Minimising risk at Airports

Just posted this today on Times Digital...

Mr D Akenhead 1 minute ago
pending
International Law urgently needed, even in Donald Trump's 2nd Amendment America! What's the solution? Very simple, really. Outlaw all firearms on all passenger flights worldwide. For the purists, huntin', shootin', fishin' and killin' brigade their precious rights will be protected. All they need do is send their weapons of mass destruction Air Freight! Think of the advantages! The Air Freight places can be manned by appropriate security, freeing up the passenger airports and ensuring passengers renewed confidence in flying, peace of mind, and saving passengers and airlines alike a fortune in the process! New screening devices at airports too will help minimise terrorist risks equally. This case, and another recent article involving the fitness to fly of captains, clearly shows, that people of unsound mind are unpredictable and their toys must be denied them!

Re: Minimising risk at Airports

Hi David,
Happy New Year!
The Americans will never give up their guns in any circumstances. They seem obsessed with firearms and totally dismissive of their dangers. They believe guns protect rather than cause violence. I personally fail to understand why there are not tighter controls on weapons and allowing guns on aeroplanes even without bullets amazes me - it is incomprehensible. I hate guns and fear them and glad that the UK doesn't allow guns to be bought and sold like sweets and I hope we never do!

Re: Minimising risk at Airports

Happy New Year, Mary! Totally agree with everything you say!

Re: Minimising risk at Airports

Happy new year to one and all.
David, I sympathise with your views on gun control, a hand gun above ,22 caliber in private ownership of any type, is solely designed for taking human life, especially so when such weapons are easily obtainable as is the case in many areas of the world and where storage of such weapons is allowed in the domestic scenario.
However the ban that has existed in the UK since the Hungerford & Dunblane atrocities have in no way diminished the death toll caused by handguns in the hands of criminals most of which have been sourced from outside the UK.
It is a fact that most non criminal firearm related deaths in the UK involve the use of shotguns.
Still the biggest cause of death in domestic and criminal incidents are from injuries caused by bladed weapons.
If I lived in any other country I would register to own a firearm/s to defend my family, myself and my property, I would because I was trained in the military how to safely handle, carry, use and make safe these deadly devices, but I will concede that some people are mentally unsuitable to own weapons of any kind be that a gun, knife or car.

Re: Minimising risk at Airports

My dad kept his service revolver, as I believe did many dads in the colonies, I suppose as mementos of the War! his own was peculiarly memorable as part of the advanced force of glider pilots ahead of the Rhine crossings. He landed deep in the German flatland next to a wood with his troop and a jeep - could hear lots of movement and rumblings of vehicles but laid low till nightfall - crawled to a nearby farmhouse and confronted the Bauer brandishing a luger and his wife and daughter - difficult moment, but typical of my father, a game of logic ensued - if we let these things off, you're dead, I'm dead, then your wife's dead, and your daughter's dead, because I have twelve armed men with me outside this door. The odds weighed, and my father's suggestion that the War was ending anyway, and a glass of schnapps would be infinitely preferable, and entente cordiale won the day. Father radioed through to say his section (25 miles in) was now clear, and his action earned him the TD! in addition, he and his men lived very happily with the farmer and his family until the oncoming allied forces arrived! Nice story really, and they kept in touch after the war too as friends for life!

Re: Minimising risk at Airports