previous shortcomings, I'm prepared to give her a chance, especially after the needless pain and threats issued by Carney and Osborne pre-Brexit. Carney, in particular, should have known better, but he too appears willing to adjust now...

Just posted this on Times Digital...

Mr D Akenhead 14 minutes ago
pending
This looks like a very good start and shrewd to leak a time line for article 50 implementation in the new year. This gives Mrs May, her Chancellor, Cabinet and Carney much needed leeway to ensure a special trading arrangement for Britain with Europe further down the line, to enable us to emerge none the worse for wear and probably stronger all round, two and a half years hence. Just been watching Squawk on the Street and the Dow never higher, and already the Americans are bringing pressure to bear on Europe to accommodate in their own interest. So unlike Osborne and Obama, needlessly scaremongering pre-Brexit, as Donald Trump earlier correctly predicted, we are already top of the list, and both Obama and Osborne are busted flushes. Very wisely, Carney is adjusting to the flow!

David A