May v Corbyn TV interview

After watching both performances......

I must say that Corbyn came over the better of the two.

May was shown to be not so Strong and Stable government by her constant
u-turns.

I am very worried about Theresa May's statement........

"No Deal is Better than a Bad Deal"

On the surface this sounds perfectly all well and good.

However, after Theresa May's sudden snap change of mind and called for a General Election on June 8th, which has become clear why she has called for it, that being.......

She sees Jeremy Corbyn as being weak and there should be a good chance she can win a landslide (Polls indicate otherwise) giving her a mandate to get her ........
"No Deal is Better than a Bad Deal"

My concern is..... If she gets a big landslide who can challenge the Tories on what is determined as a "Good Deal or what constitutes a Bad Deal

If she manages to get a good majority in the forthcoming General Election with an overwhelming majority that if all others were to vote against her "Good Deal" the Tories will get the deal they want and win the day on what they perceive as a Good Deal.

I and many people may not agree with her/Tory Good Deal.

So perhaps there is a good case to make sure Theresa May and the Tories do not get the landslide she is seeking.

Maybe a close run General Election result would be better for democracy and hold her feet to the fire on what is a "Good Deal or a Bad Deal".

Time to give greater thought as to what we may be giving Theresa May and the Tory party if she/they win by a landslide!!

We have no idea what she will determine as a Good Deal and I don't want her to get a blank cheque and end up with a Tory deal that suites the Tories...... A Good Deal must be what's best for the country as a whole, not the Tory party.

Please give me your feedback

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Lot of sense to No Deal - leaves ball squarely in Merkel's court. She will not wish to upset Donald Trump further after casting UK and US as pariahs, and then swiftly backtracking when she realised her entire edifice was in danger of crumbling!! I'd say Theresa May's just received a welcome gift from the gods, and not a moment too soon after her lamentable TV debates!

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Hi Peter,  I'm afraid I did not watch the TV interviews as I find them "too managed"   but I am becoming a little concerned regarding the Brexit deal and am now probably going to vote UKIP again as they are the only party with my own beliefs on immigration. I would like to make it clear that I do not have a problem with immigrants who are currently here, working and able to support themselves and their children. Likewise with those expats currently living in Europe, they should be allowed to stay where they are. However those living here who rely on benefits should be required to leave or the EU should be prepared to support them, not an option I would really like as Brussels cannot be trusted to pay up.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

I doubt that UKIP can stick to any promises - it easy to make statements when you know you won't get into power rather like the LibDems. I, also, wonder what will happen to all those ex-pats living in Europe at the moment, who that get medical care with the bill being £1 billion per annum to the NHS.They apparently get various medications costing a lot of money that are unavailable on the NHS.  These issues will all need to be thrashed out and many many more - it will be a long process. I wouldn't trust May to deal fairly with the electorate and certainly not to negotiate a deal with the EU given that she has already stated no deal is better than a bad deal. A bad deal is not acceptable and the country needs someone who will give us a good deal and not walk away with nothing.  She is too likely to leave in a huff or change her mind.  I did see a vary short snapshot of the Paxman interview. I wasn't impressed with him, he has become a bit of a caricature and she just looked uncomfortable and came out with the usual slogans and was repetitive. She is always so tense, grimaces and the rictus smile doesn't impress.  Corbyn was very much more relaxed and confident.  The Tory campaign is now so rattled they are resorting to the usual Crosby-ridden insults and slagging off of the oppostition - all the usual rubbish - a real turn-off!

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

I have decided to vote UKIP because I am becoming increasingly concerned about the Torys obtaining a heavy victory and there is no other party that goes anywhere near satisfying my concerns about immigration. I forced myself to watch about 15 minutes of the debate on TV last night but the screaming banshees were out in force and I couldn't stand anymore. I think all the women were were disgraceful and they wonder why it has taken so long for any numbers to infiltrate the corridors of power.I am not naive enough to believe all that Theresa May promises and I don't trust her anymore than I trust any of the leaders but the one I mistrust most is Angela Merkel.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Hi Oracle,
Like you I forced myself to watch some of the debate last night - screaming banshees does reflect the it, certainly some of time! It hasn't changed my vote but I didn't learn anything new. I doubt that all this airtime will change peoples' minds about who they vote for, it seems that the intitial intention doesn't alter throughout the campaigns.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Thought I'd like to share this with you Mary, Oracle, John and Peter

Couldn't have put it better myself!

real not smears 35 minutes ago
@acme You show a lack of experience.  You have no idea about the EU, or UK financial services.  The City will grow as world No 1 financial city.  Paris is No 29, next to Casablanca.  Paris has for years bashed anglo saxon bankers.  Now you think they want them to move to Paris?  Right..!

