A wish to return home

Nicolas Heaton Nicolas Heaton

A wish to return home

Dear Mr Cameron,

I am sorry to say that I am at a loss and I don't know if any one can, or would want to help myself and my family but .
I am a UK citizen living in Australia, after relocating with my parents when I was fourteen years old. I have never become an Australian citizen (I only hold a UK passport) as I have never felt any particular affiliation with this country and always known I would return home.
But as always, Life happens while you are busy making other plans (paraphrasing John Lennon there I think) and I am now the proud father of Four children. Three daughters of my own (ages three, four and five) and my step son (aged ten)(we have successfully applied to court for orders to relocate to the UK with my step son).
I have run a hairdressing salon for the last fifteen years which we sold last year so I could finish off the house and ready it for sale, while my wife works as a Division 1” Acquired Brain Injury Nurse (She also works across many of the Nursing disciplines)
We are both well skilled professionals who have prided ourselves on doing things for our selves and our family with no outside help. We are aware that my wife will need to prove her skill level and she is currently preparing for her IELTS exam to ensure her command of the English language.
But now we find that while I am welcome to return home along with my daughters and even my step son who qualifies for an EU passport my wife (and my children’s mother) is not welcome (An Australian!).
We would like our children to grow up in the UK we have worked towards this for the last two years.
When we came to Australia you applied and were assessed.
Now to return home who do I talk to? I do not want to be referred to the internet as my questions have not been anticipated and when I ring (on a user paid phone number) the High Commission in Australia you get an answering machine telling you to call New Zealand and after giving them your credit card details I'm told that if I have £65'000 in the bank I could get a Spouse Visa, as I have sold my business and as such have no “Job”.  I currently have only the income from the sale of the business.
Or I could move home, work for six months and then apply to bring my wife over.
Please tell me that this is not correct. I am a born and bred British subject married to a commonwealth subject.
I want and my family want to live our lives in the UK and be a part of the UK.
I cannot tell you how it feel to be rejected by my country.
I am disillusioned with the Australian way of life and do not want these values for my children, I want (as I am sure we all do) only the best for them.
So now here I sit virtually stateless, not wanted by my homeland, not wanting to be a part of my current residence. And finding no one who can help me, that is the most hurtful, I always thought that my country was exactly that. My Country.
I am at a loss to see the logic behind these dissensions that are designed to split a family up and deny me my right to live with my family in my country of birth.

If any on can help or advise me I would be most appreciative.

Yours

Nicolas & Carolyn

Re: A wish to return home

Nicholas, you have my sympathy.

Unfortunately in the UK today if you are seeking to re-enter the UK as an indigenous UK passport holder and are; Heterosexual, Caucasian,  Christian in your perception of right and wrong, and able to offer through your personal skill base no need for state dependency then you will not receive help of any kind from H.M.Government.

Out of curiosity what do you find unacceptable with the Australian way of life?
Nicolas Heaton Nicolas Heaton

Re: A wish to return home

Don't get me wrong Australia has been good to both my-self and my family but I think that on the whole most Australians are shallow "CUBS" (cashed up bogans) who rarely look outside there own back yard, while selling most everything of value to China (Minerals farm land etc) this does not bode well for the future.
I look at what my children are offered and I think back to what I grew up with and it makes my children look like they are being short changed, I never wanted to move but at fourteen you don't get a lot of choice (but on the up side I have my wife and four fantastic children).
Australia has no cultural heritage (some might say no culture)and suffers from a lack of cultural identity, and is becoming more and more Americanized. This is not for us.
I may have some slightly rose tinted glasses but we want nothing from H.M Government other that the right to live work and share in what I always thought of as Great Britain.
P.S  And its Bloody hot here, Oh for a bracing North wind biting at your cheeks  :-)
a patriot a patriot

Re: A wish to return home

I think you'll be in for a BIG suprize if you were to move back over here, you could try contacting somebody in Poland, I'm sure they could get you and your family over here, or move to Rumania or Bulgaria and just wait for the mass exodus to the uk, and finally, find a politician willing to accept a nice big bribe.

