Cigarette branding.....

Jenlo Jenlo

Cigarette branding.....

Lansley has gone power crazy.
Plain wrappers...we will be going Psst, nudge nudge, wink wink, knock three times in a bit.
Amazing! They don't want us to smoke, yet try and buy cigarettes on the internet from abroad and Customs are on you like a ton of bricks.

All jumped up politicians come out with very bizarre new rules (when in power).
How come alcohol isn't sold in plain packaging?
Read the next proposal by the government:-

Easter eggs to be sold in plain packaging

Sun 1st April 2012, posted by editor

Public health campaigners welcome proposals

Easter eggs could be sold in plain packaging from next year.

Public health campaigners want all seasonal confectionary to be sold in uniform beige packs which research has shown is the colour that is least appealing to children and the obese.

Proposals being considered by the Government would remove all branding and colourful packaging in an attempt to reduce indulgence levels.

Under the proposals, to be discussed in Parliament, no brand logos will be permitted on any Easter egg although companies will be able to print their name and the brand in small, standardised font on the box.

The packaging will also feature a stark health warning that will cover 75% of the front of the pack and 90% of the back. Graphic images will feature double chins and belly fat.

Public health groups have welcomed the proposals. "If this legislation stops one young person from picking up a shiny, glitzy Easter egg and prevents them becoming addicted to chocolate then it will have been worthwhile," said Candy Barr, chief executive officer for Action on Eating and Health.

“We would also like Easter eggs to be sold behind closed doors in retail outlets. At present they are on open display which is far too tempting for customers.”

Campaigners say that a recent survey based on interviews with 13 children aged 8-15 showed that underage consumption has increased by 650% over the last five years.

“Binge eating of chocolate has been a problem for years,” said Barr. “People, children especially, are particularly vulnerably to temptation at Easter. If we are to tackle the obesity epidemic we have to do something now.”

Hands Off Our Packs, which campaigns against plain packaging of tobacco, said the proposal comes as no surprise.

Spokesman Angela Harbutt said, “Public health campaigners are always looking for the next logical step. Tobacco and alcohol are being threatened with plain packaging so it was inevitable that confectionary would be targeted as well.

“The belief that government can impose a brand ban on every ‘unhealthy’ product is getting ridiculous. This time next year every item in the shop could be behind closed doors or in plain, uniform packaging.”
CTG CTG

Re: Cigarette branding.....

JENLO

If they plan to stick a warning on all things that are unhealthy for us I can give them a few suggestions on where to stick the health warning on MP's.
johnc_9 johnc_9

Re: Cigarette branding.....

The idiots in power think hiding things from plain sight like cigarettes in supermarkets will reduce demand but all it does is make buying them the same as from an illicit source. Then if they go the plain wrapper way, how will anyone know if they are buying genuine or fake goods?

If they want people to stop smoking then make it illegal, stop selling, importing and making them. Then tax the rich sods ie anyone getting more than £150,000 at a tax rate of 80% to replace lost revenue and let's then see what happens to this country. Look out Greece we are coming to join you in bankruptcy cos we have a government more worried about wrappers on cigarettes and easter eggs than getting our economy on track without raiding the pensioners and poorer people of the nation!
Harold Bastow Harold Bastow

Re: Cigarette branding.....

I used to be a heavy smoker lots of years ago,and there were only two brands of cigerattes.Plain and tipped,so none branding would not have effected me.My choice was plain.