One UK world size bank has been trying for years to close the loss making paris office.  The French say ... Non!

The EU has been shafting the UK for decades.  The EU has manipulated UK markets to favour r27, especially German exporters.  A main early example was the UK fishing industry.  Now about 5% it's size pre EU.  The same EU attitude applies to all UK business.  The EU is very jealous of UK success and has been trying to take chunks for years.

The EU FTT was a 'dagger at the City heart', now thwarted.  But huge EU bank bailouts still threaten.  The UK needs to leave before the next big downturn.

The UK has been paying double the cost of WTO tariffs to let r27 countries have protected access to UK consumers.  Why?

The EU has taken UK taxpayers funds and used it for grants to UK companies to relocate to E Europe.  Great for Hungary.  Very bad if you work(ed) in Southampton.  Repeat that multiple times, just an impression that all is not fair in the EU.   No wonder the EU thinks the UK is stupid.

The customs union is a protection wall to cover r27 exporters.  So UK buyers pay increased prices for competing non EU goods.  Why are UK buyers paying an extra 10% for non EU cars to 'protect' German car makers paid some $60/ hr. $120,000 a year?

To walk away with no EU deal onto WTO terms would be fine for the UK.  Drop all the costly EU regulation.  That saves some £30 Bn pa (EU figs) for the 96% of UK firms who do No EU trade.  The 4% who do EU trade will have hugely increased advantage, with some 12% currency shift, and pay only an average 2.7% WTO tariff.

The EU is in collapse, demographically, financially and politically.  7% of world population, less with out the UK, 25% of world GDP, falling to 15% according to Junker, and 50% of world welfare.  Germany loses 20% of workers to retire by 2025-30.  That is 20% less GDP, 20% more costs.  The rest are far worse.

The real issue is how much better off will the UK be free of the EU, and what will the EU pay to be allowed free trade to UK markets?

Flag4RecommendedReply
Mr D Akenhead 30 minutes ago
@real not smears @acme There speaks a future leader of the Conservative Party I would like to recognise! If the UK is utterly mad they will vote in Jeremy Corbyn, and Diane Abbott gazing in awe at her beautiful manicure, then raising her vacuous eyes to the ceiling!

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Hi David,
Your post was very interesting, as usual - I always like to get more information and hear what you think, although we do disagree at times. With respect, I won't be voting for May - don't like, trust or respect her - she doesn't have the humility, charm or skill required for our divorce from the EU - she is more interested in her own ambition than for what is good for the UK - and changes when it suits her. I am a Brexiteer too!

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

I'm not mad about her either! (I'd far sooner this chap was at the helm). I think she will seriously have to consider her position after all this, and I would not be uncomfortable with Amber Rudd at the helm either. Boris, can be a bit wayward, but like Trump, on a few things I agree with him! (no climate change sign up accord in Paris, I hasten to add - if America withdraw, that's the beginning of the end of Trump, as far as I'm concerned, and if he decides against, my faith will be restored if he can persuade his buddy, Putin, to follow suit!)

Back to June 8th - I think this matter of relieving ourselves from the EU yoke transcends party allegiance - and so, if I were permitted to vote (and that's another insult to us exPats) I'd hold my nose and X May!

P.S. This kind of sums it up for me, I'm afraid!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F00cb37bc-4639-11e7-a901-fbc155c10c07.jpg?crop=2791%2C1860%2C557%2C157&resize=758

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Very interesting post David. Like I have said, in one way or another the UK has been bankrolling the EU for years.

