Quantcast

MP's vote to allow article 50

dave 1 dave 1

MP's vote to allow article 50

Today's vote as gone through with 498 backing Democracy and 114 who don't believe in a Democratic vote.The MP's that voted against say they are for their constituents but the vote was not about regions it was taken for this United Kingdom.They just do not want to except the Democratic vote.Not all their constituents will have voted to remain.They seem to want to cherry pick.I see these MP's as trying to force their will on the majority of the people of this Country.The vote on Brexit,was more Democratic than a General Election,as ever vote counted.

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

Dave 1

You said......

"The MP's that voted against say they are for their constituents but the vote was not about regions it was taken for this United Kingdom.
They just do not want to except the Democratic vote.Not all their constituents will have voted to remain.
"

If you believe in Democracy then you should accept the rights of those MP's who voted against the triggering of article 50 that would start the process of leaving the Union with the EU.

I for one would expect my local MP to vote in accordance with how the majority voted in my MP's constitutional area.

I voted to leave the EU but I respect those who had chosen to remain and their right to have their local MP's represent the majority that may have voted to remain in any given constitutional area.

In my view an MP is there to represent the majority in his local area, if they do not then this is when I would welcome the Right of Recall to hold them to account for ignoring the majority vote in his area.

Out of the 114 who voted against triggering article 50 to leave the EU you can take 59 MP's from Scotland (who were always going to vote against it) that leaves only 55 MP's in rUK that voted along with those who voted them into office to represent their local constituents.

55 MP's out 438 MP's from rUK is a good healthy exercise in the democratic process and has nothing to do with MP's not believing in the democratic process.
Peter C
dave 1 dave 1

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

Hi Peter,I do agree in Democracy and I believe in right of recall.I would first ask you about the vote of all the Scottish MP,s.are you saying that the constituents of all 56 areas was a majority vote to stay with the EU and that is why they all voted against the bill.I suspect that had the majority of the people in Scotland voted to leave the EU that those 56 MP,s would still have voted against the bill.On the whole,I believe that MP,s only vote what the people want when it fits with what they want.Only last week Mp,s were saying that they are voted in for them to decide what is right for the people.What they are saying is that the people of this Country are not capable to think for themselves.These are some of the People that voted against the bill,and it had nothing to do with what their constituents wanted.As regards Scotland Peter,Nicole Sturgeon and Parties will not be happy until they get Scottish Independence.That is not going with the majority of their constituents.Power as gone to her head.Scotland beware.

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

It should be remembered that the Scottish vote in the EU referendum had a much lower turn out compared to the Independence vote, over a million registered voters did not bother, so what value can we put against the Scottish Remain result.

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

Hi Dave 1

You said.......

"I would first ask you about the vote of all the Scottish MP,s.are you saying that the constituents of all 56 areas was a majority vote to stay with the EU"

The fact is that yes all Scottish council areas voted to Remain in the EU by a majority.

Below I will give you the actual figures and post a picture showing just how much support was given to the Remain side.

Scotland voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38% - with all 32 council areas backing Remain.

Even though there were many who voted to leave the EU (myself included) there were not enough who voted to leave in any one of the 32 Scottish council area's to counter the Remain majority in every Scottish council area.

Which gives the SNP MPs the legitimaticy to claim they represent a majority in every Scottish council area and should have rightly stood up for the majority in Scotland by voting against triggering article 50. This majority came from not only SNP voters but Labour, libdems and Tory's.

I am not sure but I am fairly sure you would be looking at English MP's who voted against the majority that voted to leave the EU but chose to vote against triggering article 50.......

I would say they should be looking for a new job come next election and is a good example of the need for the Right of Recall

As for SNP you are right the will vote against anything Westminster decides.

However, the fear of or the threat from Nicola Sturgeon in regard to a 2nd Scottish Independence referendum is only a threat because if the SNP thought for a second that they could win a referendum on Independence they would already have set a date.

Believe me they are in no position to win a 2nd Scottish Independence referendum and it won't happen regardless of when the UK leaves the EU.

We voted as one UK be it a Union of four nation it was as the UK and we voted to leave the EU.

The SNP will just have to hum and haw as we will be LEAVING the EU as a member of the Union with rUK.

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

John K,

Regardless if there had been a 100% turnout in Scotland and had there been a 100% vote to Remain in the EU

We voted at a Union of four nations namely the UK. Therefore we must go with the overall count in the UK and yes it would look bad but there is nothing can be said about the fact it was a UK referendum on leaving or remaining in the EU.

It's LEAVE the EU whether the SNP like it or not.

Re: MP's vote to allow article 50

Peter C

Amen to that Peter!