More European Union

1 ... 45678910 ... 32

Re: More European Union

<bEU Scores Own Goal on Airline Emissions</b>

In the escalating row over the EU's attempts to extend its ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme) to non-EU airlines, China has now suspended aircraft orders worth $12 billion with Airbus, the EU's aircraft manufacturing company.

Airbus estimates that 1000 jobs with the company, and another 1000 down the supply chain, are at risk.  Airbus wings are built at Filton near Bristol, so this will probably cost UK jobs.

First of all, increasing numbers of scientists are questioning the underlying assumptions of the IPCC and the EU with regard to emissions and climate.

However even if CO2 emissions are driving climate change, the EU's ETS is a hugely cumbersome, bureaucratic and inefficient way of addressing it.  And the idea of imposing ETS on parts of a global industry like aviation creates an economic and diplomatic dog's breakfast.

The Commission's approach is arguably illegal, and contravenes the Warsaw Convention governing international air transport.

Re: More European Union

An article from todays Daily Express,By Martyn Brown Political Correspondent

RECORD EXPORTS AS FIRMS SHUN THE EU

THE economy was given a major boost yesterday as ­figures showed exports hit record levels to countries outside the European Union.

Soaring trade to the US, Russia and China saw exports to non-EU countries rise to £12.9billion in January.

It was a leap of £500million from the previous month and the highest level since records began in 1998.and while the trade deficit on goods and services – the gap between exports and imports – widened to ­£1.8billion in January from £1.2billion in December, the figure is still far below the average for 2011.

The rise in exports was fuelled by booming sales of Rolls-Royce and Jaguar cars to the three economic ­powerhouses and is a ­welcome pre-Budget boost to the Chancellor George Osborne’s plans to rebalance the ­economy.

It triggered fresh calls for Britain to leave the ­European Union altogether.

Tory MP Philip Davies said: “Future economic growth around the world is in non-EU markets.

For our future prosperity Britain must trade in these areas and not be saddled with the protection racket that is the European Union.”

A new poll yesterday showed almost two thirds of Britons want a national ­referendum on the UK’s ­relationship with the EU.

The YouGov-Cambridge survey also revealed that 60 per cent of people want the UK to have “looser” ties with the European Union or leave altogether.

The ­findings add further weight to the hugely popular Daily Express Crusade calling for Britain to quit the EU.

Mr Davies added: “It is about time politicians caught up with public opinion and hold a referendum.”

The figures were welcomed by Nida Ali, advisor to forecasters the Ernst & Young ITEM Club, who said: “The increase in exports to non-EU countries in January is encouraging and we hope to see this trend continue.

“We have repeatedly highlighted the need for UK exporters to move away from their traditional trading ­partners and tap into faster growing emerging nations and there are some encouraging signs that this is ­starting to happen. Exports to China are continuing to grow at annual rates of more than 20 per cent.”

Mr Osborne is relying on a shift in the economy towards the private sector, particularly in manufacturing and exports, to withstand his far‑reaching package of spending cuts.

The figures also showed a 0.8 per cent dip in exports to the EU as the ongoing eurozone debt crisis continued to weigh on the UK’s biggest export market.

Meanwhile, the trade data showed continued pressure on inflation as import prices rose by 0.9 per cent month-on-month in January as they were pushed up by higher oil prices.

Re: More European Union

John, this is a compelling argument for us to expand our operations in areas not limited by the madness that is emanating from Brussels, which Brits have never been allowed a say in. The sooner we leave the EU, is the sooner we will be in a position to control our own destinies once again, and that of our children. Cameron needs to take the bull by the horns and decide OUT, else I'll find the party which supports that initiative.

Re: More European Union

March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte’s demand for budget cuts in debt-laden southern Europe may backfire as the leader of one of the four remaining AAA euro countries struggles to narrow a bigger-than-planned deficit.

 His coalition must find 9 billion euros ($11.8 billion) in budget cuts this year, equal to 1.5 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product, to meet European rules and protect the top credit grade that France and Austria lost in January.

 Rutte, who led demands that Greece deepen spending cuts and overhaul its economy in exchange for a rescue, is squeezed by mounting domestic dissent and a campaign by nationalist leader Geert Wilders to exit the euro. The risk premium demanded by investors to own Dutch 10-year bonds relative to Germany’s almost doubled since January. Dutch yields surpassed those of AAA Finland last month for the first time since August.

“Rutte has brought himself into a very difficult position and he either loses face in Europe in order to save the coalition or his coalition collapses to meet the European budget rules,” Bas Jacobs, professor of economics and public finance at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam, said in a March 13 interview. “There’s a substantial probability the government will collapse.”

Euro Referendum

 Just as the negotiations began last week, Wilders, an anti- immigration activist and leader of the Freedom Party, said the country would profit from returning to the guilder, citing a report by London-based Lombard Street Research commissioned by his party. Wilders said a referendum is needed on whether the Dutch should stay in the euro area

Re: More European Union

DAVID Cameron’s handling of the eurozone crisis is expected to be condemned as “inconsistent” and “profoundly unwise” in a report from MPs tomorrow.

In a verdict that confirms growing frustration among backbench Tories, the Commons European Scrutiny Committee will argue the Government lacks a strategy for protecting Britain’s interests in Europe.

It will also raise doubts about the Prime Minister’s motives in blocking a treaty for closer ties between eurozone countries.
Earlier this year, Tory MPs cheered him for standing up to the EU over the new treaty plans at a Brussels summit, but now many suspect the veto was meaningless and he is allowing French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel to create a “fiscal union” that will leave the UK isolated.

