Has Theresa May gone far enough on Immigration?

123456 ... 25
Darwin Darwin

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

I think I have to agree with David Cameron on this one.
We can live as a multi-racial society, but I don't think we can live as a multi-cultural one.
The colour of someone's skin shouldn't matter.
Where they came from shouldn't matter.
Someone's religion shouldn't matter.
The culture that they believe in and follow does matter.

If someone from a different culture decides that where they live is not for them and wants to live their life in a different way, then that is what they should do.
If their home nation is that unpalletable that they have to come here to get away from it, then they should be made to live like us. If they don't like how we live they should find somewhere else that is more to their liking.
This has nothing to do with colour, race, or religion. It is to do with immigrants who want to live here, living like us and not trying to emulate what they have turned their back on in their own country. If they want to live as they did in their home country, they ought to go back there. It's not a racist view, it's just plain common sense.
John C John C

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

Well said WPM, couldn't agree more.

Everyone is the same under the skin so ethnic background should make no difference. All are welcome who want to come here to live by our rules, contribute to our society and treat everyone the same. Their beliefs etc can be followed as that's a private matter as long as it doesn't go against this country and the way people live here. If they don't want to live here by our rules, then as you say, find somewhere they can live and be happy with the rules. Don't moan just go, only logical. Might save something on the welfare bill as well!
Rookery Rookery

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

Well put.   I think this is what the vast majority of UK citizens think too.    So what is stopping those in power doing something ????      Why dont they investigate more of arranged marriages here and abroad - ban the burka (how can people integrate with people outside their own circle when they look like a post box) - thoroughly investigate religious schools - greater penalties for honour killings(deportation) - and deportation for those immigrants found guilty of a serious crime(we have enough criminals of our own, why should we support someone elses.  etc  etc.

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

Gillian Kilby Gillian Kilby

Pensioners v Illegal immegrants... is this true?

Mr Cameron,

I have just received this email... are the figures true Mr Cameron?

If so, WHY did I work so hard for so many years??

I look forward to receiving a reply.

Thank you

Gill Kilby.

OH   BRITAIN !!
~
ABOUT RIGHT!
We’re"broke"and can't help our own
Pensioners, Homeless,Orphans, etc.,
Are you aware of the following?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance: -

BENEFIT BRITISH
OLD-AGED PENSIONER                          ILLEGAL  IMMIGRANT/
                                                                REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
Weekly allowance              £100                                         £250
Weekly Spouse allowance   £25                                         £225
Additional weekly hardship allowance £0.00                            £100

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT £6,000                                       £29,900

Please read all and then forward to all your contacts so that we can lobby for a decent aged pension.

After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the growth of this country
for the last 40 to 60 years.

 Sad isn't it?

Most people won't have the guts to forward this.

I Just Did!

june june

Re: Pensioners v Illegal immegrants... is this true?

yes,I think  it is true,      I read an article in the   this england   magazine which says that the widow of a bomb disposal expert who was killed in afghanistan gets £6000 a year,   and the   imprisoned preacher who was convicted 0n terrorism charges is paid £30,000 a year to support his wife and 6 children while he is alive in prison, this makes me so angry   what is fair mr cameron ?   this government needs to get it's priorities right,
adminukpolitics adminukpolitics

Re: Pensioners v Illegal immegrants... is this true?

This is a hoax email circulated by far right groups and has now been doing the rounds for a while.  It is debunked at hoax-slayer.com and parliament watchdog site i will provide both links below.
Detailed Analysis
According to this widely circulated protest message, an asylum seeker (refugee) in the UK is eligible to receive a much higher weekly benefit payment from the British government than do aged pensioners who have lived and worked in the country for years before retirement. It decries this apparent disparity in benefit amounts as unfair to British pensioners. The claims in the message have caused much consternation among British citizens.

However, the claims in the message are untrue. The refugee payment figures stated in the protest message bear no relation whatsoever to the amounts actually payed to refugees. In fact, the message is nothing more than a UK specific version of an email hoax that has circulated in Australia, the US and Canada for several years. The rumour first began circulating in 2004 after an inaccurate and misleading letter to the editor was published in a Canadian newspaper. This initial Canadian version was dismissed as a hoax by government entity Citizenship and Immigration Canada and other credible sources.

Unfortunately, the false protest message later spawned other, equally spurious, versions set in several different countries. As early as 2007, an Australian version of the hoax was circulating. The message caused a great deal of anger and resentment among recipients and has been discussed at length on various talk-back radio shows and in letters to the editor in newspapers across the country. However, the information in the Australian version of the message is also total nonsense and in no way reflects the real level of entitlements for refugees or pensioners in Australia. The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship was compelled to publish information refuting the false rumours.

