Council Austerity Cuts

dave 1 dave 1

Council Austerity Cuts

It as been mentioned on this site about Council Austerity Cuts due to the Government.I think a lot of Labour Councils waste our money on needless projects and take away amenities from the people with the intention of angering them so they are then able to blame this Conservative Government.My own example for our area is that our Council closed down all amenities in our local parks,sacked the work force then set on a lady to head the Council with a salary of £170,000.Who on earth is worth a £170,000 salary working for Local Government.She is not the only one with such high pay.Austerity is what the Council make it.I bet you would not hear them scream as loud if it was a Labour Government implementing Austerity measures.I know this is true for when I was working our trade union people always made sure we did not rock the boat if a Labour Government was in.They all play Politics with peoples lives.

Re: Council Austerity Cuts

dave 1 dave 1

Re: Council Austerity Cuts

Peter,what happened to this tower block is horrendous and I totally agree that there should be no cover ups what so ever.who ever is at fault,contractors,council and Government should all be brought to book,but I will add that if the Council did their job they will have known that the cladding was not fire proof by checking it out,that there where no sprinklers and fire alarms.How did this building get passed by the fire services?Just a few of the questions that MUST be answered.The Council should not have gone ahead with this work if it could not have provided the basic safety fire precautions.Austerity does not stop the Councils from always checking for it's peoples safety but ineptitude does.I will ask you this Peter,since Austerity came in how many Council Officials as had huge pay risers,bonuses or high expenses that the rate payer as no say in.I mentioned just one case in my own area but I know of many more and I will agree with your point that it can be a Labour or Conservative Council,but I feel that the opposition Parties are using austerity arguments for Political gain and this is morally wrong.

Re: Council Austerity Cuts

dave 1 dave 1

Re: Council Austerity Cuts

Peter,before I retired,we opened a library and community centre in 1991 and the fire service came in and gave their recommendations of smoke alarms,sprinklers,fire alarms and keeping fire doors clear,fire blankets and fire extinguishers.Now they can not enforce their recommendations but they come back year on year to the authority they are dealing with.The law needs changing so that the fire service demands that the recommendations can be done and will be done.I also say I had 34 years working for the Local Authorities and the Council always,always went for the cheapest quote whether there was austerity or not.I would also say that fire safety SHOULD have come before cladding.I say once more were was the Building Inspector to pass this cladding.If the Council ignored his report then they should be brought to book.I will also remark why was the buildings close by past by the Council when there was not enough room for the fire services to get close enough.