Sorry but the UK is just not what it used to be

Re: A wish to return home

Nicholas, as John has pointed out, sadly it appears you do not fulfill the criteria for entrance into the UK nowadays. You are not African, Asian, or Eastern European. I think you would find Britain a vastly different place to that which you left. Virtually everything in this Country has been sold off to the highest bidder. Apart from small businesses, you will struggle to find a British Company anymore. There are no British car manufacturers, all our utilities are owned by foreign companies including our water. Great swathes of London are owned by foreigners and you would assume you were in a foreign country in many towns and cities. Christmas and Easter are not the same anymore,  in case our Christian celebrations upset the muslims. Our beloved NHS is under constant threat from the private piranhas and is struggling to cope with the increase in patients, but the Government in it's wisdom continues to shut hospitals. Our education system is in decline due to constant political in fighting and it is not always easy to get your children into your school of choice, plus there is a dire shortage of housing. I am sorry to be so negative but this is the sad state of affairs in a Country that is now ruled by the bureaucrats in the EU.
Nicolas Heaton Nicolas Heaton

Re: A wish to return home

Thank you for your thoughts, sadly they all share a common theme, and they do say that the grass is always greener, you should see what they have sold over here, everything.
when we bought our current home we were doing the rounds and if there was intrest from a certain eastern country you walked away as they would out bid you we saw one place that I loved and thought I would give it a run we went $80'000 past list price and it sold for $190'000 over list price. Though I do hope they are looking when we sell...
I could be wrong but I was fairly sure that Mr Cameron gave a speech last year about The British way of life and people coming to Britain should realize that they are coming to a " Western Christian society" ?
We hold no religious beliefs if you want to believe in a small lump of green putty (Thanks Douglas Adams) fine but here School now has "Festive Season"...What the hell happened to Christmas? the don't forget the speech from the religious zealot who compared women in swimwear to meat left out for dogs.
But I digress.
I am absolutely gobsmacked that the Government of MY country will not accept  my wife and mother of our children in OUR country.
Can you fathom what it would feel like after years of quietly thinking I'm OK I still have my passport, I can go home.
Then to find out "sorry sunshine well take you and if you work here for six months we might let your wife in"?
Or if you have a spare £65'000 in your bank we might let her in?
I don't know about you but last time I checked under my mattress there was defiantly not £65'000 hiding.
I /we want nothing save the chance to live in the UK ad raise our children in the UK.
I don't know how many of you have children but let me tell you having four we are our own economic stimulus package!
But none of this is what matters I have been let down by my country.
Now what am I supposed to do Give up?
Nope.
But I do think tat when it has come down to yes you and the children can come but not your wife, what the hell does Great Britain hold up as its tenet.
If you want to see how bad things could get have a look at the politicians over here!
Still, Please keep you fingers crossed for us.
Thank you.
Nicolas.

Re: A wish to return home

Nicolas,

You are getting what we Aussies call "the bum's rush"

My mum was Australian - born and brought up - moved to UK before WW2 and became British Citizen. I was born UK, British, my father a Scot, I emigrated to Oz on the £10 in the late 60s, and became Aussie citizen. Just because you don't like Oz is no reason to turn down dual nationality. As you may be surprised to hear from other posts, the old country is not the same today. However, I discovered that by getting Australian nationality, it opened doors for me in Canada, who has a special relationship with Oz. I am now a permanent resident in Canada, and hopefully will be a full citizen 2.5 years hence. My advice to you, is become an Australian, then apply to become Canadian. Once you get to where I am now, you will find it easier to get British citizenship for your family, because, guess what? another special relationship with joint ownership on many things including the Stock Exchange! London's independent square mile, is still a thorn in the side of the EU, and as long as that remains, a spark of hope remains for people like yourself to be once again recognised as they were back in the times of conflict with Germany and the Axis powers - equals, with equal rights for you and your family. I hope those days of conflict are past, and I sincerely hope that someday soon the majority view in Britain will once again prevail, that we are and always will be a solid independent sovereign entity, happy to do business with anyone who wishes to do business with us, but for ever liberated from the shackles of a Federal, thoroughly corrupt, and thoroughly un-British Europe! P.S. Canada, particularly the very British province of Newfoundland are looking for new immigrants, particularly Brits. I think you and your family would be welcome here! Our weather is very similar, and although we are the size of the whole of UK and Ireland, our population is still just over half a million, but we enjoy a good standard of living here - furthermore, it's only just over 4 hours direct to Heathrow - what you might encounter on the M4 from Wales!
David A
Jenlo Jenlo

Re: A wish to return home

Nicolas,
Just an idea.
Why don't you try Jersey or Guernsey as a stepping stone the the UK.
As previous posts have said Great Britain is no more.
We are the dumping ground for the worlds desirables.
We indigenous have less rights in our own country than immigrants and religious groups.
We can't even deport people, because the EU say so.

