Quantcast

EU bullying begins

Today Donald Tusk stated that trade agreement's between the UK and the EU cannot be considered until after they have calculated what they want to charge us for the impertinence of leaving the EU.

They have also gifted Spain with a veto over the status of Gibraltar if the EU cannot agree a trade deal with the UK.

Spain has been threatening Gibraltar for some time, there have been regular closures of the border crossing and over 200 incursions of Gibraltarian waters by Spanish Government vessels in the past 20 months.

Re: EU bullying begins

Another example of how EU rules only seem to apply to GB. As a British protectorate Gibraltar has the same rights as us and Spain have no right to close the border when it suits them. I've no doubt the people who travel from Spain to work on the Rock are better off than they would be working in Spain.

Re: EU bullying begins

Yes they are, the unemployment rate in the nearest Spanish town is running at 40% while in Gibraltar where some 10,000 Spaniards travel daily to work unemployment is '0'.

Re: EU bullying begins

I get really really annoyed when i hear the comments about a "divorce" from the EU and that there should be a settlement paid by one side (UK)........

Just in case anyone is in any doubt there was no "marriage" between the other 27 EU countries........ The EU is a club and countries are invited to join said club!!!

If i stop attending a golf or football club i am not expected to pay a leaving fee!!

If i have been a member of a gym club and have paid up front i expect to lose at least some if not all that years subscription.

I do not expect to continue to pay for the gym's future prosperity by paying vast sums of money on leaving the club.

Clubs are not a unions of marriage, they are something we chose to stay a member or leave as and when i chose......

This is what the UK as done by voting to walk away from the EU club not a marriage so no divorce/walkaway penalties apply.

The EU say we have made comments and yes they should be honoured but only up to as and when we leave the club but not a penny afterwards.

What about the buildings, roads and major infrastructure that has been built since we joined the EU are we going to be refunded for those or payments made for what we have already invested into the EU

Re: EU bullying begins

Just posted this on Sunday Times Digital:

Mr D Akenhead 7 minutes ago
pending
If that little clique of despots in Brussels think they can continue to ignore us when it suits them they are about to learn a painful lesson. My advice to Mrs May, is play it cool, and a waiting game. I believe the dominoes are about to fall and we do not need to put a case for any kind of bargaining now, when they know full well that Uncle Sam has had enough of Little Frankreich and Little Deutschland too! It is we who are owed big time, not them! Enough of the butter mountains and the decimated cod industry here in Newfoundland thanks to the greedy French and Spanish domination of EU fishing rights! Farage was supposed to help, but it seems didn't. Maybe he saw what he was up against first hand and realised the fultility of one man against a corrupt, rotten cartel!

Re: EU bullying begins

I make you right David. It is us who are owed big time. One of the reasons they
want money from us on leaving is to pay for the pensions of our Euro mps and
the host of administration staff currently employed, who will be out of a job. They have been robbing us blind for years and years and in more ways than one. Our support of these countries during two world wars has cost us dear. The US virtually
skinted us in return for their late contribution during WWII but we eventually paid off our debt to them whilst also contributing to the EU. How many of the EU countries
contribute their fair share to defence and what may I ask have many of them done with all the monies they have received over the years. Poland has been benefiting
forever and continues to do so. I doubt we will ever see the monies given to Greece and the like again that has just been wasted.

Re: EU bullying begins

Farage didn't even attempt to help with the fishing rights - he didn't even attend the debates.  We will be out of the EU soon enough and no-one has a clue about what will happen, what sort of deal we will have or with whom. A deal has yet to be struck and that deal will not be totally in May or anyone's control - it is called negociation. Forget Uncle Sam - they will do what is good for them and Trump - we will not figure at all if we can't offer anything. As for the rest of Europe - i doubt that Germany will want to lose our trade - German goods are very popular here. The French sell their rather cars, as do  the Italians and other white goods - will they want to lose that market - I think not. Obviously the EU hierarchy are fearful of the whole dreadful edifice falling down and will try some sabre rattling but it is all part of the game - just like May with her own remarks about no deal is better than their deal. I suspect a deal will be struck May or no May, hopefully the latter. There will be no state run education, health or public services with her so her arrogance may well fall flat - I really hope so!

Re: EU bullying begins

Mary S

The Labour party want to remain in the single market which means accepting free movement of people and EU law.

This is utterly unacceptable.......

The Labour party and Tony Blair (war criminal) have not grasped the wishes of the Brexit the people want.

Forget about monies promised for NHS most people took that with a pinch of salt, the main thing was to get back our right of self determination, make our own law's and control the flooding of our country with immigration uncontrollable immigration from the EU.

Labour have not grasped the nettle on this even though the Labour party leaked voted to UKIP last election.

The Labour party need to reach out with the party faithful/membership and start listening to what people want and not what the leadership perceive as what they want.