And the UK government has also published information dismissing the UK version of the protest email as false. A briefing paper available on the UK Parliament website denounces the claims in the message as a hoax, noting in part:

The email contains text from a protest email which has been circulating in Australia for some time now, but which may have originated in Canada. Versions also circulate in the United States, and elements even appear in protest emails as far afield as India. The UK version has been adapted, somewhat crudely, for a domestic audience by someone or some organisation unknown. The figures quoted bear no relation whatsoever to the situation in the United Kingdom.
The briefing paper also provides details about the actual entitlements for UK pensioners and those seeking asylum in the UK:
Actual entitlements for people from abroad and UK pensioners

“Illegal immigrants” are people who have entered the UK unlawfully, or who have stayed here for longer than they were allowed without making another application. They do not have the right to work. Since they are in the UK without legal status, they are liable to be removed if they come to the attention of immigration authorities.

People who require leave to enter or remain in the UK, but who do not have it, are ‘persons subject to immigration control’ within the meaning of section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and as such are not eligible for social security benefits, except those which depend on National Insurance contributions, such as contribution-based JSA. However, it is highly unlikely that a person in the UK without legal status will have a sufficient NI contribution record to gain entitlement to contributory benefits.

“Refugees” – i.e. asylum seekers whose application for asylum has been successful – are able to claim social security benefits and tax credits on the same basis as UK nationals, but may find it difficult to gain entitlement to contributory benefits since these depend upon the person having a sufficient contribution record.

The figures in the final column of the table in the email bear no relation to any UK out-of-work benefit rates. The current rate of income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, for example, is £65.45 a week for a single person aged 25 or over, or £102.75 for a couple. People in receipt of out-of-work benefits may also receive Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, but the table does not mention assistance with housing costs.

Asylum seekers – i.e. persons waiting for a decision on an asylum application - are not entitled to mainstream non-contributory social security benefits including income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit. Instead, they may be eligible for accommodation and/or financial support from the UK Border Agency. Cash support for asylum seekers is less generous than social security benefits; for example, a single person.
Thus this protest email is nothing more than a British version of an utterly false rumour that began life in Canada and has since spread around the world. Regardless of your views on the handling of refugees, spreading such misinformation will help no one and will serve only to muddy the waters of what is often a complex and contentious issue. If you receive a version of this hoax please do not forward it to others. And please take a moment to let the sender know that the information in the protest message is untrue.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpapers/commons/lib/research/briefings/snsp-05621.pdf
june june

Re: Pensioners v Illegal immegrants... is this true?

would like to know how much the preacher in prison is costing the tax payer to support his family !is the figure of £30,000 correct ?
derfledermause derfledermause

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

Peter, dear sir, my point is that the Australian indigenous population were basically kind caring people, just like the indigenous population of the UK. They had their country taken from them by immigrants, just like New Zealand, North and South America and many other countries. Hold out the hand of friendship to immigrants and watch the UK taken from us. Immigration has nothing to do with racism, it is maths, they come here in great numbers, breed like flies and gradually outnumber us. They win at the ballot box, form a government mainly of immigrants, look how many immigrant MP's there  are in parliament. Then you will see what racism and ethnic cleansing really means.

Re: Immigration

Darwin Darwin

Re: Immigration

I agree but would add a note of caution when using the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

It was the Romans who nailed up and murdered one of the major figures in our culture, namely Jesus Christ, in an attempt to stem the following he was generating.

These days, it is the Muslim extremeists who are trying to do exactly the same as the Romans did, so perhaps we nned to come up with a different saying that may be more appropriate.
Dee Dee

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

I completely agree with you Peter I also feel that I am sometimes being prejudiced against when I go for basic office jobs as I have qualifications coming out of my hind legs so to speak.
I wish people would be not be so biased against British South Africans applying for jobs as yes, I am of english decent but I am born in South africa, my parents are english yet happened to live in South Africa as residents for an almighty 28 yrs and I have been here for 8 years. Why is there a problem when south africans (british) get a job whom have pure english blood, what are the prejudices about south africans coming here to take jobs when it is clear that they have heritage here. Stop the ignorance, stop the prejudice!!! Stop being so racist about your change of attitude toward me on the phone when you hear my south african accent when you phone me and happen to put me forward for a job.

I have written this piece after being accused in the work place so many times "Why are you coming here to take our jobs?" or "Another foreigner taking our jobs!". I object to THAT !!!I am of english descent as my parents whom are/were ex pats are nationals of this country and I have EVERY RIGHT to be here as I am a British citizen and possess a passport. I wish people would grow up and stop being so prejudiced. I have a right to be here as do many ex pats whom have a right to be in Dubai or South Africa or Australia. Stop the bad attitude towards us.
Dee Dee

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

The ignorance is overwhelming:(

Re: Immigration

Darwin Darwin

Re: Immigration

To be honest with you, I think immigration isn't the real issue, it is the type of person coming here that is the problem. We do actually need immigrants because we are not generating enough children to continue support ourselves.

It is no secret that our ageing population is the biggest challenge that we, and every other country is facing. It is the biggest challenge because there is nothing we can do about it.
Unless we revert to killing people who reach a certain age, the ageing number will continue to grow at an alarming and unstoppable rate.
The rate that people are retiring is greater than the rate that children are being born, so we have to look to 'working' immigrants to fill the void that we are creating ourselves.

