Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

B.Wise B.Wise

Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

From time to time I have read about MPs over indulging in the use of alcohol. Are there any checks on how many alcoholic drinks an MP consumes in the House of Commons bar?  If the law considers drivers unfit to drive after only a couple of drinks what makes MPs any different when making decisions on National important issues? Also, as some local authorities and NHS hospitals prohibit the use of alcohol how come Government departments have no such ban?

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

Lineman_17 Lineman_17

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

There are a lot of people drinking alcohol regularly and even some of them over consume drugs too. My cousin was also in similar situation but as she was going to be married she decided to get over the addictions before stepping into new life. She joined virginia opiate addiction treatment center and had professional treatment over there.

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

I'm not concerned with what they drink or take provided it does not mar their judgment in representing their constituents. Their private lives are their own business in my view, as long as it does not encroach on their public duty!

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

Could it be that excessive consumption of alcohol is the causative behind the removal of Diane Abbot from Labours general election campaign?
There has been countless car crash interviews involving Ms Abbot where her inability to provide coherent information pertaining to Labours Election promises has reached  legendary status. Is her political career now effectively over?

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

I do not believe Ms Abbot's condition is due to alcohol - but her withdrawal/dismissal - no one really knows what went on behind closed doors - could not have happened at a worse time for Labour, I suggest. I expect Theresa May to win this election with a greater majority than that forecast two days ago!

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.

Diane Abbot should have gone weeks ago, in fact, long before the campaign began as every time she appeared she haemorrhaged votes. Sad really as she has always been loyal to Corbyn.
I hope, as you know David, May does not get a huge majority - I really want and value the NHS, Social Care and Education! Asfor her negociating Brexit - I fear that will be a disaster as well - the writing is on the wall given her aggressive and confrontational attitude. We as ever agree to differ.
As for MP's drinking - there many bars in Parliament and some MP's were and are known to be drunkards, but I will not speak ill of the dead, or living for that matter. There will be treatment options if they chose to take them up. It is not for me to pass judgement as long as they are not inebriated or incapable of making decisions. There are many many people who drink too much alcohol, are physically dependant and are captains of industry - my cousin's husband is one of them!

Re: Members of Parliament drinking alcohol.