Quantcast

Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

1 ... 22232425
Karen.H Karen.H

Re: Immigration

I must admit to being a little baffled, as to what the purpose of curbing immigration would be, and I was hoping someone would explain.

I have no problem with people emigrating to the UK however I see 2 main issues that are arising, and I am not sure they have anything to do with the people actually entering our country:-

Firstly there is the argument that people are coming from overseas and taking our jobs. I work in a global company and we employ people in the offices in the different countries around the world. Very few people from other offices are wanting to be transferred from other countries into the UK. Saying that the company that cleans our UK office is predominantly people from Eastern Europe. I have no issue with this, however if I look at the rest of the population, there are thousands of people on benefits that could also do these jobs, so why aren't they? I believe that we have encouraged the feeling over the years that everybody deserves benefits. These people could get work, however they probably feel that cleaning jobs etc are "beneath them". So if people want to come to this country to work to maintain this country, I say let them in. After all England has been a multicultural society, since we decided to set up the colonies centuries ago now.

The second issue I see is that we do indeed have a lot of people coming to the UK for the benefits. I do think that everybody in society should get help when things get tough, however I don't believe that it should be more lucrative to be on benefits than to work. If I remember my grand father, he had polio so he had a crippled foot, he also had 3 children to support, and did any job necessary to feed and house his family. We seem to have lost this feeling of responsibility, however most of the immigrants have not and it is this responsibility that drives them to come and work in this country.

So I ask again is it the immigrants that are the problem, or are there things that need to be changed within our society that will allow everyone benefit.

Re: Immigration

Karen,

I don't think anyone apart from BNP or EDL supporters object to immigrants coming here to the UK.

The problems with our open door policy is.......

Not enough council or housing association homes being built to accommodate people already here.

Non English speaking immigrants should not be allowed, a basic understanding, reading and speaking English helps integration rather than foreigners sticking in their own ethnic groups.

Pressure on GP's, hospitals, schools!

America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are multicultural but they have a points system for entry into their countries, can i ask you why you don't favour a points system rather than an open door, free for all?

We have a Tory government who has instructed and backing a culture of Benefit Sanctions.
If there is to benefit sanctions then we must have jobs that pay a living wage so we don't have the working poor who depend on top up money from government...... it's time we stop the free hand out to employer's who don't pay a living wage which makes employer's a drain on taxpayers money.

If we don't want people living on taxpayers back (on benefits) we need to get jobs for folks here we can't support the world's population to get employment.

Not even UKIP want to ban or rid the UK of its multicultural society.

It's just common sense policies that benefit our country and society we already have.

I agree with you that immigration is not the problem, it's Numbers!

Open door free for all immigration is just plain stupid.

A controlled immigration policy based on a points system is best for our country, economy, and most importantly...... fair on the citizens already living here already.

This does not mean that we won't need immigrants and it certainly does not kill off the UK multiculturalism.

Re: Immigration

There is a difference between immigration and MASS immigration which is what we have been subjected to for far too many years now and it is a BIG problem. Common sense tells us that the current levels of immigration into this Country are not sustainable. We have a cronic housing problem largely created by foreign investors who either buy to let or buy to leave empty and the demands made by mass immigration are pushing up prices and rents for everyone. Our schools are bursting at the seams and the introduction of Free Schools will only fragment the education system and facilitate religious bias. We have already seen questionable activities in some of these establishments. Our NHS is in grave danger and I am tired of hearing the same old cry of where would it be without immigrants? Well there would be a lot more space in our hospitals and doctor's surgeries if the numbers were curtailed because as there are many who work in the NHS there are many many more using it. Our transport systems, roads, trains and underground are all groaning under the weight of so many commuters and travellers. Soon they will have to employ "pushers" just to push people onto commuter trains as they do in India and China. Many man hours are wasted by people sitting in traffic jams all over the country. We are slowly but surely grinding to a halt. As Peter has said many employers are happy to use immigrants as cheap labour and we the tax payers are in effect subsidising these companies who fail to pay even the minimum wage let alone a living wage, added to which much of the money paid to immigrants finds it way out of the Country to support their families in their mother land. The other problem is that no politicians in the Labour Party, Tory Party or indeed the Lib Dems will ever admit that they have been wrong in their open door policies by bowing down to the freedom of movement rules imposed by the EU.
They will continue to use the fear factor to prevent the electorate seeing that
joining was the biggest mistake ever made.