A draft of the report leaked yesterday said: "The Government has made clear that it has reservations about the legality of what has been done, but the question of what it intends to do remains unsatisfactorily unresolved".

Politically and legally, it is profoundly unwise to suggest taking action, and then not to explain how it intends to carry it through.”

Re: More European Union

On this one, I'm with Cameron. The EU is a cosy corrupt cartel, and closer fiscal union invites increase of the same. France and Germany cannot do without us - their banks are overstretched and to pull investments from Britain would be commercial and political suicide for both - hence Germany's reassurances to Osborne and Cameron last Christmas in Sarkozy's face! Well done, Cameron and Osborne on this. Our Eurosceptic colours are firmly imprinted on any future treaties or adjustments. That reassures me somewhat after your bout of recent gaffes and bad judgments! This is a good and shrewd judgment in my book.

Re: More European Union

Well at least one Tory MP has some common sense!

Re: More European Union

fiferalfa2 fiferalfa2

Re: More European Union

What is it with us and the eu i have just read in our local weekly paper that from 2014 it will be no good having a national parliament as most national decisions will be made by brussels, why should we have such a corrupt body of people tell us what to do we should quit now because apparently when they take over our lawmaking unless it is decided by them we would not be able to quit the eu, we have enough problems as it is with non government what with all the indecision at present in whitehall

Re: More European Union

Ugo Ugo

Re: More European Union

Peter C, What have i missed?? Been in africa all these long!. I am making s case for more EU and Peter C tax money for africa

Re: More European Union

Ugo Ugo

Re: More European Union

I am hail and hearty. After the jungle fire dance, couldnt complain. Haven't much to contribute this time as im off again next week. Hope to rock your boat real hard when next im back!!

Re: More European Union

If you are worried about the cost and availability of food, If you are concerned about your rights as a victim of crime, if you are appalled at the flood of immigrants arriving in the UK and reducing the number of jobs for British workers and claiming benefits without paying into the NI pot and taxes are making it harder for you and your family to live, there is only one thing that can alter things for the better and that is for the UK to leave the EU.

Because the British Government has no control or will shortly lose control over:

Fisheries
   (under EU control)
Farming
 (under EU control)
Human rights
(under EU control)
English Law
(75% under EU control)
Immigration
    (soon to be under EU control)
Border Controls
(soon to be under EU control)
Financial Sector
(soon to be under EU control)
Social Security
(soon to be under EU control)
Pensions
   (soon to be under EU control)
Taxation
    (soon to be under EU control)
UK Budget
(soon to be under EU control)

Vote UKIP at the next General Election for Your country for our futures
fiferalfa2 fiferalfa2

Re: More European Union

If your post is accurate john why do we have a parliament in westminster at all it seems it is just like a town council and paid damn well for it maybe we just capitulate now and save ourselves the trouble later NOT

Re: More European Union

Results released by opinion pollster Populus reveiled that 80% of British people are demanding a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU.
Labour MP and former minister Kate Hoey said "This poll shows that the message the Daily Express has been carrying for many months is resonating with the public. A referendum is not a sideline issue - it is crucial to the public and must happen."

Re: More European Union

John,

The crucial question should be - what form will any referendum take? If we opted for the reckless choice of a simple in/out straight away, we would not only be looking at 30% increase in unemployment overnight, but the complete and utter breakdown of our welfare system. The Scots are looking at the same sort of scenario if they choose to go it alone right now. Truth is we need to inform Brussels that we demand renegotiation of the EU constitution, such that this body performs as a trading bloc only in future, with abandonment of any grand European federation and control over national affairs. I think the best bet is to await the disintegration of the Euro, which is bound to happen without China's endorsement, in my view. Osborne, once again, needs to make the city an attractive place to do business, which means, reducing taxes and red tape to a minimum. With a stronger pound again, he will be able to bat with Germany and Switzerland on a more even wicket.

So I say, referendum yes, but when we have amassed a few cards...
David A
fiferalfa2 fiferalfa2

Re: More European Union

David A
              i have just read your post and agree that we should negogiate from a position of strength i am a scot living in england and i think the sooner most scots realise this is just an ego trip for alex salmond the better to belong to a europe for trading only would be the best all round let each country go back to their own soverign currency and we can all get on together

Re: More European Union

This post was updated on .
Unfortunately this Government has shown that it lacks any members with strong negotiating skills. There method at home has been to bombard the British electorate with their often ill thought out and crazy ideas and intentions only to have to back track when the folly of such has finally sunk in.  This method will not work in Europe. In order to renegotiate the terms of our membership somehow a rabbit has
to be pulled from the hat in the form of a master of negotiation and I don't see anyone capable of taking advantage of the reasons that the EU have for wanting us to remain even as only a member of the trading bloc. What does worry me is my lack of confidence in DC and GO not to be drawn into the Eurozone somehow.  That of course is if the Eurozone survives! The whole Europe thing is one holy mess.
kevingrumpy kevingrumpy

Re: More European Union

What rubbish.
Germany has a better governmental system students are treated as an investment in the future, as they are. University fees are not considered as a cost to the public purse but an important investment, giving a very different attitude and outcome. We must do something similar as our students are now looking to move to Europe where it's cheaper to get a decent education. Which will cause an early brain drain.
1 ... 45678910 ... 32