Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

jlw8300 jlw8300

Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Dear Mr Cameron,

Though I’ve lived in either Belgium or the Netherlands more or less since the U.K. joined the EU, I’ve always been proud of being British – until now. Now I’m ashamed to be associated with a nation which could be so taken in by your own reckless gambling, the opportunism of Mr Johnson and the sick anti-immigrant populism of Mr Farage as to provide majority support to the LEAVE campaign.

How DARE you give up! You got us into this mess; it’s up to you to get us out of it. Get out of your self-indulgent funk and start fighting for the cause which you still claim to believe in, namely U.K. membership of the EU.

START by making totally clear to your peers in other EU countries, to the European Commission and to the media that they should STOP talking and acting as if the U.K. had left the EU already. Stress that, whilst we’ve had a referendum on the subject, referenda are – by law – only advisory and that it’s up to Parliament (not you or the Cabinet) to decide what action to take as a result. Tell them that Parliament hasn’t yet decided on this action and that unless and until the U.K. invokes Article 50, we remain a full, fully committed, member of the EU and are entitled to participate in the normal way in all EU activities and decisions.

Then STOP talking as if the referendum result was a valid reflection of a British desire for the U.K. to leave the EU. Because you screwed up by losing a gamble with Britain’s – and Europe’s – future, all the referendum shows is that British people are totally divided on the question. Accepting the referendum result as a valid expression of national will implies that you would also have to accept that it was a vote in favour of break-up of the Union with Scotland and a vote in favour of returning to the troubles in Northern Ireland. I’m sure that you don’t want to go down in history as the man who caused the disintegration of the U.K. And what about the generational differences? Do you really believe that the LEAVE votes of a majority pensioners, who will suffer the consequences of their vote for only a few years or at most a couple of decades, should count as much as the majority REMAIN votes of their children and grandchildren, for whom the consequences of leaving the EU will endure for generations to come? Nor, I think, was there a vote in favour of the racist behaviour we have seen since last Thursday. You know as well as I do that the referendum result was a largely a consequence of years of biased self-serving media reporting and government failure to be honest about how European decisions are reached, combined with the disgusting LEAVE campaign conducted by the traitorous Mr Johnson and the despicable Mr Farage – and your failure to properly respond on the question of immigration and to explain the restrictions you negotiated.

Continue by being honest with the public about the role of the Commission (little more than our Civil Service) and of the Commissioners (appointed by National Governments) and similar in function to our Ministers, but with less power because decisions are taken by the Council of Ministers. Similarly about immigration: explain that, yes, we have an obligation regarding free movement – but that immigrants are required to find work and that the jobs market in the U.K. is such that half of net migration isn’t even from the EU. Maybe you could promise to go back to the other EU members to negotiate better (real?) limits on free movement so that all countries, not just the U.K., could impose limits to prevent swamping of the jobs and/or homes markets, or excessive concentration of immigrants in particular places. Do other members not understand that the U.K. suffers from excessive immigration demand because its language is so widely spoken/understood and because of our internal freedoms? Do they not understand that annual net immigration needs to be limited?

Finish by seeking parliamentary support for a new referendum, now demanded by some 4 million petitioners. Key to this would be to give MP’s a free vote. In keeping with the advisory nature of referenda, such a second referendum should desirably also not present a simple choice between REMAIN and LEAVE, but should allow voters to express their views, and the strength of these views, on a variety of real and perceived issues relating to EU membership. The result should then – if necessary – be used as a basis for further negotiations – aimed at keeping us in, not at leaving, the EU – with Article 50 being invoked only if these negotiations are deemed, by Parliament, to yield an inadequate result.

And whilst you are doing this, please extend participation to expatriates, like myself, who have lived outside of the U.K. for more than 15 years. Our being disenfranchised was a breach of our human and democratic rights to be consulted over a decision which could profoundly affect our lives.

Last, not least, whatever you do, please do your utmost to ensure that you are in due course succeeded by ‘Anybody But Boris’.

I hope that you will not let us down. If you do and Article 50 is invoked, I – and I’m sure a large number of my fellow expatriates – will regretfully be forced to apply for citizenship in our country of residence and will end up sending you the shredded remains of our British passport.

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

jlw8300

You said......

"START by making totally clear to your peers in other EU countries, to the European Commission and to the media that they should STOP talking and acting as if the U.K. had left the EU already."

We already have left or didn't you here the DEMOCRATOC WILL OF THE BRITISH PUBLIC!!!!!

We voted to LEAVE BY THE MAJORITY.
There were no caveats other than a MAJORITY be it by one vote!!