Where it all starts going wrong is where,
a. illegal immigrants are allowed to stay here - they should be immediately deported.
    this includes foreign students who come here to attend university, then drop out and
    go missing. We should hunt them down and chuck them out.
b. EU immigrants have automatic welfare rights that entitle them to draw family allowance
   and tax credits and send the money back to families who have never set foot here.
c. non-EU immigrants with no skills are allowed to settle here. (we can't stop the EU's)
d. those who come here want to continue living as they did in the country they have
    either run away from or turned their back on.

All immigrants should have a skill that we need and should secure accomodation and a job before they arrive here. Try emigrating to another country without a sponsor, a job, and somewhere to live, and they won't let you in.

It would be wrong to stop immigration because, like it or not, we need it, but we have got to stop the wrong people coming here, and basically taking the piss out of us.

Re: Immigration

John C John C

Re: Immigration

With regard to immigration and the skills/education gap that causes the need for immigration. If governments would stop pandering to every fad and stop interfering in education, if teachers were allowed to teach relevant subjects and were allowed to discipline those who disrupt classes, even to the point of exclusion WITHOUT the local authority turning the decision over, giving the impression that teachers deserve no respect, then maybe we would have an upcoming generation that would have the ability to fill the skills gap due to being taught how to learn!
Learning is not a natural skill, it has to be taught and a good teacher will leave a student with a hunger for knowledge and a lifelong desire to learn new things. In this age of rapid development in technology that would be an asset to any company. There are always students who perform at different levels so why must education be a one size fits all?
Bring back apprenticeships. Don't decree that ALL must go to university as not everyone is cut out for an academic life and maybe this way the educational overheads will be cut by not providing degrees in surfing and concentrating on subjects that would prepare students for life. It may lead to getting back to a 'free' university education.
Then maybe we won't have to look overseas for our engineers, doctors, nurses etc, or at least we may not need as many!

Re: Immigration

I find it very interesting that one of the first public funded organisations to suffer considerable job losses is Border Control, one of the most important in the Country. Increasing our security at ports, airports and along our coastline in general needs extra resources and I believe it is one area where monies should be spent. Tracking down illegals, the people who employ them and deporting them all requires resources and it seems the Government is sending out a message to us all. They are not listening, have no intention of listening and will therefore do nothing to
tackle this growing problem. Welcome to the melting pot!

Tom xxx Tom xxx

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

It's About time David Cameron grew a pair, why does'nt he stand and up and say what he really thinks about the immigration status of this country and does something about it.
I know people in this country have had enough, you only have to listen to them talking, everyone has had enough but are too scared to say anything, because if you do they can be accused of racial hatred. the english people are now the minority in this country. My seven year old neice was told to remove her crusafix as it would could offend the muslim children in her class. Is it a wonder people are getting angry, especially when David Cameron and his little lap dog Nick Clegg hav'nt grown a pair between them and do something about it
Yes we should respect their beliefs but they should also respect ours> which they don't.

Immigrants wanting to come in to the country should have to prove they have got a skilled job offer, enough funds to support themself and they will not be allowed to claim any benefits while in the uk. No immigrants should be allowed to become a citizen of the uk. Yes, Do give a visa which has to be renewed every two years, then after five years if they are still employed and have no crimal record, issue them with permanant right to remain, but with good reason can be cancelled by immigration. That way it is easier for the law to deport that person. any child born to that person while in the uk would be registered the same nationality as the parents and not as a uk citizen

As of this year 2011 a five year stop on immigration into the uk should be brought in

Belive me when i say i am not raciast, as my wife is Asian

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

This post was updated on .
Well said Tom,
All recent Governments have denied any responsibility for vast numbers of immigrants who have come to this Country claiming there is little they can do about it, and whilst I can see that there is probably a need for a small number with skills that are of benefit, in general they are a drain on resources.

Indirectly racism is being promoted by the Government through their failure to protect the rights of the indigenous population and seemingly giving more to immigrants. With special emphasis on their religious claims.

As I have said before, religion has been the cause of more strife in this world than anything else and although I understand some people need what they feel as support from religious beliefs, that is a personal thing. Religion in general should not be given such a high profile and certainly not the reason to allow these non-christians to flout the laws of this land.

The view of many people on this site is that immigrants should only stay here if they can accept our culture and not to try and impose their culture on us. If that is not acceptable through their religious beliefs then they should go back where they came from.

Discontent amongst people in general seems to be growing and at some point the "worms" will turn. Government needs to wake up and address this problem seriously not waste their time on whether we should have British Summer time or Double British Summer time or when Bank holidays should be and all the other fairly inconsequential  rubbish we are being confronted with on a daily basis.

Immigration is a major problem that is not going to go away. Stop making excuses about the EU rules. It is my guess that in it's present form the EU will not be around for much longer so for all our sakes, heed the writing on the wall before it really is too late!
123456 ... 25