Barack Obama

Re: Barack Obama

You and me both Peter.  Along with other countries the USA wants us to remain in the EU to suit them. They care not a fig for us, only what they can get out of us. America may have joined forces with us well into WWII after Pearl Harbour but boy did we pay them handsomely in financial terms. I believe it was in 2002 that we finally repaid the debts we incurred to Canada and the USA.
For Obama to make reference to the thousands of US soldiers who lost their lives is hypocritical in itself.  They did not decide to join the battle, the US government of the day sent them because it suited it’s agenda.
The British people have given their all in defence of our Country and others during both great wars and how have our Governments responded. They stitched us up in the original referendum and they are trying their best to do it again. As in the 1970’s decisions are being made during secret meetings behind closed doors. The majority of these people purporting to have our best interest at heart, including all these wet behind the ears politicians were not even around during the 1940/50s, so what do they know. I do know that if they had been in charge we would have conceded to Germany way back then instead of in “2016”.
Rule Britannia! Vote out!

Re: Barack Obama

Oracle and Peter,
Obama should mind his own business and keep history shut. The referendum is for the British electorate and no business of anyone else.  The issue I suspect is at stake is TTIP  - which is obnoxious and should be avoided at all costs. The Americans would really benefit from this deal and it would be to our detriment which is yet another reason to leave the EU.
A very interesting remark was made by Marcus Brigstock a few days ago. There are many problems with the EU - lack of democracy, the gravy train and ineffectual MEP's among many others. He said that MEP's are regarded by the electorate as second class MP's and attract low calibre people - what we need are stronger, brighter and more credible MEP's who stand up for us - the current bunch are weak and lily liveried who completely let us all down.
I think he has a good point but if we had better MEP's it wouldn't change the fact that the EU is well past it's sell-by date! I do wonder, however, if we had had a higher calibre of MEP's with British interest at heart rather their own the EU would be more representative, democratic and fairer all round.

Re: Barack Obama

Mary S

I disagree with your evaluation of all the UK's elected MEP's, the eurosceptic ones at least irrespective of their party allegences are working hard to prevent the EU from overwhelming us with a tidal wave of new and entirely undemocratic legislation every day that threatens to engulf the UK and destroy our national identity.

Compared to Cameron and co they are victims of betrayal because Westminster having signed the Lisbon treaty have allowed QMV to pass into EU law which means that despite being the second largest net contributor to the EU, the UK MEP's who number 73 now have less voting power than Malta who have just 6 MEP's.

BfB Briefing Note 5
Defenders of the status quo tend to hold the European Parliament up as an example of the European Union’s democratic credentials and a body through which the UK can wield itsinfluence. Here, British MEPs are sent to debate motions, vote on them, and ultimately defend the interests of the voters who elected them.
However, new research from Business for Britain has revealed a system badly in need of reform, with British MEPs currently holding only limited power to steer legislation without making large, impractical alliances.
This report analyses each instance in which a majority of British MEPs opposed a motion in
the 2009-14 European Parliament.1 Our research shows that British MEPs were unable to stop
the majority of proposals they opposed from being passed by the European Parliament.

Our research finds:
In the last term, 1,936 motions were put before the European Parliament. 576 of these
motions were against British interests and were voted against by the majority of British
MEPs.
However 485 of these motions still passed. This is a failure rate of 84 per cent.

In party terms, the Conservatives failed to block 87 per cent of the motions they opposed, Labour failed to stop 53 per cent, Liberal Democrats 36 per cent and UKIP 95 per cent.

Looking at all 1,936 motions put before the European Parliament, only 7 per cent were
rejected.

On current trends the UK, already one of the most underrepresented states in the European Parliament for its population size, will suffer a further reduction in influence
over the next six years.
That forecast will be reaced by 2020.

Re: Barack Obama

Twice now Cameron has decided to manipulate Referendums, ours in Scotland being the first. Let's hope that the public is wiser now to call Obama's bluff and boot our traitor of a Prime Minister into the long grass where he belongs. I watched BBC World News America this evening and seeing that smug face made me squirm! Where's the bucket?!