Just watched Andrew Neil's interview with Tim Farron (what an objectionable man he is) He and his predecessor have been on TV today with their Brexit scaremongering. It is obvious that the Lib Dems sole intention is to remain in the EU at all costs if they can possibly swing it, by fair means or foul. I am not a violent person but whenever I see both he and Nick Clegg I wish to slap the pair of them.
I just hope they lose their remaining few seats.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

Oracle,
Me too - they just don't get it do they - the majority of the electorate want to leave the EU and we will whether they like or not. I didn't watch Farron - I find him a bit of a twit - it is the only way I can describe him - rather sanctimonious! Totally unlikely to get into a powerful position - luckily. Clegg - he is finished although I rather doubt he realises it.
David - I am glad to hear that you do not much like May either - I think she will hang on for dear life, and will be very difficult to dig out as she will claim that she is the reason the Tories won the election - fantasy of course. As for Boris, he is another who truly believes it is his birthright to be PM - like Cameron and Osborne. He has been closeted up very tightly during the campaign because his mouth runs away with him. He really is a buffoon and an embarrassment. I think May will keep him in the cabinet as he is safer in than out. Hammond may well be out of a job and Rudd will be favoured I suspect, as will Fallon and Damien Green. It is interesting that Fox hasn't shown his face and not much of Davies who is actually the only Tory I have any respect for and that isn't much.  My problem is that not one of them seems to have an clue about what is happening in this country.  They do not appear to be aware of the failing public services,NHS and education system.  They have tried hard to focus on Brexit alone and not addressed the other important issues - the inequality, homelessness and poverty.  There has been no mention of specific plans for Brexit or anything else for that matter except the dementia tax screw-up and removal of the winter fuel payments for some people - no expansion on who or how. The Tory manifesto and subsequent interviews have all been sound bites or vague intentions - none fleshed out properly.  I love the fact you may have to hold your nose to vote May - that's if you can vote - I will keep that image in my mind when I cast may vote next Thursday. I won't be doing the same and I have had a leaflet through recently and I know I can vote for my favoured party in spite of living in a safe Tory seat with a completely useless MP, for whom I have no respect whatsoever. Good to hear from you and Oracle.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

What is very clear to me, Oracle, is that a vote for freedom from Europe will engender massive renewed confidence and reinvestment in Britain. If May does not get a decent majority on June the 8th, Britain can expect the reverse. I know which way I'd be voting, even if I loathed her (as I have done in the past!), but I thought, perhaps erroneously that she had what it takes to lead our party. I'm not so sure about that now!

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

David,
I wonder how you are feeling now - Trump has withdrawn from the Paris agreement - I think this mentioned in his campaign. I think you said that it would be the last straw for you.  I am appalled but unsurprised, he has always said some very strange things about climate change - a chinese hoax etc. I wonder about his sanity and the people he has surrounded himself with are very suspect - especially the likes of Steve Bannon. I wonder what Mrs May makes of it - this man is not trustworthy and certainly cannot be relied upon for trade deals etc. What are your thoughts? He is the butt of many a joke in this country - offers fertile ground for the satirists.

Re: May v Corbyn TV interview

This post was updated on .
The moment I heard the appalling news I was posting madly on The Times - here are some of the highlights of my ensuing debate!

Antonia 7 hours ago
I believe in climate change. I see it and feel it all around me. I have watched it here on the south coast as winters grow milder every year and plants that were strictly summer flowering survive the winter months and have been flowering since April.
Flag7RecommendedReply
Mr D Akenhead 7 hours ago
@Antonia It won't last, Antonia, I fear - witness the icebergs I see every day now streaming down from Greenland, with her glaciers melting like crazy, diluting the sea water, to deflect the gulf stream from its traditional path to the west coasts of Ireland and Scotland now to Bergen in northern Norway! ensuring UK will experience increasing extremes in temperature and tides in the coming years, just as we are currently experiencing in Newfoundland - one day freezing, next day, boiling! This is no myth. You all saw our ginormous iceberg at Ferryland earlier this year, which would have dwarfed the Titanic's experience! She'd probably have disintegrated on the spot if she had hit that! If that isn't proof of global warming, Mr Trump, show me what is!
5RecommendReply
Ytongs 7 hours ago
@Mr D Akenhead @Antonia  Don't doubt it DA. What is missing is precisely (not a guess please) how much of that is from man's activities and having established that decide how we can best reduce our contribution.
Flag6RecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 7 hours ago
@Ytongs @Mr D Akenhead @Antonia answering you as truthfully as I can, that, as they say, is the billion dollar question! What is the extent of man's contribution to this change? Certainly when it comes to depletion of the ozone layer, I believe the proof is more evident. But as Carnot wisely surmised, the whole is equal to the sum of its parts, is it not, and if man is only a tiny part, he is still very much a catalyst, wouldn't you say?
4RecommendReply
Ytongs 59 minutes ago
@Mr D Akenhead @Ytongs @Antonia  I would but at the moment we are busily engaged upon spending trillions on a guess when it might be better directed to better effect. And at the end of that (if there ever would be an end) the planet temperature might still be rising at more or less the same rate.
The sum of your parts argument doesn't mean they are all equal parts.
If I thought they knew what they were talking about then I would agree. There is no scientific consensus. For every one who claims to know, there will be another equally qualified who says they are wrong. And that's ignoring the mistruths that annoyingly arise from time to time.
There would be no dispute over the freezing point of water because that has a scientific consensus climate arguments do not.
FlagRecommendReply
Babylas 45 minutes ago
@Ytongs @Mr D Akenhead @Antonia Simply not true. There is a scientific consensus. The vast majority of scientists say that climate change is being driven by human activity. The consensus is well over 90% of scientists, so implying it's 50/50 is a deliberate distortion, which I suspect you know full well.

