BBC Licence fee

Everyone in the UK who receives TV broadcasts into their home or business is compelled to buy a TV licence,
Does it represent value for money?
Has the quality of regular programming improved?
Does the BBC offer impartial political broadcasting?
Does the BBC offer impartial political commentating?
Is the BBC paying it's managerial staff and celebrity presenters too much of our money?
Is it right for the TV licence fee to be used to fund the roll out of high speed fibre optic broadband?
Jenlo Jenlo

Re: BBC Licence fee

John,

My answers to your questions.

1/ Definitely No.

2/ The programming is abysmal.
They have lost all morality and their Humour.
Everything they do now is swearing and sex.

3/ No impartiality.

4/ No impartiality.

5/ Yes they pay very obscene salaries.
The amout of money they must have spent sending all those reporters and crew to cover the American election, was way over the top.

6/ No. The media companies such as Virgin, BT, Sky etc charge excessive fees for their services. Let them pay for the roll out.

Now that the BBC is on about showing Muslim Friday Prayers.
I think we should be able to choose not to have the BBC.
Just like we have a choice not to sign up for Film and Sport packages.

Re: BBC Licence fee

It should be renamed the EBC! That's where the real lip service lies! May as well go the whole hog, and call it ECB - call a spade a spade, I say!

Re: BBC Licence fee

I would caution against getting rid of the BBC - I would not want under any circumstances any more of the media owned by the likes of Murdoch and his ilk. At the moment we do not have a press speaking for the left or even the centre left except possibly the Guardian and even that is pandering to the Remoaners far too much.
As for the BBC being impartial I personally haven't found that to be quite the case. Its reporting is similar to ITV.
I would hate to lose its fantastic documentaries which have lead the world. These programmes, notably those made and/or narrated by David Attenborough are respected throughout the world. Having travelled widely I have yet to find a public broadcasting company to rival the BBC. Australia and New Zealand are woeful and Canada is no better. I haven't been to the US but if it is anything like Canada with adverts every few minutes we have nothing to look forward to if the public continue to complain about the Beeb so that we see it's demise. It is relatively cheap to buy a license and due to it's standards, keeps other companies on their toes.  It also seems that for some reason the public want to see celebrities albeit far too highly paid on their TV screens. I am willing to put up with some of those rather puerile programmes in order to keep the fantastic drama and documentaries.
I would not want to see it sold off to anyone - it is a good public broadcasting company and the fact the successive governments seem to want to see it's demise is a good reason to hang on to it - they must fear it!  I would be very careful about what you wish for - I don't want to end up like the US, Australia and NZ and their awful TV programming. Public broadcasting should stay public and not in the hands of rich media barons!
I am very aware that my opinions will not be appreciated by most, but I hope they will be respected much as I respect others differing opinions.

Re: BBC Licence fee

This post was updated on .
I agree with Mary! Without BBC Canada I'd probably consider returning to my beloved UK!

attached link of a play I was in recently. I used to work as an agent for BBC Publications in Florence when I was teaching in the Veneto, way back!

http://www.gregsparkman.com/index/G0000AW.Svjli2nw

Re: BBC Licence fee

David - I am surprised that you agree with me - I thought I might get an onslaught of disagreement from lots of people - I expect that there will be! As I said my post my biggest fear is the likes of Murdoch gobbling it up if it was privatised.  I accept there are some rubbish programmes but there is a diversity across television at present if it was sold I have a horrible feeling we would lose our excellent standards and be swamped by even more cheap puerile crap. A lot of the Freeview stations just recycle BBC programmes and some ITV dramas as well but a lot is just reality rubbish which is fine for those that like it, but I do like to have a choice, and love wildlife documentaries and Springwatch and Autumnwatch for example. I accept that TV programmes are not made solely for the few so having a diverse set of programmes seems appropriate for all.  It is about choice and the Beeb gives us just that.

