For whom the bell tolls?

Italy and hopefully the demise of the EU! Can't come soon enough for me. I can see all the rats scuttling back to London!

Re: For whom the bell tolls?

I think you are right, David. The EU is a disaster it is unravelling. There are a few at the top that want a federal Europe, a European army and closer unity. The Euro has been a complete  catastrophe and why anyone thought it would work is beyond me. The EU is made of very sophisticated countries with strong manufacturing and long held democracies and also poor, almost third world economies struggling to survive after being suppressed and stagnant eg Romania. Some with very nationalist pasts which sadly have risen again eg Hungary. I have never understood how this could possibly work especially with a common currency. The desire for a federal Europe is from those who are going to benefit most - probably those who are not elected!
I cannot see a great future for the EU - there is far to much divergence and too many differences. As a trading block with common goals it may have been sustainable but now that it is highly political I suspect it is doomed in the long-term. Christine Legarde's interference in the economies of countries in the EU - her push for austerity has failed and that will go towards the unravelling.  I am amazed she is still around as she doesn't seem very competent!
I would like to see strong trading links with Europe - this was the initial intention of Common Market, but the unification of Europe is a pipe dream and not desirable due I suspect to major differences in culture and history. I think differences can be very healthy and desirable and add to society rather than watering it down but forcing unification simply pushes people into a corner and engenders hatred and anger. People will find a way of living with each other left alone - they will find an acceptable way.  The EU often feels as if it is this great powerful edifice that commands countries and their populations to do its bidding and the electorate has rebelled!

Re: For whom the bell tolls?

If Deutsche Bank fails before we initiate Article 50, then the UK as an existing EU member state we will likely be forced to bolster the EU banking system with emergency funding, probably in the region of £30-40 billion.

Re: For whom the bell tolls?

You wish! Right now I am urging my son to delay paying his VAT bill for as long as possible!