THERESE PRIEUR 9 hours ago
It takes a village to raise a child.
It takes a village idiot to destroy a village, all the villages and the planet to make sure.
Sad.
Flag12RecommendedReply
Mr D Akenhead 9 hours ago
@THERESE PRIEUR vous etes une poete! Je vous salue!

Mr D Akenhead 8 hours ago
This is a very bad move indeed - so much so, that any support I may have had for President Trump just evaporated, and if Mrs May supports him too over this, my confidence in her will diminish further. There is nothing more important today than the husbanding of our beautiful fragile earth and all its wonderful species in even greater danger as a result of this. Paris, I reckon you will have the next Olympics on a plate now! - and as for the following one, Los Angeles will need to mount a very convincing argument to get that, and I can't see it happening myself unless there is a swift sea change!
8RecommendReply
Alistair Speirs 8 hours ago
@Mr D Akenhead
I must say that I was surprised that a smart person like you ever had any sympathy for Trump, Mr A.
Flag8RecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 8 hours ago
@Alistair Speirs @Mr D Akenhead clearly, I'm not so smart - I thought he was bluffing to gain advantage!

Johnny Norfolk 9 hours ago
At long last someone has stood up to the climate change lie. It had to be Trump what a great man he is leading the world in the truth.

THERESE PRIEUR 9 hours ago
I suggest you visit the Alps and its inhabitants. And try to expand your interesting theory in front of them.
This said, I do not guarantee you will not leave unmolested.

Mr D Akenhead 8 hours ago
@Johnny Norfolk Johnny come lately, please! Better that than never! Stephen Hawking is right. The next hundred years are critical for our precious planet, more precious than all the riches in the ground!

This will be the end of the very expensive, guaranteed price of the nuclear programme, as Trump will no go  all out for cheap energy to bring jobs back to the USA, and if we continue guaranteing price it could well bankrupt us.
Flag4RecommendReply
Mr D Akenhead 7 hours ago
@PAUL LEWIS who needs nuclear energy when we have solar with no mess to clean up afterwards for hundreds of years? Nuclear energy very bad for mankind's future!

THERESE PRIEUR 8 hours ago
When the sea level rises and Grimsby is under water, remind its inhabitants of globalism...
Flag2RecommendedReply

Mr D Akenhead 7 hours ago
@Nigel Gilbert as one who began his career as an FX trader, I think Trump's latest move will weaken the US dollar like crazy - so, in a way, he's going to get what he wants, a weak dollar to improve jobs on the home front, and the rest of the world can go hang, and doubtless he'll make a big song and dance about how right he was all along! Trouble is, it hasn't dawned on him yet that he is part of that world, but the penny will drop when huge parts of Florida like Grimsby, which Therese mentioned, goes under! He needs to step down and let Tillerson take over, in my view!

Gentleman living in Surrey 9 hours ago
“Il n'y a d'autre enfer pour l'homme que la bêtise ou la méchanceté de ses semblables. ”

Marquis de Sade
Flag7RecommendedReply
PAUL LEWIS 9 hours ago
@Gentleman living in Surrey

If you prefer to live in Surrey, then you should comment in English.

Flag1RecommendReply
THERESE PRIEUR 9 hours ago
There is but one Hell for Man, one built by stupidity and the nastiness of our fellow men.
Happy now?
Flag5RecommendedReply
Mr D Akenhead 8 hours ago
@THERESE PRIEUR they should pin that on Trump Towers!

Mary and friends, hopefully I have made my views clear on this issue!

Trump is not longer in my esteem!