Quantcast

Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

me me

Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Everyone's up in the air over David Camerons' comment that Britain is a Christian country.I thought the Queen was head of the church of England which surely means that Britain, "technically ",  IS A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY!  We have countries that are predominantly Muslim, try telling them your offended by that .

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Well no one can deny that the UK has been "traditionally" a Christian society.......

However here are some statistics that clearly indicate that the UK is no longer as strong a Christian society.

Church Attendance in the UK:

According to the 28th report (2011) of the British Social Attitudes Survey, 20% of the population are affiliated with the Church of England (compared to 40% in 1983). However, the report found that 48% of this group never attend services; only 8% of people who identify with the Church of England attend church weekly.

More generally, the BSA Survey discovered that 56% of people who were brought up in a religion never attend services, and only 14% do so on a weekly basis. In the 26th survey it was found that 62% of the population never attend any form of service.

According to ‘Religious Trends No 7 (2007-2008)’ published by Christian Research, overall church attendance in the United Kingdom has diminished rapidly in terms of percentages and in real terms.

In 1990 5,595,600 people, representing 10% of the UK population, regularly attended Church, by 2005 this number had reduced to 3,926,300, equating to 6.7% of the UK population

By 2015, the level of church attendance in the UK is predicted to fall to 3,081,500 people, or 5% of the population.

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

The big worrying factor in David Cameron's claims about his "Christian" faith I s a much more worrying factor for the Christian faith, where he said........

David Cameron reportedly claims he was simply doing God’s work.

“Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago, ”Mr Cameron said. “I just want to see more of it.”

This kind of statments by David Cameron the man who's Tory policies and his Christian faith have heap "Misery" on the most vulnerable in our society........

Unemployed....... Alienated and seen as pariahs in society!!

Disabled........ Made out to be faking illness and forced off benefits such as.......

The blind man who could only manage to pick up an "empty" box and carry it from one side of a 6 meter room to the other side with the aid of another sighted person guiding him........ why would an employer employ a blind man and employ another sighted person to guide the blind man to carry out his duties!!

Bedroom tax being forced on single parents (usually the father) because he wants to play an active roll in his children's life he requires a spare room but is punished by David Cameron's bedroom tax!!

I could go on & on & on but I'll stop now as I think the above are sufficient to show that David Cameron's claims to be doing God's work is harmful to your Christian faith and it is these outlandish claims by David Cameron that will further cause the ever "declining" numbers of the Christian faith.

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

me,

You said........

"I thought the Queen was head of the church of England which surely means that Britain, "technically ",  IS A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY!"

The Queen is head of the church of England, this does not make Britain a Christian country........  "technically" that makes the Queen the head of an every diminishing Christian Faith!!

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Peter C

The basis of our indigenous culture is a Christian one, our laws are based on Christian principles, so irrespective of the participation of the general public in church ceremonies remaining at the minimum level of Christening's , Marriages and Funerals, at the root of everything we believe ourselves to be, we remain intrinsically Christian!

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

John K

I would not disagree with your comments.

I said in an earlier post......

"No one can deny that the UK has been "traditionally" a Christian society.......
However here are some statistics that clearly indicate that the UK is no longer as strong a Christian society."

I then went on to give some statistics on the falling attendance to the Christian faith which clearly shows that the Christian faith is in rapid decline.

Were as the Muslim faith is on the rise not only here in the UK but in Europe and in America to a greater or lesser extent.

In regard to or laws being based on Christian principles/values, even these are being nibbled away at with some aspects of Sharia law being enshrined into UK law.

The point I am making is.......

Yes the UK is in principle a Christian society with our laws etc being built and enshrined in Christian values and beliefs but with an ever increasing decline in the Christian faith and attendance at Christian church's and the rise in the Muslim faith in the UK and our liberal laws that prevent the likes off......

No coloured lights at Christmas because coloured lights offend certain other faith.

Shop staff being told "NOT" to wish customer's a "Merry Christmas" but say "Happy Holidays" in fear they may upset a certain faith customer.

When shops won't display the baby Jesus in a manger in fear that it offends certain faiths.

Even the "biggest" Christian event Easter is under threat with the disappearance of Easter displays in shops in fear it upsets a certain faith.

