Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

John Terrington John Terrington

Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

May we consider the U.K.’s trading arrangement with the European Union (EU) if we did decide not to contribute and left the Single Market, if this happened the UK should not expect to have tariff free trade access into their single market of 444 million individual, nor will the UK have any control over specifications of goods and services into the single market

Let us compare the single market with a sports club where one member (the UK) decides to leave the club and not to contribute to the expenses, but still turns up to play and use the facilities. The example shows that the 27 other members would rightly impose charges, e.g. tariff on trade.

I suggest it is not beyond the ability of the EU to tell us now, how the UK would be treated in trade matters. They certainly would not roll over and allow us tariff free trade into their market of 444 million individuals if we don’t contribute and only offer them a market of just 64 million in return.

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

You are assuming, John, it seems, that the EU will somehow manage to remain in its present state if we did decide we'd had enough???!! Somehow, I very much doubt it!

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

John

The UK is a member of the WTO, as such if the referendum results in a Brexit vote, then under WTO rules the EU is legally compelled to automatically offer the UK preferential trading partner status!

This means that under article 50 of the Lisbon treaty the negotiations to establish the UK trading status with the EU will be fast tracked and I have no doubt that this will be finalised well before the 24 month deadline.

Commercial pressure will be put on the EU to rubber stamp the UK exit by Mercedes, BMW, Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat, Renault/Dacia, Citroen/Peugeot. Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Maserati/Ferrari, Volvo/Saab in the Automotive Industry.
In 2015 German motor car exports to the UK alone were valued at 19 billion euros, if the EU set up trade barriers to UK exports to the EU the German Car Industry would go into immediate recession and German unemployment rates would double within months of Brexit.

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

The Germans would have every reason to deal with us, especially with joint stockmarkets, and chances are they'd do a Dexit with us!

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

Not content with selling us down the river over Europe, I understand that while he was enjoying his Easter break in the Canaries the UN backed Argentina's claims to the Falklands. Oh dear! clearly no finger on the pulse! Fine mess, you've got us into,  yet again, Ollie! He'll have to go!

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

John Herrington

On the 1st November 2014 the right of Parliament to legislate over us in 43 areas, the important ones, was removed and made subject to approval. They called it QMV, Qualified Majority Voting.

Each member State has lost it's right of Veto over these areas, so Cameron’s idea of  negotiation to recover any areas of UK sovereignty went out the window at the same time, it was simply a facade!

The following areas of competence were switched from requiring unanimous approval of all member states to qualified majority voting only:

Initiatives of the High Representative for Foreign Affairs – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Administrative co-operation – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Asylum – Nice: QMV; Lisbon: QMV
Border controls – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Citizens’ initiative regulations – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Civil protection – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Committee of the Regions – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Common defence policy – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Crime prevention incentives – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Criminal judicial co-operation – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Criminal law – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Culture – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Diplomatic & Consular protection – Nice: Unanimity Lisbon: QMV
Economic & Social Committee – Nice: QMV Lisbon: QMV
Emergency international aid – Nice: Unanimity Lisbon: QMV
Energy – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
EU budget – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Eurojust – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
European Central Bank – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
European Court of Justice – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Europol – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Eurozone external representation – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Foreign Affairs High Representative election – Lisbon: QMV
Freedom of movement for workers – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Freedom to establish a business – Nice: Unanimity Lisbon QMV
Freedom, security, justice, co-operation & evaluation – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Funding the Common Foreign & Security Policy – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
General economic interest services – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Humanitarian aid – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Immigration – Nice: QMV; Lisbon: QMV
Intellectual property – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Organisation of the Council of the EU – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Police co-operation – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
President of the European Council election – Lisbon: QMV
Response to natural disasters & terrorism – Lisbon: QMV
Rules concerning the Armaments Agency – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Self-employment access rights – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Social Security Unanimity – Nice: QMV; Lisbon: QMV
Space – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Sport – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Structural & Cohension Funds – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Tourism – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Transport – Nice: Unanimity; Lisbon: QMV
Withdrawal of a member state – Lisbon: QMV

A brief review of the Treaties confirms the Transitional arrangements which allow, only on specific votes, for the Nice Treaty Provisions to apply from 1st November 2014 until March 2017, hence I imagine PM David Cameron’s determination to delay our referendum beyond that date, tying Britain for ever within the non-democratic, totalitarian and now clearly despotic EU.

Re: Brexit would make trade with the EU more difficult

The other 27 members of the EU constantly out vote us anyway. What is democratic about the vote of countries who are only receivers and not contributors having more weight than Britain, one of largest net contributors?