Re: Immigration

Karen H

Karen it is the case that a company like yours will use the services of an independent agency to provide your office cleaning service under contract.
The agencies recruit their staff in Eastern European countries, their contract with the agency is normally agreed under the national rules of those nations utilising agreed national wage scales, the contract terms will normally include low grade low cost accommodation in the UK that is available as long as the worker remains under contract. The average wage in most Eastern European countries varies between 25%-40% of the uK national minimum wage. This has the effect of driving down wages and job opportunities for UK workers.

Uncontrolled EU migration has seen our population grow by over 4,000,000 since 2000, the population density of the UK per square mile is currently between 670 and 678, in England alone that figure rises sharply to over 1,100 per square mile, compare that to metropolitan France which has a population almost as big as our own(currently F: 63,800,000 to UK:64,100,000) where the per capita population density is just 320, the total landmass of France is some 2.6 times greater than the UK.

Consequently the UK is very very over crowded, even if immigration ended tomorrow our social infrastructure would take at best estimate 20 years to catch up to the demand we are experiencing today.

From an economic position British employers are literally saving thousands of £ sterling each year by not employing, insuring, paying Employers NI contributions or statutory pension contributions for British workers, effectively consigning generations to the UK benefits system dump site.

Perhaps someday one of these unfortunate British workers might be a relation of yours, even your child.

Re: Immigration

Just posted this on Times Digital!

D Akenhead

I never thought I would support May after the Tappin and Qatada farces under her watch, where her earlier performance was inept and dismal to put it mildly; but on this issue I am 100% behind her. As I said in an earlier post, time to clean out our EU dustbin, and tell the EU where they can shove their Federalist claptrap! Well done Theresa May! Did I say that? Now, Theresa, do something about restoring the rights of UK subjects avoiding extradition to the US and, for Tappin and his family untold humiliation and unjustified misery for selling battery parts to Iran because Uncle Sam said NO! though I note that today, they seem to be bending over backwards to say YES! Total absence of support for this British citizen's human and legal rights to be tried in Britain. So, Theresa, if you want my support for a leadership bid you will do something about cleaning up that so-called extradition agreement putting British subjects first in future and illegal immigrants, like Qatada on the next plane out!

Re: Immigration

Figures released today show that immigration from the EU and from outside of the EU has massively increased over the past twelve months, I wonder how long the Government has been sitting on this data? I am willing to wager the knew about it before the General election and held back it's release to prevent UKip gaining a political advantage.
Patricia Patricia

Re: Immigration

I totally agree that it is more than time the government got tough on immigration. We who voted for you gave you another chance to put it right. Theresa May is showing her determination that it cannot go on and change is coming. I don't want to inflame the situation but there are so many parts of our country now that feel like India or Africa or Eastern Europe. Unfortunately these immigrants do not integrate and tend to collect in certain areas making the local people feel left out. In fact if you ask around a lot of people will say that it doesn't even feel like we live in the UK any more. If this problem is not addressed it will only get worse and the Government will be out. The British people have had enough and the EU have to recognise this.
Miss M Edwards Miss M Edwards

Re: Immigration

And mark my words, the Med Migrants are heading our way to join the thousands already waiting in Calais. I heard on the radio the other day that when the boats reach Sicily taxis already ordered from the boats are waiting and the migrants have no intention of staying in Italy. some are even given train tickets to Paris!

Re: Immigration

For the year to March 2015, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reported that there were 53,000 new Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants – “a statistically significant increase and almost double the 28,000 in the previous 12 months”.

Indeed such a rise is significant.

However the really crucial question is – why are the National Insurance numbers (NINos) so different, at a total of 214,000 registrations of Romanians and Bulgarians (EU2) to the year ending June 2015.

Re: Immigration

Has David Cameron gone far enough on reducing immigration......

The figures say it all......

2010.

Annual net migration to the UK in 2010 was 252,000

2015.

Net migration to UK hits record high of 330,000

David Cameron said the UK will take 20,000 Syrian Refugees over 5 years..... That's is 4,000 per year now the EU is about to send 90,000 per year.

Wrong the EU is about to DUMP 90,000

European Commission wants a new quota system to deal with refugees.

Britain would take 90,000, has been warned if it refuses it will lose right to send home migrants.

EU plans to make Britain accept 90,000 refugees a year as part of migrant quota!!
Peter C
Mary B Mary B

Re: Has David Cameron gone far enough on Immigration?

I think that what is being said by the Australian PM is so true. In the UK we hold our tongues about many things because the idiot Blair turned so everyone "PC" that freedom of speech died. What the Aussie PM has said is true, if people are offended, then tough, because nothing that was said was not true she simply talked about her country's culture, values & freedoms. I am truly in awe. Well done
1 ... 22232425