I am sure you will agree that with our laws being used by a certain faith to slowly eradicate many Christian events and the start of Sharia law being enshrined into UK law, it's fairly clear that our Christian based society and laws are under direct threat of being every so slowly eradicated.

As you know I am a nonbeliever or unconvinced about any of these man made faiths but my parents and grandparents were all of Christian beliefs and brought me up with Christian values and attending church doing many charity events and even though I am unconvinced about the teachings by any faith, I do believe that our Christian values and laws should be upheld and protected.

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Like you Peter I am a non believer but accept that ours is a Christian based society
that should be protected at all costs. I do not believe you have to be a church goer
to uphold Christian values i.e. "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
etc. There is an article in the press today about a British tourist who is being deported
from Sri Lanka because she has a tattoo of a Buddha on her arm which is seen as
culturally insensative to the native's religious feelings.  This is what we should do to
people who try to impose their religious beliefs on this Country. It is not us who offends but those of different cultures and religions who do not respect the indigenous
population of our Country. As has been said many times on this forum if they cannot accept our culture and beliefs they should either go home or be sent home. Sod their human rights, we should come first in our own Country.
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Peter,I think that there are more people in this country with a Christian based faith than what statistics show.People have moved away from the Christian Church,not because they have no faith but because we have evolved into thinking for ourselves and do not need to go to Church to be preached at.I for one would not like to be forced to attend Church as was done in the past,just so they could rule people and I would not wish to give this freedom up by having other faiths force me to attend their religious establishments.I and my family have a spiritual belief based on some Christian values.We,like many others in this Country,would not show up in statistics.
adminukpolitics adminukpolitics

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

i think his comments have more to do with UKIP than eucharist

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Dave 1,

The stats I have posted are making a very clear point which is that Christian faith attendees are in a very rapid decline.

I understand there are many people like yourself and your good lady who will nit show up in these stats and if you look closer at my own post I clearly said that......

Even though I am a none believer or unconvinced of an God of any faith, I also said my parents and grandparents brought me up with Christian values, going to church and taking part in charity events.

My Christian based upbringing has made me the person I am today, which I would consider myself living prove that you do not have to believe in a "mythological" God figure to do good in your life.
I say "mythological" God figure because there is no one presented any proof of any God and it has to be said all faiths have had their share of ugly past where things were done in the churches name such as wars, burning women as witches and the church has been guilty of oppressing women and that is just Christian churches.

Oracle has said she is a non believer to, I don't know her personally but going on her posts she writes she comes over as a very genuine, caring and loving person, which I'm fairly sure her upbringing will have been similar to most indigenous British people.

Just to clarify, I am not knocking the UK's Christian faith core values which I would take up arms to protect if our past Christian values came under threat from any other faith.

You don't have to be taken in and forced to believe in a book (bible) written by man to control the masses, after all even if the bible (story book) was 100% genuine, it was not written to well and keeps getting updated to fit modern times and it does not stand up to scrutiny and it is left open to far to many different interpretations.

The biggest problem with all religion is that to many wars have been fought in the name of God......  You may or may not have notice that George Bush & Tony Blair (war criminals) were very careful not to proclaim their wars were done in the name of God.

I like to think I am living proof that human beings do not need a "mythological" God figure to do good and that is why the figures I have posted that show an ever declining attendance in Christian churches as a fact of life.

Peter C
susiepooh susiepooh

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

This really is ludicrous. Of course we are a Christian country by history, governance and tradition and we must hold on to that, otherwise we would lose everything of our own rich culture and heritage. I don't want my country to be one where people walk around in silly masks and try to change what they have come here for - by living in Britain, multi-cultural or not, new comers must adapt to the culture they have chosen for the sake of peace and prosperity. Who wants to look at them anyway!
susiepooh susiepooh

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

You are right, but what are you and we trying to prove and to whom? We know what we are, what we believe in and frankly are fed up having to justify our existence!
petter55 petter55

Re: Camerons' comment on Christian Britain

Yeah you are right susiepooh!! If you are in Christian community then you have to hold this tradition with full respect. I want to read more relevant points on Christian values.