...And maybe you might find the Channel Islands a better place to live even if you just go on the population total.
As for the 'Western Christian Society' it is dwindling rapidly.
Lots of our schools have ceased to do the Nativity Play at Christmas because of some religions.

Or do as David says and move to Canada.

Re: A wish to return home

Jenlo

Jersey, Guernsey and the rest the channel islands are not part of the UK although they are Crown dependencies, officially they form part of the estate of the Duke of Normandy which is therefore the property of Queen.

Immigration is strictly controlled by individual Island criteria, On Jersey it is based on the wealth of the applicant, £2million might be a starting point.

Guernsey ; All employed people have to obtain a Right to Work document to prove they are legally housed. If you are not already a resident of Guernsey and want to apply for employment, you need to ensure that you will be able to find accommodation. If you're working in the finance sector then the Housing Authority will issue you with an 'essential housing licence' which is usually attached to the specific job you have been hired for by your new employer and which entitles you to live in Guernsey. Without a valid housing licence, you are not allowed to remain on the Island. These licences are generally issued for 3-5 years durations.

There is little to do on the Islands when you are resident 365 days a year, however Guernsey is only 30 miles off the French Coast, Normandy & Brittany are full of pretty villages, quaint old towns and spectacular chateaus.

Jenlo Jenlo

Re: A wish to return home

John,
I know they are not part of the UK and know it can be expensive.
I didn't realise you would need as much as £2million.

Having said that, their are Eastern Europeans that have managed to move there.

It was just an idea if Nicolas is desperate to leave Australia.

Re: A wish to return home

Jenlo

Yes Jersey is very elitist, Guernsey is a more modest if xenophobic island.
My maternal Grandfather whose family name was Falla( a Guernsey name since 1452 probably originating from the Falaise region of Normandy)was born just outside of St Peters Port, Guernsey in 1870.
Nicolas Heaton Nicolas Heaton

Re: A wish to return home

While I/we do have a burning desire to return home, it's just that home not any where else.
By the the same token while my wife looks at trying to be sponsored into the country as I sold my business last year to get us ready for selling the house and generally organized to move back, we are not going to throw ourselves on the financial scrapheap to do this.
The Pound looks good against the $AU and if we sell in the ballpark of what the agents are saying we could come back with either no mortgage or a small one.
It just shouldn't be this hard we are both workers and with four small kids and a dog (yes we would be bringing him too, would you believe we have already had all his shots done as we just didn't think it would be this hard) I just don't see how we could do anything other than aid any economy and if I say so myself, I do think we would be a net gain for the locals (I think my kids are brill).
Wish us luck.
N.

Re: A wish to return home

Nicolas,

You're telling me! the Australian dollar will buy lots of pounds - those pounds have lost 8 cents against the US $ since Christmas with no immediate signs of abating! Holidays abroad for Brits are becoming increasingly expensive as a result. I share your passion for the mother country that was, but be prepared for cities barely recognisable, and countryside afflicted with rustlers - you may be in for a bit of a shock, that's all I can say. That's not to say there aren't still plenty of very good folks there, and still offering wonderful health care in pockets, but for the most part, Cameron appears to be living on the Never Never, allowing general rundown allround, with patchup employment from the EU, but Davos, at least, has given him a sharp wake-up call, let's pray he doesn't go back to sleep for all our sakes, or by the time you get there you might not have a pound to change against!
David A
Wardlai48 Wardlai48

Re: A wish to return home

Learning and practicing makes the man perfect. My sister in law also wants to settle abroad and making all her efforts to clear the exam. Taking classes from ielts coaching in Chandigarh since a month and seen a lot of improvement in the mock tests conducted every week. Will continue for fifteen days more just to polish her skills.