You along with many millions of bad LOSERS can shout as much as you like the die is cast...... We Are OUT!!
Peter C
jlw8300 jlw8300

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Sorry to have to tell you, but you are wrong.

Whilst there was a majority in favour of LEAVE, and whilst Mr Cameron has indicated that the U.K. would invoke Article 50 of the EU Treaty, it hasn't done so YET. Moroever, it's consitutionally not up to Mr Cameron to decide: its up to Parliament to do so.

Until Parliament endorses Mr Cameron's intent and until the then government actually invokes Article 50, we remain a full member of the EU and continue to be bound by its rules. Even when (and if) Article 50 is invoked, we formally REMAIN member until the completion of negotiations on the exit, a process which is specified as taking up to two years, extensible in certain circumstances.

Until Article 50 is invoked, I, and everyone else who believes that the referendum was fundamentally flawed, has every right to seek to have it declared invalid, re-run, etc. Already more than 4 million people have signed a petition calling for a re-run...

Even you might like to reconsider: was your LEAVE vote intented to also be a vote in favour of break-up of the U.K. or for the loss of tens of thousands of jobs in the City? That's what is almost certain to happen if we actually leave the EU: Scotland will go its own way; it's anyone's guess what will happen in Ireland and many banks - unlike the LEAVE campaigners - have well defined plans concerning how they will react to a BREXIT.

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Off course we remain in the EU until article 50 is triggered that goes as a given.

There is already a big enough discontent to politicians and main two party's in Tories & Labour........

Its going to be political suicide in any party who seeks a rerun a legal referendum that has been been voted on and overturn the decision of the people.

I am not saying it won't happen but the only party I  have come out and said they would stand on a 2nd EU referendum is the libdems and they are so desperate for voted they'd do anything.

Labour is in total disarray they don't dare not listen to the mostly working class who voted leave, which was clearly seen in region by region.

Tories well they have already ripped each other apart on one EU referendum I don't see them having a rerun.

So which party do you put your money on to hold a rerun

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Just to add.....

As a Scot myself I voted to Leave rUK in 2014 and I accepted the defeat without kicking and screaming for a rerun.

The SNP are deluding themselves if they think they get a 2nd Scottish Independence referendum out this.

The SNP have been told by the EU .....

You joined as part of the UK, you voted as part of a UK referendum to leave the EU So you leave as part of the UK and basically told to come back once you are an independent country......which will not happen !!

Why do you think Ms Sturgeon has only said 2nd Scottish Independence referendum is on the table....... She knows there is no real shift towards a YES vote to leave the UK.

The SNP have lost my vote in any 2nd indie referendum and my families and extended family and many many friends.

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Just heard on the news

Ms Sturgeon got a frosty reception by EU leaders.....basically kick her butt and said the EU must only negotiate with the UK government.

This backs up what I was saying

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

You are both right and Cameron needs to sort out the mess, or he will end up reviled even more than Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and Theresa May! Maybe Parliament can persuade him to have a rethink about resigning for all our sakes!

Scotland does not have a cat in hell's chance of going it alone, outside the EU, nor does Northern Ireland for that matter. This is NOT the time for division! Although Strurgeon's ambassador to the EU positively grovelled yesterday (it was so embarrasing!) even the EU may hesitate before taking on another liability!

I am with Peter and John on Scotland all the way, and if Sturgeon can't see what is blindingly obvious to most Scots, she needs to relinquish her position fast!

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Totally agree with you on Ms Sturgeon and to be honest the SNP are only as strong due to Labour's weakness.

But you are right this is not a time for  more division.

I say the tories should move fast and elect Boris and get article 50 triggered and see us through the exit door.

Then once we are out the EU it's for other party's to decide if they want to risk going for a manifesto to join the EU again.
Peter C
a patriot a patriot

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

I'm not going to say anything to you jlw8300, but if I did it would equate to sex and travel !!

Re: Follow-up of the Referendum - an open letter to Mr Cameron

Jlw8300

What you are asking for is the destruction of democracy, I know that such a stance is symptomatic of the Europhile, mind frame, hence the adoption of qualified majority voting, a system that magically gives the Island of Malta with its population of 446,600 citizens and three MEP's more voting power than the UK with it's 65,100,000 citizens and our 73 MEP's, which is probably why the success record of  our MEP' s from all party's in protecting the interests of the British people has been so appalling( losing in some 70% of all votes).

If as an expat you and your fellow should decide to apply for citizenship of another nation within the EU and post back your then redundant shredded UK passports,  we will gladly accept them as a symbol your betrayal of your national identity that they will be duly noted and declare all who take such a disloyal stance will be considered as 'Persona Non Grata' and we will refuse to allow you back into the UK should the realisation of how stupid you have been sinks in.