General Election

Should there be a General Election or not??

The Tory leader is gone, long live the Tory leader!!!!

The Tories had much to say about Gordon Brown being anointed PM and not going to the country.

Yet here you see the true twofacedness and double standards of the Tory party who are doing precisely what the critised the Labour party for not doing.

Theresa May go to the country if for no other reason that you are not the party of double standards......

Get a mandate from the people after all Labour is in such disarray the Tories are likely to enlarge their majority, so you have nothing to lose you're on a win win situation.

Any Tory supporter reading this, maybe you can give a good reason why not to go to the people and I mean something other than.....

We don't need to go to the people in a General Election!!

Re: General Election

Do you want a worthless currency? Have a General Election then! Pound has recovered 2.5 cents since the announcement, easing presuure on both the Chancellor and the BOE. The forecast is that if we can't get a single market deal with the EU our pound will drop to parity with the dollar, making cost of raw materials impossibly high, with huge multiple company failures and job losses. Do you really want that? I say stick with the devil you know. Your points are made about May. She's not perfect; (don't I know it!) but she showed magnanimity towards Leadsom who also has strengths and weaknesses, and she has shown a genuine desire to go with the will of the people. Brexit means Brexit. Who else has had the courage to say that to her European adversaries? Certainly not Nicola. Don't discount her desire to unite our country - I very much doubt if she will have any backstabbers in her cabinet, and that has to be a start. Personally, if Trump gets in in November, she may well start to embrace some of his vision (and Sanders) - get rid of the old Party system altogether and return to the idea of electing an assembly of knowledgeable people, who if they fall down on the job can get kicked out of the Assembly on an annual basis, without destroying the productivity of the good apples. The ancient Greeks can still teach us a thing or two! Personally, I'd give Corbyn a place!

Re: General Election

My post was to get opinions hence the question.

My point about having an election was only in correlation to Tories who Harped on about Gordon Brown not going to the country and had no mandate of which one Theresa May cheered the point rather loudly as I recall.

I also asked of any Tory to give a good reason why not to have an election.

You have given your reason and even though your point of a worthless pound is a good reason I can hardly see 4 to 6weeks to hold a General Election making that much off difference to the pound

However I would agree urgency is required but let's go to the country and do it with a real Tory mandate because let's face it the Tories will win