Re: Barack Obama

Re: Barack Obama

So much then for this “Special Relationship” between GB and USA which Obama has now made abundantly clear, only exists if USA are pulling the strings and GB are dancing to their tune. We are now being 'threatened' that should we vote to leave the EU, America would not even be interested in negotiating any trade deals with us because they are only interested in deals with a Bloc and GB would be relegated to the back of the queue. So it seems USA have more in common with the French than they do with us and who needs friends like either of them! I know this much that whatever way the vote goes, the relationship between GB and USA has suffered irreparable damage.

Re: Barack Obama

There is no such thing as a 'Special Relationship' between the US and the UK, if it suited the American establishment to ditch the UK then they would do so without hesitation.
The only true 'Anglophile' president of America was F D Roosevelt he was succeeded by possibly the worst of all US Anglophobe's, H S Trueman, the man who penalised the UK with our version of the Marshall Plan while at the same time granting unbelievable advantage to Germany from the same scheme, so much for being an ally to the yanks!

Re: Barack Obama

I agree with you John, Oracle, Peter, Mary,

Another priceless cartoon from Peter Brookes amid the racket!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Feaba16ea-08b9-11e6-88d9-e8ff08e2a4bf.jpg?crop=2711,1807,616,188&resize=758

Re: Barack Obama

P.S. It's Boris!

Cameron's his sound engineer!

Re: Barack Obama

John - I was merely interested in the remark made by Marcus Brigstock and I tend to agree with you. We are underrepresented and I suspect that bright or not makes little difference.  I loathe the lack of democracy in the EU which is one of the major reasons why I want out. There also many other reasons rather too many to post!
As for Obama poking his nose in - it is merely self-interest. This so-called special relationship - it is crap - we just follow whatever the current president says. I find it nauseating watching our politicians toadying around the Americans and I fail to see any special relationship that only stands when it suits them. We should be able to stand alone and set our own course without interference from anyone else - least of all America or the EU mandarins.

Re: Barack Obama

Mary S

Obama I suspect may have done secret deals with commercial healthcare providers in the US and in Europe who will have a vested interest in the success of the TTIP deal, which if agreed will see the ultimate destruction of publicly owned and funded healthcare organisations throughout the EU and even here in the UK, it will also see the replacement of elected Governmental control legally passing into corporate hands. Any attempt by elected bodies to block such a move after the agreement has been ratified by Quantified Majority Voting will under the terms of TTIP result in corporate lawsuits against any Government in the EU, even those who opposed TTIP but were outvoted.

Re: Barack Obama

Obama left these shores this morning to fly straight to Germany into the arms of Angela Merkel. I wonder what deals they will be cooking up between them!  I’ve no doubt Obama will get more out of Angela than David Cameron managed.
It’s time for us Brits to stand up and be counted. Show these two faced Yanks and Europeans what we are made of. Let them know we will not accept the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Turkish nationals arriving on our shores as a result of secret undemocratic decisions made on our behalf and we will not be threatened by America if we refuse to bow to their wishes.  If we are such an unimportant, powerless nation why is everyone so concerned about us leaving the EU?
I watched that pathetic excuse for a Home Secretary, Theresa May on the Andrew Marr show today. This woman must be the worst performing cabinet minister ever.  She is more than happy to remain in the EU because more than anybody else she relies on being able to blame that administration for all her failings with regard to tackling immigration and repatriation of undesirables who land on our shores. She was unable to answer time and time again questions put to her with regard to Britain regaining control of our borders. According to her it would seem it is not possible whether we are in or out of the EU.
dave 1 dave 1

Re: Barack Obama

All we are getting on the media is telling us to stay in the EU or else.We are not hearing a balanced view.We are not hearing any comments from the out campaign,on the media.I will say that having Obama telling us to stay in Europe comes across as the Government in a panic.We keep hearing that if we come out of the EU there will be a loss of jobs.it as just stated this morning that there is going to be 10,000 jobs to go from BHS.Jobs are disappearing rapidly yet we are still in the EU.We have got over a million people using food banks while we are in the EU and still rising,and a huge homeless population in this EU utopia.These are the benifits of staying in the EU.I'm voting OUT.