Re: BBC Licence fee

The BBC is actively pursuing an anti British campaign, if you don't believe this then please give examples of BBC broadcasts that support the will of 17.4 million voters who opted to leave the EU, I think if you wished to demonstrate the BBC support of those who voted to remain in the EU you would be spoilt for choice, not surprising really since the EU pays the BBC hundreds of £ millions every year so it might be seen as churlish for the BBC to criticise the agency that in even some small part is filling it's coffers.

There is also the case of the racist employment policy of the BBC where it has adopted a policy of positive discrimination in favour of preferentially recruiting Black, Asian and Oriental staff at ratio's out of all relation to proportions of  those ethnic minority groups in the UK population as a whole, indeed the BBC news editor and the director of religious broadcasting are both Muslim Asians, the make up of BBC world service presenters which can usually be seen by British tourists when on holiday abroad are very much staffed by ethnic minority personnel. I purposely carried out a comparison between the ethnicity of BBC world broadcast personnel and Al'Jesira personnel and found the BBC to be guilty of ethnic discrimination.
I for one would support a root and branch reformation of the BBC including mass sackings of senior management and crucial examination of the political bias of front line presenters, failing that I would call for the ending of the service altogether and the abolition of the TV licence tax.

Re: BBC Licence fee

What broadcaster would you suggest is impartial and worth watching, to get, in particular, trustworthy news and information?
I don't read a daily newspaper but do buy a Sunday paper. I find most newspapers lack impartiality and I am very suspicious of the much of the media as it is owned by rich barons who are far from impartial.  I have been through most of the freeview channels for news - Al-Jazeera, RT, Sky ITV, Channel 4 and 5. I also get news via the internet. Have you any suggestions for good news reporting? I enjoy the BBC wildlife and science documentaries. Drama is good from the BBC and ITV, th other freeview channels don't quite compare in terms of production values. I don't have Sky so can't make a judgement in relation to those channels.
I can't bring myself to purchase any Sky channels as they are such a rip off and are owned by a media baron I detest.
I can't challenge your views discriminatory practice at the BBC as I haven't attempted to spend the time that you obviously have.
My biggest fear of losing public broadcasting is it being sold off to even worse media barons, who will never be impartial and will dominate the news and what we can and can't see.  I have very high regard for so much of the BBC broadcasting having experienced such rubbish elsewhere, that at present I will continue to pay for my license.

Re: BBC Licence fee

I think the future of visual media is going the same way as the newspapers, that means moving to online broadcasting which will result in massive downsizing of organisation's, shedding unnecessary properties, reducing staffing levels all of which reduces their financial requirements dramatically, why should the BBC retain the huge public funding that it currently receives via the tv licence?
Let it compete with the other media sources on a level playing field, it will mean accepting advertising revenue like the others, but so what!
By using the internet as a delivery platform it may be possible for end users to opt  out of the adverts in the way that viewers using YouTube can do. This would mean that reception would be from anywhere around the globe, users in other countries do not need a licence to receive broadcasts why are we in the UK so heavily penalised?

Re: BBC Licence fee

I was hoping you might be able to recommend a good credible news on TV. I think that if the BBC was forced to go online it will take a time as there are a number of the population that are not computer/internet savvy.  I do my best to avoid advertising as it can be more than a little irritating. It is also getting more and more prevalent as it is in North America - having an advert every 5/10 minutes is not acceptable to me at all. I agree that it would be really great to have a more level playing field in terms of news reporting as the establishment has it's heavy hand on the way, and what we receive it the media and we don't get news that isn't influenced by it.  I am, as you are, fully aware of this and tend to filter out a lot of what I read, see and hear. I suspect a large number of the population have the sense to do the same. The establishment tend to regard us as stupid - that was more than obvious after the Brexit vote - the reporting of those of us that voted for Brexit were of a certain class and education - this indicates to me how frequently they underestimate th electorate - long may that continue! I, do not, however agree with dismantling the BBC for the reasons I have mentioned previously, there is too much good when compared to other countries and other media outlets which churn out such crap. I am fully aware of the establishment and its influence on our society - it has strong vested interests in maintaining the status quo - Brexit has proved that we are sick to death of the arrogance and power that it has, hopefully things will change.